Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

sandblaster and air compressor combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:53 AM
Teching In

Default sandblaster and air compressor combo

im looking for a sandblaster and air compressor... i dont need a top of the line sandblaster since i doubt i will use it that much... right now im looking at a harbor freight sandblaster and craftsman air compressor.. Is this air compressor good enough for the sandblaster? if not please shed some light and recommendations!

sandblaster
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42202
air compressor
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools

goal is to spend around 500/600 ish..
Old 08-21-2008 | 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

That compressor will last for a VERY short time, being hooked to a blaster.
No CFM rating shown, only 160psi being touted. That compressor is especially weak as it's an "oil free" design. @1.6 HP... it can't do much.
The blaster box would work well w/ a compressor in the 5 hp/60-80 gallon range. [Look at the Kobalts at Lowes]
Old 08-21-2008 | 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree, that compressor is junk. It will drive you crazy. It will be LOUD, hot, and make lots and lots of water (which is a sandblasters' worst enemy).

Sandblasters like lots of CFM. The more air the better. They also like dry air.

At this point I'll never get a direct drive oilless air compressor again. Belt driven oiled all the way. They're much quieter than those direct drive rattle traps.

Don't shop PSI, don't shop tank volume, don't shop horsepower... with an air compressor, it's all about the CFM. Get the most CFM you can afford.
Old 08-24-2008 | 11:06 PM
Teching In

so how much cfm should i be looking for?
Old 08-25-2008 | 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb here's a link..

Originally Posted by lil benny
so how much cfm should i be looking for?
to a site that has about the best blasters, accessories, and info, that I have seen. I get all my "stuff" from them.
http://www.tptools.com/p/2566,53_Cla...t-Cabinet.html
That HF ad doesn't tell you what cfm you need, but the link shows a comparable blaster, complete w/ the pertinent info you need...
Old 08-30-2008 | 01:15 AM
Teching In

i know you guys said the air compressor wont keep up but im only using this for bolts and small braces ex a brace and suspension pieces.. would it be efficient enough?

or should i just get http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0003+90015+985
i feel i wouldnt put that to much use tho...
Old 08-30-2008 | 01:35 AM
Teching In

also how sand blasting can you do with a 50lbs media?
Old 08-30-2008 | 02:46 AM
TECH Junkie

i know you guys said the air compressor wont keep up but im only using this for bolts and small braces ex a brace and suspension pieces.. would it be efficient enough?

or should i just get http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0003+90015+985
i feel i wouldnt put that to much use tho...
link doesn't work...
Old 08-30-2008 | 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb That

also how sand blasting can you do with a 50lbs media?
bag should last a considerable time. 2 key items:
1. Use dry air.
2. Don't jack the psi up. Most blast cabinets use less than line psi. Very hi psi will cause the glas beads to shatter into dust. Then the cutting power goes away.

As for your other ? on the HD compressor.. That link says the item is not available.
As a reference point: My Kobalt is rated at 17CFM @90psi, and has an 80 gallon tank. The pressue sw is set to off at 175psi, and on at 125. My blast cabinet will turn it on fairly fast, when blasting whatever.
Another item that will hammer the compressor is worn out blast nozzles. Poor media pickup causes extended blasting time, and the compressor pays the price.

I don't use glas beads.. I use a Dupont product called Starblast. It cuts faster, and is alot less $ than glas beads.
[Like $14.00 vs $50.00]

Bottom line: Buy the right tools for the job, and buy them once, or...
Old 08-30-2008 | 12:40 PM
Teching In

yeah hd site is gay.. its prob cuz each region you have to type in your zip code to see certain products... it a husky 60 gallon tank. 429$ about 12 cfm @ 40psi and 10.X cfm at 90psi? i THINK those numbers are off the top of my head should be give or take .X cfm
Old 09-01-2008 | 02:43 PM
Motorboater

you are going to have a hard time running even a benchtop cabinet with any compressor that can't produce at least 10 CFM at 90 PSI. that small compressor you posted would die a slow death yes, but even worse you would get about 20 seconds of work time before waiting 5 minutes for it to fill up enough again. not exactly productive, right? 80 PSI is about the most pressure you need to run to blast, and will keep the media alive longer.

