Staging Lane

Internet brands just like Obama = Change we CANT believe in
Old 01-21-2010 | 10:27 PM
Teching In

BOOOO new classifieds SUCK *****!
Old 01-21-2010 | 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crazydavez28
I hate the classifieds they cater to the yuppy non car-literate. The change is bad for everyone. Change the sponsors classifieds so we can do specific part searches from the SPONSORS that will be good for everyone.
The only way to make a point would be to boycott the site till they change it back. Complete site inactivity for a couple days might send the message that they pissed us off.

Seriously, I went to another camaroz28 site and their classifieds are similar to the old ones here. It was awesome to just browse through listings of random parts.
I agree 100%. a boycott would be a way to go. But getting a huge amount of members to do so, that's another thing. I keep it simple. I don't post my parts for sale here anymore, and I don't look at the classifieds here anymore. There are better websites for parts. Over the past year this website has been getting worse. I don't come here anywhere near as often as I used to. I liked the site back when it was simpler. What really annoys me is going into the suspension section here. I read posts where someone is trying to find out a reason for their problem, but instead of getting any answers or help, I see sponsers coming up quicker than flies on **** and saying "check out our website and buy this part, or buy that part, see what we have to offer" Not helping, just trying to sell ****. Like that annoying *** person at the dealership trying to sell you a car and they can't seem to understand that when you say "No", you mean "NO"
Old 01-22-2010 | 01:09 AM
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by OSU Football Fan
Hey guys,
This was just posted in the poll thread by Patrick G:

Guys, Adrian from Internet Brands is very motivated to making things right here on LS1 Tech. He is at a SEMA conference and will not be able to respond to user requests until Thursday. He asked that I relay his intent to make things run smoother and to do his best to make everyone happy.

So hopefully IB Adrian will be able to respond soon.
Well from what Patrick said, I think we should be fair and give IB Adrian the benefit of the doubt; he is obviously not in a position right now to where he could reinstitute the old system so lets be patient and hope that he will listen to the feedback here and make the change when he become available.

DM
Old 01-22-2010 | 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
I don't post my parts for sale here anymore, and I don't look at the classifieds here anymore. There are better websites for parts.
But as NineBall pointed out, the classifieds hurt this site by taking away potential revenue from sponsors. If anything you should post in the classifieds!

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
What really annoys me is going into the suspension section here. I read posts where someone is trying to find out a reason for their problem, but instead of getting any answers or help, I see sponsors coming up quicker than flies on **** and saying "check out our website and buy this part, or buy that part, see what we have to offer" Not helping, just trying to sell ****.
This is very true and very annoying
Old 01-22-2010 | 08:12 AM
Teching In

Default AIG tech

Here is a free piece of advice.

Look at the huge change in activity in these forum areas. It is undeniable. It has died off quite a bit.

Before you would scroll through the first page and part of the second and it would say last post today now you've muddied the waters instead of simplifying ones search.

If you'll notice that even with more listings combined the most recent posts only make a quarter of the way down the first page!

I would venture a guess that the number of people clawing at the chance to post their vehicle on here have also substantially diminished.

This is really the only reason I frequent this forum.

You have hurt your own market. Everything is not bad about the new setup. The preview of price and mileage is excellent a real time saver.

However it would seem that the lsx and non lsx delineation is what we are all missing.

We realize how much work it must be to constantly have to move posts of those who don't obey the rules. Would you rather keep the activity and continue to grow or just slowly fizzle out.

It is my personal opinion that the marketplace is the cornerstone of your forum.

Mods... If you think that this will not affect your bottom line and that of your sponsors then keep going. Maybe the internet gods will throw you a bailout.

Maybe LS1tech is too big to fail.

Ben

P.S. Thanks for your efforts with the old forum. I sold my TA in one weeks time!
Old 01-22-2010 | 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok, it is now Friday. I know it is a little early in the day but I EXPECT to see a response from IB Adrian or a Mod by 5pm at the close of business today.

