Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

powder coating gun/setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default powder coating gun/setup?

I am thinking of getting a gun to spay small parts (brackets and such) at home.

I would rather avoid the "el chepo" guns that I see around online ($20-$50 kits) and instead get something that will LAST, yet avoid needless "bells and whistles". To set the "quality level", all my air tools are Ingersoll and Chicago Pneumatic, 220Volt/7.5HP/35CFM@145psi compressor, and 220Volt MIG and TIG.

As I said, I'm not doing business stuff but rather this is to take the place of spray painting small parts that would otherwise have to go to a local powder coater. For anything "big and special" I'll take to a professional.

So what should I look into? I know some guys on here do home coating (manifolds/valve covers/calipers/etc), what do they/you guys use?

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 08-09-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Have you seen any of the eastwood kits? I believe you need a dedicated oven to cure the powdercoat. Sorry I cant offer any first hand experience but it might be a place to start.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I was trying to avoid that "level" (seemed like I might could pay a "bit more" and get a much better gun). I can always get a cheap/used oven from GoodWill to cure stuff in...
Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

For my small stuff that you mention. I use the POR stuff. Easier for a newbie like me to brush on.
I got a cheap elect oven from a buddy that got a new one. It just seems easier to me & the finish is excellent.
I coated a set of exhaust manifolds ~8-10 years ago & they still look great.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Just an FYI to everyone,

Whatever you do DON"T put powdercoated items in your kitchen oven. There are some nasty chemicals released in the curing process. Trust me, I work for a supplier of powdercoating.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Depending on how into it you want to get there are a ton of options. If you want to do research I find this forum very helpful:
http://forum.eastwoodco.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

That being said, here are my .02:
I use the Harbor Freight(HF) gun, it is low cost (~$50-60), and if it breaks I just exchange for another. Many guys start with this gun, and later keep it as a permanent gun for a popular color (like clearcoating, or black).
The newer guns out such as the sBay gun, and the more consumer oriented stuff from Columbia Coatings(CC), and Powder by the pound (PBTP) are pretty similar and a good step up from the HF stuff. Here is a good thread on some of these newer options:
http://forum.eastwoodco.com/showthread.php?t=8523

FWIW I see a lot of guys have had problems with the eastwood pro gun, I have never had any experience with it though.

For powder for a small user like me PBTP has good prices on powder, and other supplies (high temp tape, plugs, caps, etc...)

Your real limitation is the size of the oven you can cure stuff in. So get the largest you can because soon you will be looking to do larger stuff.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where could I get a larger oven(for a decent price)? I've been looking through craigslist, but all I see is those slightly larger ovens that won't hold a set of longtube headers. I considered trying to make a big oven from 2 regular ones, but I'm not that handy with fabrication yet. I did find one oven from a restaurant, but it was over $1000. I also looked into building a large metal box and using two IR lamps, but was told that IR lamps don't really get the job done and sometimes have uneven coverage.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 AM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

i've used the eastwood gun for a couple years with no issues. it's a pretty good piece for the price.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

make your big insulated box and then use the elements out of the regular ovens, you will have to experiment with what temps you will achieve, the most important part is good insulation
Old 10-04-2008, 03:13 PM

I've lurked long enough and finally have a reason to post.

Powder Coating Beginners Blog

little site I've been putting together over a few months with some good details and all with getting started.

Powder Coating Guns --- direct link on an article I wrote breaking down the various guns, most of which I've used.

Powder Coating Oven --- a large capacity oven I'm going to build for our shop, figuring in materials and everything I'm under $2,000 for an oven large enough to do fenders, bike frames, solid rears and plenty of other items... and I will be posting plans for this build too, though I don't have a ton on it yet

Got any further questions, just lemme know
Old 10-04-2008, 03:16 PM

oh, and best powder suppliers

columbia coatings
eastwood
caswell

Those are the only 3 I use, hell caswell will color match anything for you as long as you buy 5lbs of powder
Old 10-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NIC will match anything also, that is if what you want isn't in their chart of 6500 colors already.

alot of guys like Powder by the Pound as well.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Teching In

I've been using Eastwood's PC kit for about a year with no problems. For the powders, I usually use Roseyspowdercoating.biz , they have a decent selection. As for the oven, I started off with a 30" oven that needed an element (bought the oven for $15 bux, and it even came with a good element!) But now Ive converted a double oven into a single oven to do bigger parts.

Anyways, Id definitely look at Eastwood's kits. If you really want to get technical, Id look into Caswell. I believe they have an adjustable voltage gun which comes in REAL handy when you're doing 2-stage jobs, or trying to coat over chrome or anything like that.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my Eastwood pro gun has adjustable voltage. If does however cost 6 times what the hobby gun does. Not sure if anyone else has a less expensive gun with adjustable voltage, there could be.

Quick Reply: powder coating gun/setup?