User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Google Ads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vendetta--

And is SeatStaysUp a sponser? Just curious because it is in your signature and it looks like a totally seperate site. That is the reason I thought it was ok to mention another site here. I mean it is not like the sponsers here are losing money from mentioning another forum here. Seems more like it is someone trying to stop a mass exodus to that other site.

Not trying to start ****, just would like some clarification on the SPAM issue. I for one am glad someone pointed it out. Now I have another site to visit, and if they dont **** this one up anymore I will be sticking around here anyway, so no harm done.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks Brains. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Brian and the others at IB worked all night to get this stuff back to where it needs to be. It is all getting straightened out. Tech will be back exactly how it was very soon. No need to just jump the ship yet.

Gray
Old 01-11-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

seat stays up was started by ls1tech, wasnt it...?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
seat stays up was started by ls1tech, wasnt it...?
Thats what I am asking. I dont know. That is why I thought mentioning another website was ok.

Incidently Apparently I am a member there and my inbox is full, but I have never posted. Strange.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
If you are serious then your a dumbass. It's just a website but reguardless obviously they are listening and working on a compromise
Well, i've been know to be a dumbass in the past. This place is like a second home to a lot of us. None of us want to see this place take a turn for the worse. No offence taken...
Originally Posted by mnypitZ
NOW THAT IS JUST CRAZY TALK. Instead we should burn down the headquarters. No sense talking crazy here. No need to sell your car!
I'm doing better today. I've been on the fence about selling my car because I want to buy a house soon. I guess yesterday the mess here put me over the top and set me off. It happens, i'm thinking straight again now!

There may have been a little sarcasm is my original post too, sorry if any of you took it the wrong way. I know, it only made me look like a moron

Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Thats what I am asking. I dont know. That is why I thought mentioning another website was ok.

Incidently Apparently I am a member there and my inbox is full, but I have never posted. Strange.
Seatstaysup was started by the former owners of this site before it was sold. They retained ownership of that site when this one was sold.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Seatstaysup was started by the former owners of this site before it was sold. They retained ownership of that site when this one was sold.
OK so my question is, why is it ok to promote that non IB owned site, but not another non IB owned site?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Incidently it is a cool site, and apparently I am a member and my PM box is full.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Vendetta--

And is SeatStaysUp a sponser? Just curious because it is in your signature and it looks like a totally seperate site. That is the reason I thought it was ok to mention another site here. I mean it is not like the sponsers here are losing money from mentioning another forum here. Seems more like it is someone trying to stop a mass exodus to that other site.

Not trying to start ****, just would like some clarification on the SPAM issue. I for one am glad someone pointed it out. Now I have another site to visit, and if they dont **** this one up anymore I will be sticking around here anyway, so no harm done.
You are trying to start ****...

To clarify, sites or shops mentioned or links posted that COMPETE in any way with LS1Tech or its paying sponsors is SPAM. This is a business plain and simple, and directing traffic away from here not only affects our sponsors but also the longevity of this site itself. You can bet your *** that spam will be deleted at the discretion of the staff as soon as it is identified.

For example, you cannot walk into Nike headquarters and start hanging Reebok ads, yet you feel that you can walk "into" this business and start posting ads for competitive sites or businesses? It just does not work that way.

Also for the record, SeatStaysUP is an non automotive site, without competing sponsors, and has absolutely nothing to do with the LSX world other than being started by the original owners of this site. Exactly how is that a problem here?

Last edited by XtinctZ28; 01-11-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Old 01-11-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, I didnt know we were in a competition with other LS1 sites. I guess thats why this site looked so good to Google in the first place.

OK I wont mention it again.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28

To clarify, sites or shops mentioned or links posted that COMPETE in any way with LS1Tech or its paying sponsors is SPAM. This is a business plain and simple, and directing traffic away from here not only affects our sponsors but also the longevity of this site itself. You can bet your *** that spam will be deleted at the discretion of the staff as soon as it is identified.

For example, you cannot walk into Nike headquarters and start hanging Reebok ads, yet you feel that you can walk "into" this business and start posting ads for competitive sites or businesses? It just does not work that way.

