User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Do blatant racist posts warrant a ban?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do blatant racist posts warrant a ban?

In the multimedia section there was a street racing video of individuals of African descent. Members began stereotyping with comments like "them people always act like that, all loud and swearing" and other comments to that nature. I replied that some of the comments being made were not only racist and offensive but against the LS1tech rules. One member replied the following: "stupid N*$%#@'s" and justified his post as freedom of speech.

I reported the thread to the following mods:
Nineball (no response)
StoleIt (no response)
Unit213 responded by deleted the thread altogether.

I thanked Unit for removing the thread but inquired about having disciplinary action(at least a temp ban) . Haven't received a reply but I know members that get permanently banned for trolling or lesser offenses.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
In the multimedia section there was a street racing video of individuals of African descent. Members began stereotyping with comments like "them people always act like that, all loud and swearing" and other comments to that nature. I replied that some of the comments being made were not only racist and offensive but against the LS1tech rules. One member replied the following: "stupid N*$%#@'s" and justified his post as freedom of speech.

I reported the thread to the following mods:
Nineball (no response)
StoleIt (no response)
Unit213 responded by deleted the thread altogether.

I thanked Unit for removing the thread but inquired about having disciplinary action(at least a temp ban) . Haven't received a reply but I know members that get permanently banned for trolling or lesser offenses.

Sorry to say but thats tech for you. I remember getting the boot because a friend of mine was selling bulk lt1 plates and shift *****,just stuff he wanted a quick sale off. Just because i was saved as a friend they assumed he had opened multiple accounts.These mods are sleep at there jobs "WHERE DO I PUT MY APPLICATION FOR A MODS JOB"
Old 04-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Banned

For the people that fill like us please send messages to the mods..It's time they wake up. It's sad when you get more people responded to negativty then helping a fellow member out....SMH..."MODERATORS" are to busy doing this>. And not enuff of this>.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

It is not very consistant. There is a fine line between using freedom of speach and looking like a complete waste of flesh.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

The thread was deleted, what more do you want? The people posting like ******** clearly see the thread is gone so just leave it alone. Im sure they get the picture.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The thread was deleted, what more do you want? The people posting like ******** clearly see the thread is gone so just leave it alone. Im sure they get the picture.
I dont believe it but...I agree! LOL!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not looking at starting a war, but since I joined this forum back in 09' the quality of the things people post and how they are handled has steadily declined. This site used to be a quality place for useful information and just general car knowledge nowdays not so much. I remember the thread that OP is talking about it was really bad and was up for at least 3-4 days. I'm for freedom of speech and all, but racism shouldn't be tolerated.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

i think for general stereotypes i vote no for a ban. it's to hard to decide between if someone is being raciest or making a joke. I'm polish and polock joke can suck to hear but hay it's not ban worthy. slurs being slung, and vivid racist statements i say ban away.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
I'm for freedom of speech and all, but racism shouldn't be tolerated.
It's not, the thread was DELETED. You want LS1Tech to go to each and every one of their houses, force them to apologize, and them make them sit through a "help" class to find where their inner racist feelings are coming from?

People in general are turning into reality TV.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

It's not, the thread was DELETED. You want LS1Tech to go to each and every one of their houses, force them to apologize, and them make them sit through a "help" class to find where their inner racist feelings are coming from?

People in general are turning into reality TV.
I understand that there are a zillion threads that pop up everyday on here and they can't go through and look at every single one of them. That particular thread was pretty popular. I think it could have been dealt with a little sooner. I also see that with your more than 11k posts you are obviously a pretty respected guy around here so I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just saying that before you go making fun of me for voicing my opinion think about what you're saying and look into the situation. The longer those garbage threads float around here the more it makes us look bad. You know what I mean?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, Im not trying to give you ****. But I really wish people would be more realistic about their expectations. This site is huge. A lot of the moderators here are not active very much. There are some sections that are policed well, and some that aren't. Being around here as much as I have I know the difference. This thread just fell through the cracks. It is not an indication of the greater welfare of Tech going down the ******* like some may make it out to be. It is simply one that fell through the crack. No more, no less. No one is perfect and it happens. Thread was deleted. Problem solved. Going through and banning people will just make them start a new account, so it solves nothing.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, Im not trying to give you ****. But I really wish people would be more realistic about their expectations. This site is huge. A lot of the moderators here are not active very much. There are some sections that are policed well, and some that aren't. Being around here as much as I have I know the difference. This thread just fell through the cracks. It is not an indication of the greater welfare of Tech going down the ******* like some may make it out to be. It is simply one that fell through the crack. No more, no less. No one is perfect and it happens. Thread was deleted. Problem solved. Going through and banning people will just make them start a new account, so it solves nothing.
You speak the truth.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

This "just leave it alone" attitde is the problem, its not ok. If someone spat on your face, , would you just leave it alone? No an apology is not necessary but the offenders need to know that what they did was against the site rules and has no place on ls1tech. If they want to post racist remarks they should stay on their KKK websites.

You leave it alone an unaddressed and guess what happens? Another thread just like is pops-up (See "I can't believe some people..." thread)

Below are quotes from the thread...