We need to see some sponsors come on here and voice their opinions since they pay to advertise their business on here.

Let's hear it Speed inc. How about it Texas Speed? Say your piece SDPC.
Old 01-22-2010 | 05:27 PM
IB

Sorry for the slow response - as Patrick mentioned I was caught up this week with a SEMA event.

I am making some changes now to the setup which hopefully will improve it.
In addition, I hope to respond to each of your comments, and see how we can improve it.

Again, I am really sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Old 01-22-2010 | 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

change it back and make everyone happy.

please remove the search from the side of the screen. it bunches the screen to much.
Old 01-22-2010 | 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sub sections would be great... bring the LSx-related Parts and LTx-related Parts sections back to life, and THEN build sub sections in there. If we click on the LSx-related Parts section, we see what we used to see in the past... ALL THE LSX-RELATED PARTS! At the top of this section would be your sub sections... LSx-related motor parts, LSx-related Suspension parts, LSX-related Body Parts, LSX-related Racing Parts, etc. etc... then the same for the LTx guys. This would give the casual browser, like myself, the opportunity to browse like I used to through ALL THE LSX-RELATED STUFF, ALL OF IT, EVERYTHING, IF IT'S LSX-RELATED, IT WAS IN THAT SECTION! Sorry, I'm ranting because I too miss the old setup. I love the new search abilities, but you can still keep the old setup with sub sections, and maintain the new search features. Hope something can be done. Thanks. End rant.
Old 01-22-2010 | 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I am making some changes now to the setup which hopefully will improve it.
I think the best change would to simply change it back to how it was.. As according to the poll that's how 90% of the members want it.
Old 01-22-2010 | 07:29 PM
IB

It seems that there have been 2 main things that people have asked for (apart from change it back )
  1. Make it easy just to search for LS vehicles (or just for other vehicles)
  2. Make the search quicker for it
Now, I will start by saying we did want to improve the classifieds on the site by making them easier to find what you are looking for not make it harder! So sorry for not having the LS/non-LS engine thing in there from the get-go.

I have created a rule now, when someone enters a vehicle, they have to choose whether it has an LS engine (or not), and I have added some links to search just for those vehicles.
Unfortunately it won't add to all the older classifieds, but all new parts/cars for sale it will. I hope that helps.
For #2, we plan on upgrading the search engine to make the results in the classifieds a lot quicker. This might take a bit more time to do unfortunately, but we will work on it!
Attached Thumbnails Updated Classifieds!-ls1tech7.jpg  
Old 01-22-2010 | 07:34 PM
Launching!

^^^Or you could just revert to the way it was? It worked great, why change it at all?
Old 01-22-2010 | 07:39 PM
IB

We had received a lot of feedback that people wanted to easily be able to sort by price/location/vehicle model etc.
The old classifieds (while great) didn't offer that.

The downside of the new classifieds is that they have to have just one forum for parts and one for cars, I have tried to incorporate the old LSX sections and non-LSX sections, and I hope that it helps
Old 01-22-2010 | 08:03 PM
Teching In

Clearly as a business person I would think you could realize that your "customers" want things back the way they were. The poll in another thread indicates only 10% of users like the new format. If I was doing something that made 90% of my customers upset I would stop immediately.
Old 01-22-2010 | 08:23 PM
IB

I understand that only 10% of the people have voted that they wanted it, but it has only been there for a little over a week.
I think if you give it some time to get used to the new searching and browsing options it will be appreciated
Old 01-22-2010 | 08:25 PM
On The Tree

I'm curious how you are quantifying "a lot" of feedback? It seems to me if the old classifieds made people spend more time on the site that means they are staring at the google ads and sponsor ads for a much longer time. Huh, thought that was good advertising if you could get someone to look at your ads. Many times i have been looking for something to see if there was a used one out there, couldn't find one, then went to a sponsors site to see what they had.

