Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Anyone use this? Stanley Rotator ratchet..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone use this? Stanley Rotator ratchet..

I found this at Wal Mart the other day.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....otator+Ratchet

You twist the handle, and the socket rotates, or you can use it like a conventional ratchet.

Seems like it would come in handy during plug changes.

Anyone use one?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Launching!

I use one, but its a snap-on blue-point branded unit. it does come in handy often, I love it for my bellhousing bolts, or where you are in a hard-to-reach area. like an area with a lot of extensions where ratcheting can make the socket fall off the bolt head and make you curse like a sailor.

a friend of mine has that exact ratchet, and between it and the blue point, the blue point feels like the mechanism is stouter; the stanley weaker but with more gear teeth(less movement to make it ratchet.) the blue point has an all steel handle with some knurling, the stanley with a semi-hard rubberish plastic for a handle. the only thing I dont like about the blue point model is that the forward-reverse selector is a plastic cap, I havent broken mine, so I guess it is pretty durable still, as ive dropped mine a few times, but I was a little dissapointed in the fact that something snap-on sells has a plastic piece on it.

Id reccomend having one. once you have the bolt broke loose, you can finish twisting out the bolt just by rotating your wrist back and forth, as the handle also ratchets on both models.

I think snap-on discontinued the blue-point model - snap on driver told me the head was too large for some areas or some other kind of bullsh*t, whatever.

but, you can find it on ebay where people are liquidating a bunch of em for pretty cheap prices. with all the ones that show up there lately, ive seen em go for as low as twelve bucks and as high as forty, either way a pretty good deal. i think it was called a rapid ratchet in case you wanted to search for it on ebay.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:07 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

I used one that had the T handle at end. Nice for tough spots, but the T got in the way because I wasn't used to it.
How much torque can you get with that style??

Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use the Husky pro Rotator Ratchet 24903 from HD. I love the ratchet and it is the most used tool in my box. It is amazing for sparkplugs.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Launching!

torque? not enough to break any decently-sized bolt free. you could possibly get a smallish 7-9mm bolt, something like a chassis ground, broke free with the handle ratchet using some good strong forearms.

its mainly something I use to finish pulling out a hard to reach fastner once its broke free.

like the above poster said, its great for something like a spark plug, where it can be hard to reach em with anything but a socket, and once you go beyond that point where there isnt enough resistance to counter-turn the ratchet, you can still finish unthreading the spark plug by twisting the handle.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to pick it up. I think it'll help out alot when I'm doing plugs on my Formula.

I'll check out the Husky one, but for 25 bucks, the Stanley one seems like a decent deal.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Launching!

seriously, check ebay for the blue-point units if you are interested. after i posted that I went back and looked, found four up for auction with two of em that ended up selling for under 30 bucks shipped.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nine-eight
seriously, check ebay for the blue-point units if you are interested. after i posted that I went back and looked, found four up for auction with two of em that ended up selling for under 30 bucks shipped.
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a great price.

Quick Reply: Anyone use this? Stanley Rotator ratchet..