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
It's you're. And the only reason I understand the bullshit coming out of your educated mouth is because I'm from Philly. It's infested with people like you who like being ignorant because you're a "sell-out" if you're educated and eloquent with your speech.

I'm not racist. I'm intolerant. The video you posted is one step away from being on National Geographic, and the behavior many people in this thread defend is very telling.
or my favorite, after calling him out for using the N word

Originally Posted by mylittlez06
go **** yourself its not cause I thought I was gonna get banned.....ill say whatever the **** I want infront of a crowd of people....and I guarantee your a racist ******* also and you just dont want to admit it cause either you dont want to get banned or have people think less of you on here.....I grew up and live in youngstown, its a shithole fille with ghetto shitty people and bums.....you try living here for a year and you will become the most racist ******* on this thread......go **** yourself
Classy fellows if you ask me
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by be good
i think for general stereotypes i vote no for a ban. it's to hard to decide between if someone is being raciest or making a joke. I'm polish and polock joke can suck to hear but hay it's not ban worthy. slurs being slung, and vivid racist statements i say ban away.
What do you think about the above quotes?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw that thread, I even read some of it. I saw it going downhill. I didn't get offended, or get bent out of shape. I didn't re-visit it either. Honestly i have seen the same thing happen a bunch of times, its almost predictable. I don't need to read what you quoted above to know how the story goes. The problem is you can't "fix" everyone. Expecting people who run Tech to "teach people a lesson" is honestly ridiculous. You want to get the point across, go ahead. I'll look the other way. IMO, a PM from some of the people they offended would do a hell of a lot more then a ban would. You say I'm wanting to "leave it alone", I say if ban or nothing is our only 2 choices then choose nothing bc a ban won't do ****. Im not advocating anyone sending anyone a PM, however, I do think it would make your point clear then a ban would.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw that thread, I even read some of it. I saw it going downhill. I didn't get offended, or get bent out of shape. I didn't re-visit it either. Honestly i have seen the same thing happen a bunch of times, its almost predictable. I don't need to read what you quoted above to know how the story goes. The problem is you can't "fix" everyone. Expecting people who run Tech to "teach people a lesson" is honestly ridiculous. You want to get the point across, go ahead. I'll look the other way. IMO, a PM from some of the people they offended would do a hell of a lot more then a ban would. You say I'm wanting to "leave it alone", I say if ban or nothing is our only 2 choices then choose nothing bc a ban won't do ****. Im not advocating anyone sending anyone a PM, however, I do think it would make your point clear then a ban would.
I'm not expecting for the Mods to fix anyone, but what's the point of having Site Rules if they're not going to be enforced. A ban does more than you think or want to admit, imagine LS1tech's integrity if all the 12 year old trolls and ethugs weren't banned?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah and if you go around and ban everyone then you will develop a bad name for the site. This site is a business, its not here for fun and games. You don't run off your members and/or advertisers when its not absolutely necessary.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,277 Posts

We do our best to read and monitor threads, but we are not paid to be here, and we can't possibily catch every incident. We donate our time because we care about the site and it's purpose, but we are not perfect nor can anyone be here 100% of the time.

An administrator removed the thread in question, and if he felt that any disciplinary action was in order against any members, then he would have done so. We will not hand out bans (temp or otherwise) just because members ask us to, in general we are NOT a ban-happy staff (unlike some sites). There will be times when you may disagree with our actions, but you know what they say about "opinions"

This is a big site with a lot of members, and the average member age continues to drop as the prices of these cars decline. Sometimes you have to keep a thick skin and not get too worked up over things you read on the internet. We do our best to enforce the rules, but again, no system is perfect. I would rather see a few offensive comments or examples of rule breakage slip by than to over-regulate the site to the point of people being afraid to open their mouths.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

I'm curious what them being of African descent has to do with anything?
I assume, based on your post, they were black?
I only ask this because black isn't the only skin color of African descent.

As far as the subject of this thread, ignorance is a difficult thing to keep under control. The anonymity that goes with internet usage has also made it easy for the ignorant to run off at the mouth.

You can take action against one fool, but another will soon follow. With racism on the internet, you really have to learn to learn to let it go, otherwise you will make yourself crazy; it is out there and not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does not make a difference that the people were black. They could have been asain, Middle eastern anything. The point is does Ls1tech support racist behavior or statements? Racism is a problem that will probably never leave, and we all as people understand that. But when it interjects itself into a hobby, a line must be drawn. I once got a partial ban for insulting a mans inability to please his wife after having a verbal dispute over President Obama. I got a ban but im sure he didnt. The fact that I am trying to make is that I got banned for insulting a man. These individuals are not being punished for making racist comments. Anytime the "N" word can be used in a condascending manner and garner no negative response, we are in trouble. But I guess the motto should be to turn the other cheek, right. Well why do we have troops in the middle east now? Our towers were knocked down we should just look the other way right, oh I know thats different. Does one offense outway another? Is their a premium put on certain offenses? and who dictates that? I am a Black man and I dont like the fact that a person could use the "N" word and go unpunished. I would not make a racist jab at anyone for anything they do or believe in. Or are the powers that be racist as well?

Last edited by fatmat80; 04-02-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Do blatant racist posts warrant a ban?