I blast with 80 grit aluminum oxide. I don't like glass bead, doesn't last long and doesn't have the cutting power i need. however 80 grit AO does leave a well blasted surface on aluminum parts, perfect for powdercoating which is what I do, but may not be the desired effect to be left plain. glass bead leaves a smoother and more shiny surface on aluminum.

the problem here is the info on the cabinet on HF that you linked doesn't list the required CFM/PSI. The size of the nozzle you use in the gun also will determine how well your compressor is going to do. Bigger nozzle=more CFM used by the cabinet.

You will also want to be sure whatever cabinet you buy has plastic tear offs available for the viewing window, or you will ruin the viewing window in pretty short order and then the cabinet is useless.

as mentioned you also need dry air into the cabinet, be sure to put an good quality water filter inline before the cabinet.
Old 09-01-2008 | 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Ah, just my subject. I'm an Assistant Manager at a Harbor Freight and I own the 40lb sandblaster. Works freakin great! Here is the link to the sandblaster that I recommend to all http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ubCategoryName FWIW HarborFreight.com is for the internet business. HarborFreightUSA.com is the link to what the retail stores carry. Confusing, I know. This blaster can be had for $79.99 when it goes on sale. I have a 5hp 80 gallon Rolair compressor at home and its all it can do to keep up with the sandblaster. If you can keep it at 125 to 100 psi then you're doing some work. At 75 PSI its time to let it build back up. You will definately need a nasty compressor for sandblasting. Also, for about $15 more you can get a deadman valve http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=92189 This makes it easier to do the work without having to turn a cutoff valve. Just squeeze.

But definately, volume and CFM are what you NEEEEEEED for sandblasting.
Old 09-01-2008 | 11:44 PM
Teching In

i just went to hf today.. im really liking the 40lb floor cabinet.. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

they also had a compressor with pretty good specs...
$397.98
60 gallon 150 psi air compressor
brand name: US general
14.15cfm @ 40psi
13cfm @ 90psi

pretty good? what do you think
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

US General can be confusing. That is a Kobalt compressor with US General on it. Same as our big red tool box. Its a Snap On box. A former snapon employee now works for HF and we purchased the plans to a discontinued snapon toolbox... and now its a US General box.
Old 09-03-2008 | 06:01 PM
Teching In

any comments on us general brand?
Old 09-03-2008 | 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Its fine. A customer brought a Kobalt Compressor from Lowes and it was identical... because they are the same. What does that tell you?
Old 09-03-2008 | 11:24 PM
Teching In

whats the warrenty on the kobalt air compressor?
Old 09-03-2008 | 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

To buy the compressor with the name Kobalt on it you will have to get it at Lowes. To get the exact same (same factory, same paint, different name sticker... and same part# i think) compressor at HF it will say US General. 90 Days unless you wish to purchase an additional 1 or 2 year waranty. It covers anything that can you can possibly do to it, no questions asked, up to being stolen. We have a concrete mixer at the front of our store where the concrete hardened and made it useless, but the man puchased a protection plan and got a new one for free.
Old 09-04-2008 | 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Hey i got both products ... and i hate both!!!
for sure..

compressor
Cons:
- .. it need lots of time to fill the the tank ..and it does not keep the pressure when you are painting or blastin ...
-sounds like a diesel truck with a hood open .. annoying
-as soon as you buy it you will need to replace the drain valve because the one it got is a cheap piece ..
-seem like it got rust inside ..from the first day you drain it .
-the air outlet is too small ..forget connecting it to a 3/4 piping or bigger

Pros: cheap

for the cabinet ..
Cons:
-its a dust machine .. it will not keep the dust inside the cabinet .. it leaks like ****.
-you will need to get an air filter extractor
-you need a big tube of silicone to seal the cabinet
-door seal strip need to be replaced for a thicker one .

pros:
-cheap

if you need more info let me know
i go with this setup because of it being cheap .. but i was very disapointed to be honest i expect

btw never buy a black & decker pressure washer HEHEH
Old 09-04-2008 | 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Which compressor did you get?

Quick Reply: sandblaster and air compressor combo