User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

search does not work!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

since search went down the # of repeat posts and stupid questions went up by like 600%

every time i need info i go oh i'll just sear...oh wait it doesn't work

then i go on a different forum
Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea getting tired of having no search function... Using google to search ls1tech is sad...... this needs to be addressed before we lose a lot of the population here... No matter what you search it brings up random useless crap.

Also what happened to the drop down menu on search results that allowed you to sort by relevancy or post date etc.... I know you can do it in the search field itself but it was very convenient when it was an option on the results page.... Seems like when that disappeared the search results went to ****... maybe its connected.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

i think the mods only pay attention to the "official search discussion" thread. I got sick of it not working quite a while back. Theres other places that have the same info that you can actually find and not have to post a new thread for every little damn question. I love this forum it was the first LS forum i joined but its useless now, and im tryin to learn... not to mention the search quit right before i was gonna start my cam swap

this should be removed too.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

In case you guys haven't figured it out, IB changed the search engine. Brains wrote the previous one, they changed it to something else over the last couple of weeks. Brains can't help with the new one, so the 'old thread' is done and dead.

IB, what we need is documentation on how to work the search. Got a link to a technical document on the particular engine you're using? If people are going to search, they need to know HOW to search (like using +'s, can they use -'s, what qualifiers are available?).

I used to be able to search on IP addresses with the old search. Now I can't. That really hinders administrative capabilities. So you "users" aren't alone in what is broken.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

why'd they change it and can it be changed back?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
In case you guys haven't figured it out, IB changed the search engine. Brains wrote the previous one, they changed it to something else over the last couple of weeks. Brains can't help with the new one, so the 'old thread' is done and dead.

IB, what we need is documentation on how to work the search. Got a link to a technical document on the particular engine you're using? If people are going to search, they need to know HOW to search (like using +'s, can they use -'s, what qualifiers are available?).

I used to be able to search on IP addresses with the old search. Now I can't. That really hinders administrative capabilities. So you "users" aren't alone in what is broken.

I figured theyve changed the search since its been like this so long. The documentation on how to work the search would be nice but think about that... All the new members aren't going to know how to use it, people who don't see the documentation aren't going to have any idea how to use it. Why can't you just search like before? Why do we have to have 6 different jibberish symbols before and after what we want?

If it is going to stay like this then documentation and a mass PM with this documentation in it sent to everyone on ls1tech is something they should look into as well as that same PM sent to every new member.

I still just can't understand why it has to be so difficult they have to know everyone hates it... just go back to the one that had the bugs. Atleast when it was working you could find exactly what you wanted with ease.

just my .02
Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did they change it in the first place! I just go over to ls1.com for answers anymore, its pretty useless knowing I can't search for ****. Obviously the admins don't intend to fix it or go back to the old one so why bother, its been like almost 3weeks now. They changed something that wasn't broken and now this is worse then before.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't say it's "broken" as much as it's "different."

I'm pretty sure the package they switched to is "Sphinx," which is another high-power indexing system that can be molded to do what you wish. But, it is still a separate indexing system from the forum database, and there's some implementation details that go along with that which can make it operate differently than the base vBulletin search (which doesn't scale very well).

Can't say I'm in the loop anymore, but I'm sure they've got some bright folks working on it.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i also have to say that new search feature isnt what it used to be. We need old search feature back.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

change it back!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We want Brains back...
Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Change the search function back to what it used to be!!!! The new search SUCKS!
Old 03-22-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't find **** now.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe this is a sign of things to come, a lot of the rats already seem to be abandoning ship.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have not noticed, it defaults to search by date. I would go to advanced search and sort by relevance.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlove
If you have not noticed, it defaults to search by date. I would go to advanced search and sort by relevance.
I have noticed. I have also noticed, that any way you try to search here, it never comes up with anything close to what you are looking for.

And any time I get a response from IB, its always "oh yeah that will be back up soon", which never happens.

The quality is really lagging around here lately, its getting old.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
IB

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I have noticed. I have also noticed, that any way you try to search here, it never comes up with anything close to what you are looking for.
If you search by relevance, it should return the results of what you are after.
Is there a specific term that you are searching for that you cannot find?
Thanks,
Adrian
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Launching!

you can search for something simple and it will give you about 2304793943 results that have nothing to do with what you searched lol, seems the message Searching Relevance Options were dumbed down to increase performance.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Change the search function back to what it used to be!!!! The new search SUCKS!
+1
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dlove
Tried that too............you'd have better luck pissin' into the wind.

Quick Reply: search does not work!