To your defense I know you posted that these changes were coming. However, I seriously doubt the classifieds patrons would think to look in this section for upcoming changes. This avenue is probably adequate for most site changes but for a total overhaul of the classifieds? A big sticky thread in the for sale section may have prevented a lot of this fallout. Just a thought.

btw, when ebay changed over they had both formats available i used the old one until they took it away. then my traffic there came here and i now avoid ebay like the plague b/c it is very unsatisfying.

I apologize for being a smartass, I just want to reach an acceptable compromise ASAP so i can start looking at the classifieds again.
Old 01-22-2010 | 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member20 Year Member

But a major point that you are missing it that a lot of people don't 'search' at all.
They simply used to come in every day or more, go thru the listings to see what's new since their last visit, & go from there. I did, it was EASY to use.

In my opinion, I'd guess that there were few people who really used to 'search' the classifieds on a daily basis. Even if they did, the old search worked fine so there really wasn't a need for change. If I wanted to search Ebay for a part, I'd go there. But again, I know why you put that there. Helps feed the pocket. I'd love to feed my pocket too.

That & the fact that you keep mentioning LSx 'vehicles'.
Fact is, 'they' used to be in their own forum listing so it was not a problem finding them! Just go to the right forum.

The 'parts' forum is not detrimental to the sponsors. For years, the members here would use this parts for sale forum as their major source for good used parts.
I'd have to say that isn't happening as much as it used to be.

The parts for sale forum needs a lot of work also.
'Appearance', 'New' or 'Used', ..., I could go on & on, ...
One big peeve, ..., if you spend a half hour typing stuff away, only to accidently miss a dollar amount or something else & you get an error message. So 'back' ya go, ... only to find out EVERYTHING YOU JUST TYPED FOR THE LAST HALF HOUR IS GONE!!!

Damn, that really pissed me off about three times, ...

So, keep workin' on it, maybe we'll get there, ...
Old 01-22-2010 | 08:38 PM
IB

Originally Posted by crazydavez28
I'm curious how you are quantifying "a lot" of feedback? It seems to me if the old classifieds made people spend more time on the site that means they are staring at the google ads and sponsor ads for a much longer time. Huh, thought that was good advertising if you could get someone to look at your ads. Many times i have been looking for something to see if there was a used one out there, couldn't find one, then went to a sponsors site to see what they had.
I know this might come as a surprise, but we did this change to attempt to improve the user experience - not for advertising, or any other reason.
Users had raised concerns that they couldn't find the exact vehicle or part that they were looking for, or find it in the area that they were from, despite it being posted.... this was to help them do that.
To your defense I know you posted that these changes were coming. However, I seriously doubt the classifieds patrons would think to look in this section for upcoming changes. This avenue is probably adequate for most site changes but for a total overhaul of the classifieds? A big sticky thread in the for sale section may have prevented a lot of this fallout. Just a thought.
I actually made an announcement (you know the big annoying link in massive text with an orange back ground) that went in every forum across the site about the change, and feedback seemed positive.

I am not blaming people for not clicking on the link, or not saying they didn't want it before we made the change, but now that we have made the change it is impossible to turn back (all the threads have been moved to a common forum, and the only way to move them back is one by one... when there is about 60,000 threads, that isn't feasible unfortunately )
Old 01-22-2010 | 08:40 PM
IB

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
The parts for sale forum needs a lot of work also.
'Appearance', 'New' or 'Used', ..., I could go on & on, ...
One big peeve, ..., if you spend a half hour typing stuff away, only to accidently miss a dollar amount or something else & you get an error message. So 'back' ya go, ... only to find out EVERYTHING YOU JUST TYPED FOR THE LAST HALF HOUR IS GONE!!!
That is your browser.
If you try firefox (or even a newer version of Internet Explorer) it will save that info.

Quick Reply: Updated Classifieds!