Also for the record, SeatStaysUP is an non automotive site, without competing sponsors, and has absolutely nothing to do with the LSX world other than being started by the original owners of this site. Exactly how is that a problem here?
Thank you sir.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28

lol
wow........so its ok to promote non auto motive sites? I can go in so many directions with this one but ill let it slide
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Much appreciated brains. Thanks goes out to the IB people who helped set it right too
You're welcome.

The key issue i believe is that many of us thought that it might've been okay to give the sponsors some sort of "an equal shot" at having one of the top-12 spots while getting a better handle on the height of the right column. 154 boxes stacked atop one-another looks ... *bad*, and makes every page clunky to load.

But our approach clearly didn't work out well for the Sponsors. A few even reported traffic to their site drastically dwindling.

Sponsors want to have their identity on every single page, users want to be able to see them all right there, and going from 154 to 12 was too drastic. So we'll spend more time engaging them on this. The other key issue we'll want to keep in mind is that Sponsors need to have their logos clearly officially blessed by the site and identified as "the guys who make this site possible", that "these guys can be trusted because we know who they are, we know where they live and they won't screw you over". The American flag icon Brains had put on top of their tower yesterday was a pretty interesting concept in that direction, but i'm sure we can do better.

Whatever we come-up with should help make it clear in users' mind that:

1) Sponsors can be trusted
2) Other ads that go on the page, Google Ads, Banners, Towers, "are *just* ads", not to be confused with actual sponsors.

Am I off-base? Let me know, and I'll relay the info.

The other thing that fueled the fire is the fact that we've had some really really frickin' weird issue with our doubleclick ads, causing that back button/history bug. First time we see this. We're still looking into that one.

Doubleclick is helpful because it puts the tedium of ad maintenance and rotation out of the hands of Engineering. That makes Brains and I happy.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Im glad to see everything back to normal.
Thanks to all involved
Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisholland
You're welcome.

The key issue i believe is that many of us thought that it might've been okay to give the sponsors some sort of "an equal shot" at having one of the top-12 spots while getting a better handle on the height of the right column. 154 boxes stacked atop one-another looks ... *bad*, and makes every page clunky to load.

But our approach clearly didn't work out well for the Sponsors. A few even reported traffic to their site drastically dwindling.

Sponsors want to have their identity on every single page, users want to be able to see them all right there, and going from 154 to 12 was too drastic. So we'll spend more time engaging them on this. The other key issue we'll want to keep in mind is that Sponsors need to have their logos clearly officially blessed by the site and identified as "the guys who make this site possible", that "these guys can be trusted because we know who they are, we know where they live and they won't screw you over". The American flag icon Brains had put on top of their tower yesterday was a pretty interesting concept in that direction, but i'm sure we can do better.

Whatever we come-up with should help make it clear in users' mind that:

1) Sponsors can be trusted
2) Other ads that go on the page, Google Ads, Banners, Towers, "are *just* ads", not to be confused with actual sponsors.

Am I off-base? Let me know, and I'll relay the info.

The other thing that fueled the fire is the fact that we've had some really really frickin' weird issue with our doubleclick ads, causing that back button/history bug. First time we see this. We're still looking into that one.

Doubleclick is helpful because it puts the tedium of ad maintenance and rotation out of the hands of Engineering. That makes Brains and I happy.
That's a pretty basic. How could you overlook something so simple? Especially when they pay?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Just to let you guys know, I still have a couple problems on my end..The first one is that on every page I get a real quick flash of text that scrolls down the column where the sponsors should be that then just disappears. I finally caught it with a screen capture and heres what it looks like:

Secondly, after that text is gone, all I have even on the main page is just a blank white column. No sponsor links or anything related to them. That goes for anywhere on the main page as well. There are NO sponsor links anywhere on the site for me at all. Heres what it looks like from the main page..

The only sponsor info that I have is from that scrolling text in the first picture which then vanishes after about 2 seconds. I also noticed that the text that scrolls down like that is always changing. It appears to have different sponsor links in it every time. It also does that on any page I go to on the site.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

Thanks for caring so much about the site guys, hopefully it will all work long term to everyone's liking.

Your friendly neighborhood co-founder,

John Ryan
Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

wow, that's weird... Try Ctrl-F5 to force a full refresh, and see if that helps. They're just static images now, exactly like they used to be pretty much, but the top and bottom ads are still using doubleclick.

Quick Reply: Google Ads?