User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

mod marker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mod marker?

whats a "mod marker"?...... might be a stupid question, but the stuff they write in there is hilarious
Old 02-07-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

it just means that a moderator of that section has checked over all posts up to the marker area.

in other words, any post/thread that needs moderating has been taken care of, up until that point.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool, thanx for the answer to the stupid question, i cant imagine how many stupid ones you guys answer each day or lock stupid threads. i think you guys like locking stupid threads...... i would enjoy that if i was a mod
Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Trust me, we do
Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SHINER
Trust me, we do
+1 to that, i hope to be wise enough to join the leage whence i understand the rules of this fine club
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
+1 to that, i hope to be wise enough to join the leage whence i understand the rules of this fine club
im still in the process of learning, many members know more than the staff do, its not really about knowledge(you cant know everything).

Just have to prove yourself as a responsible individual, not power hungry, and helpful.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

im still in the process of learning, many members know more than the staff do, its not really about knowledge(you cant know everything).

Just have to prove yourself as a responsible individual, not power hungry, and helpful.
a'men to that brother. thats something im highly interested in. being in the army and taking on leadership roles is what i've done for a little, even at 21 i've still been given the oppurtunity to lead in the service and i wouldnt mind learning to be a moderator on this site. its my #2 on my favorites list(the FI section).

how often are you supposed to get on the site and do moderator type stuff? if i may ask
Old 02-07-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Being a moderator is fun, but sometimes it is a real pain in the ***. I do it because I've gained a terrific amount of knowledge from this site, and it is nice to give a little effort back.

You are usually assigned areas of responsibility, if you can keep your AO G2G after 5 minutes of work, great! Other days it takes an hour or more. When the APE mess happened I was spending 2-4 hours a day tracking issues and working with members and the Admin to try and get this resolved. Other days I don't log in.........it all works out. Also, you usually have another moderator to help in your section unless it is really slow.

Its all about helping members, sharing knowledge, keeping the board clean and on-topic, and enforcing the few rules we do have(which is oddly enough mroe difficult than you would think!). Its worth it though!!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur
Being a moderator is fun, but sometimes it is a real pain in the ***. I do it because I've gained a terrific amount of knowledge from this site, and it is nice to give a little effort back.

You are usually assigned areas of responsibility, if you can keep your AO G2G after 5 minutes of work, great! Other days it takes an hour or more. When the APE mess happened I was spending 2-4 hours a day tracking issues and working with members and the Admin to try and get this resolved. Other days I don't log in.........it all works out. Also, you usually have another moderator to help in your section unless it is really slow.

Its all about helping members, sharing knowledge, keeping the board clean and on-topic, and enforcing the few rules we do have(which is oddly enough mroe difficult than you would think!). Its worth it though!!
seems to be a cool thing to do(although i've never done it). i've read a lot about the moderators and i've seen what they do. i.e keeping the bad language to a minimum and making sure people do put things in places they're not supposed to(thread in wrong category). and when i see a locked sign on something, i read about the article and find out why it was locked so that way i know not to make that mistake. even though i myself recently posted a wrong thread title in the wrong section that has surprisingly lasted.

i happen to spend about 2 hours on this site a day just trying to learn about my car and other cars and what you can do it to make it

i've always had the understanding when i first started on this site that if i got my post count up that i would eventually get asked to become a moderator...... but i know now from reading that you guys are moderators because you arent 1 sided on issues, you appeal to all. its very interesting to me. and post count has nothing to do with you becoming one, being able to help another member is why you guys are here. thats also kool to me. i try to help on FI with the STS questions if i can
Old 02-07-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

post count is usually directly related to time spent on the site and getting involved with conversations and such.

its REALLY easy to tell which folks know their stuff and who is full of hot air and just post 100x a day.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

no doubt. some people give good info in small doses and other blow bad info in every direction possible
Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh crap..... at least I'm helpful , one out of three ain't bad.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been interested in becoming a moderator if you all are looking for more help.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by 1fastz28nx
I've been interested in becoming a moderator if you all are looking for more help.

Many people (including myself) have expressed interest in moderating, but until this thread almost every time it is asked they say you cannot become a mod by asking them, they have to ask you.

I figured that since I was on here every single day that I could help, but that is not how it works. Good luck with your request.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

As moderators are needed, it is usually discussed by the current staff and/or they are asked by admin if they would be interested.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

ya..i got by with the skin on my teeth..lol
Old 02-09-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i imagine there are some poeple that are interested and think they could help.i would think it to be a job and fun at the same time...... but i've never had to analize what people say on here, i just laugh at the stupidity