User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Google Ads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I STILL DON'T SEE *ANY* SPONSORS, LOOKS LIKE THIS, NO BANNERS, NO SIDE LINKS EXCEPT A GOOGLE AD ABOUT 3 POSTS DOWN

Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by infinitebird
That doesn't make much sense when the sponsors already bring in over 4x that (doing the simple math of sponsorship monthly cost times number of sponsors times 12). If the Google ads replace the sponsors (I can't imagine most of them being too pleased with this arrangement) the site's revenue will go down, not up.
They aren't thinking about that. They see the figures that the Google adds will bring in, and they did not figure in all of the sponsors leaving. They just thought it would be okay to replace the sponsors who have been loyal to the site and helped make this site what is today. It is pitiful to see the site coming to this. Not only will a lot of sponsors be leaving. but a lot of members as well. Sure, you can put an ad block on so you don't see them, but it doesn't catch them all, and it more the principal of ******* over those people who have been here for years or the sponsors who actually pay, and bringing in bullshit like free ringtone ads where there is no actual user interaction and it has nothing to do with the ******* site. Before the site was sold, the co-owners Tony & John were in no means hurting for money and were definitely making a profit off of the site. Sure, there was a problem here and there with the search, but at least 99% of the sponsors and memebers were happy. Now, since March, it has been run by a corporation who doesn't care about the actual users but just the money. Way to go Tony & John, we all are very ******* proud of you.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was a sponsor I would seriously be pissed, maybe even sue for breach of contract. I used to like to see every sponsor listed. What a joke.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
SSU, come over and relax

i can understand why a sponsor would be upset but for the average user such as myself i really dont see anything different
Old 01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

This sucks

Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys... I am certain I can speak for countless Paying Sponsors when I say thank you for you support. I am very pleased to see this discussuin taking place. To say we Sponsors are upset is an understatement. Just like you can imagine, we were not consulted on the new changes. Nor were we made aware of them in a lucid open manner. We were each sent a form letter by the LS1Tech Account Rep for IB.

It did not discuss the significant changes to the status of our advertising banners. It was not open for discussion prior to the changes being made.

As any of you who have been to my shop can attest to we are not a large outfit. There are 3 of us here who bust our asses each and every day to do the best job we can for our customers. We tailored our products and our marketing to the LSx community at large years ago. And I am very pleased with the progress we have made to date with the growth of our company in this environment. However, in light of the new changes, I am very concerned that these new changes will only serve to drive potential customers away from us. From a strictly financial point of view, it will no longer make fiscal sense for us to offer ourselves as a viable Paying Sponsor here at Tech if the members can no longer easily find us because of the changes regarding our exposure here. There are waaaay too many other sites that do not charge as much as this site does for the privildge of Sponsorship.

As many of you have already suspected, we like many Companies are currently reviewing our Marketing Strategies for 2008. I know that several current Paying Sponsors are seriously considering removing their current status as Paying Sponsors.

That will only serve to lessen the experience of you the consumer. Imagine a site that does not have as many active and knolwedgeable Vendors. It is not a pretty picture.

I encourage you guys to stand up and voice your opinion in such a manner that IB will not be able to ignore by continuing to post here in this thread and any other your run across. Do not be rude, do not be immature. But be sure to get your point across.

Thanks again for your support guys... it means alot to us!

g
Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Guys... I am certain I can speak for countless Paying Sponsors when I say thank you for you support. I am very pleased to see this discussuin taking place. To say we Sponsors are upset is an understatement. Just like you can imagine, we were not consulted on the new changes. Nor were we made aware of them in a lucid open manner. We were each sent a form letter by the LS1Tech Account Rep for IB.

It did not discuss the significant changes to the status of our advertising banners. It was not open for discussion prior to the changes being made.

As any of you who have been to my shop can attest to we are not a large outfit. There are 3 of us here who bust our asses each and every day to do the best job we can for our customers. We tailored our products and our marketing to the LSx community at large years ago. And I am very pleased with the progress we have made to date with the growth of our company in this environment. However, in light of the new changes, I am very concerned that these new changes will only serve to drive potential customers away from us. From a strictly financial point of view, it will no longer make fiscal sense for us to offer ourselves as a viable Paying Sponsor here at Tech if the members can no longer easily find us because of the changes regarding our exposure here. There are waaaay too many other sites that do not charge as much as this site does for the privildge of Sponsorship.

As many of you have already suspected, we like many Companies are currently reviewing our Marketing Strategies for 2008. I know that several current Paying Sponsors are seriously considering removing their current status as Paying Sponsors.

That will only serve to lessen the experience of you the consumer. Imagine a site that does not have as many active and knolwedgeable Vendors. It is not a pretty picture.

I encourage you guys to stand up and voice your opinion in such a manner that IB will not be able to ignore by continuing to post here in this thread and any other your run across. Do not be rude, do not be immature. But be sure to get your point across.

Thanks again for your support guys... it means alot to us!

g
as long as this thread does not get deleted or locked it will be fine, but we will see
Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

New sig, heh. I am going to check out myls1.com though looks nice.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes unhappy is and understatement. This is wrong. I think all sponsors here will agree we thought we were paying for the privilege of a type of exclusive advertisement here so we didnt have to compete with every tom dick and harry out there. And the fact is the fees themselves weed out most of the would be scammers and fly by night outfits. Does anyone know how easy it is to set up google ads? You dont have to know , prove or have anything other than a credit card or some sort and its very cheap. Again this is bad news for both us the sponsors and you the users of tech.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys seen the Corveteforum lately? They completely azz raped the site. Looks and works like ****. I am not a fan of this crap at all.

Keith
Old 01-10-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

so far, ive been able to block most of the google ad...but I cant get the rest of it to go away..

this is what im stuck with
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I'm not a fan of those Google ads either, but the reality is that they can potentially generate over $100,000/year in advertising revenue on a site this active.

When we found out that stagging figure, we really couldn't argue over cosmetics. Since we no longer own the site, it wasn't our decision if they stay or go.

The normal sponsor buttons will actually be easier to navigate now, since they do not go way past the bottom of the page, and each of them still randomly shows up with each mouse click. We found that only first few actually caught anyone's attention anyways, since that column was so long.

This is seriously how your going to handle this situation. Just about every member and many sponsers are pissed about this change and you make a post to justify what is happening.

YOU ARE A SELLOUT
Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

When IB bought the site, the first thing I did was to look up the CEO and COO of the corporation. It didn't bode well with me at the time considering the other sites they own and how they were designed, couldn't imagine it not happening here as well.

That being said, this site was created for the love of cars. It doesn't matter that it is a specific group that branched out to others - what did matter is seeing a resurgence of DYI and street racing for the first time in almost 30 years to the average person with a fairly inexpensive car.

My guess is GM never saw this coming nor Ford or any other domestic company. They did a long time ago and tried to revive that market, it made a slow but strong come back.

Now my concern is the same as it was a long time ago: finding parts and shops to get the muscle back out on the road. Everything became so limited and narrow that most of us threw in the towel or hung onto one 1st gen car "just in case". If the climate changes to the point where buying out of the box showroom floor with no aftermarkets then its time to put the covers back on the cars and call it good. There won't be much point of modding really, there won't be but a few who will roll up next to you at a light or anywhere on any freeway that will want to see what ya got under that thar hood.
It saddens me deeply to know that could happen.

As far as sponsors go - this truly is the only site that has as many paying sponsors out there that I've come across. We can discuss who did good work and who didn't. We can find someone close to us or decide to haul it somewhere else. We had a good choice and I feel that choice has been taken away with generic or unknown ads that take the space once held by paying sponsors specific to this site.

I'm not sure I want to see what happens when someone checks a google link, get screwed royal but has no place to say so. My guess is that will be the end of their passion for horsepower and with it, good and decent shops who used to sell parts and engines will no longer exist. Its sad to think this may come to pass - again - in my lifetime.

Depending on how short the sponsor list eventually gets is how long I'll stick around as a moderator for the sponsors and for members as well. Some of you have thought I was biased but now maybe you can see I wasn't, there was a reason to give a particular sponsor a second shot and keep on your build. For the flat out rip offs I screamed blood murder to get them off the site, Nine Ball and Pro Stock John would get frustrated with me often but I didn't want to see members getting ripped off. No one did. I just happen to notice a bad pattern before they did in some cases. This also can no longer be the case with non-paying sponsor ads that are now highly visible.

For all paying sponsors and those that registered as members - keep wrenching and racing. Eventually I hope we can land on another place in cyber space to keep visible both on and off the road.

GEARHED
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

when i came here needing something, i didn't look at the first few sponsors then say, "oh **** it, i'm not wasting my afternoon scrolling down through all these little pictures...." I GO THROUGH ALL OF THEM until i find what i'm after, just like everyone else. Google = BAD

everytime i go to a site that is inundated with google ads, pop-ups, and those ******* SEARCH BARS I CAN'T GET RID OF, i leave. i don't want anything to do with those stupid ads. i consider them spam, and a nuissance (sp?).
Old 01-10-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

.....as an afterthought, i'm sure a LOT of members here would also pay a SMALL fee to lose the google bullshit. i know i would, to keep this site "pure" and in its original state.

it's pretty damn retarded that i can't click "back" and my browser goes back a page....NO...i have to go through google ad after google ad to go back one actual page.....
Old 01-10-2008, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for your interesting perspective Amy.

Give me a shout sometime!

g
Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it a little funny the last button/link of the sponsors list says 'Advertise on LS1Tech!' With the number of sponcers they are pissing off, there will most liely be room

Keith
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Retired Street Racer

Every sponsor should not renew their fees and leave promptly. That will show them that you are not ******* around, I assure you.

There is a new site up and running that I forsee growing very largely in the future. Come check it out.

http://www.lsxhp.com
Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Here is a link to a complete list of sponsors.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback/834950-active-sponsor-list.html
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

That's potentially 154 relationships that have been compromised.

g

Quick Reply: Google Ads?