Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

I Think I Got a Good Deal - MacBook Pro

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Think I Got a Good Deal - MacBook Pro

So someone I knew was trying to sell his lap top cause his parents just bought him a new one - must be nice. Well anyway he originally wanted $500 but I was able to get him down to $250. I've seen similar ones go for $1,000+ on EBay. Only downside is I can't change some of the admin stuff because I don't have the password and he said he never needed it so he never asked the guy he bought it from. Could be stolen, but I really doubt it. He had alot of stuff for it.

It is supposed to be a 120gig hard drive (I'm new to Mac's so I don't know how to be sure, if anyone can help let me know) MacBook Pro with built-in webcam. So far I really like it. Here's some pictures:

Last edited by Counted Out; 11-06-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

wanna sell and make some profit out of it???
Old 11-06-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
wanna sell and make some profit out of it???
I mite be willing. But just because I got it from an idiot, doesn't mean I'm going to sell it like one. I know what it's worth. But the right price could get it sold.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Launching!

That's a hell of a good deal. I could sell my PowerBook G4 for more than that. If you wanna check on the HD space, go to the apple in the top left, click on About This Mac, then click More Info

The System Profiler will open, your hard drive should be under the ATA section in Hardware.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
That's a hell of a good deal. I could sell my PowerBook G4 for more than that. If you wanna check on the HD space, go to the apple in the top left, click on About This Mac, then click More Info

The System Profiler will open, your hard drive should be under the ATA section in Hardware.
Thank you.

This is my first Mac and I ******* love it. Just gotta get Photoshop onto it now.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Thank you.

This is my first Mac and I ******* love it. Just gotta get Photoshop onto it now.
Np. If you're a college student, there are websites that have student software discounts. You get a student version but it's identical to retail, just way cheaper. I think they're up to CS4 now... heh... should be badass.

Oh, and if you're a programmer like me, you'll LOVE the compiler these things run - X-code is awesome.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the Photoshop the same for the PC and the Mac? I have a PS file zipped that I know works for a PC, will it work on the Mac?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Is the Photoshop the same for the PC and the Mac? I have a PS file zipped that I know works for a PC, will it work on the Mac?
No I don't believe so but what you can do is download BootCamp for free from Apple's website and install a copy of Windows XP on there (you'll be able to choose between booting in XP or OSX when you start up) if you have one and just install it on the Windows partition.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again.

Anything else I should know about this thing?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Launching!

No problem. If it's legit, it'll treat you very well. Only thing you have to worry about with an Apple laptop is that the displays like to go out after about 4 years. All of mine have (but I tend to leave my computers on for 5 or so days at a time, giving them little rest) but many of my friends still have old iBooks that never had a hiccup (not that mine has, just the screen issue once). Other than the BootCamp thing, no. Just explore it, learn about all the cool Widgets out there. If you wanna get adventurous or have dealt with Linux/Unix, start messing with the Console, it's Unix , what OSX is based off of, and why it's so dam stable.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've noticed my screen likes to dim alot, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of battery save feature. I've still yet to find out exactly when it dims because it seems to be pretty random. Sometimes it will start to dim between types of the keys, other times it will stay bright for awhile.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Launching!

It does it for two reasons:
1) to save power after you haven't typed or moved the mouse for a while
2) it senses light intensity changes and adjusts brightness accordingly. check it out, go in a bright room and put your hands over the speakers (cover them completely) and watch the screen dim

I wouldn't worry about the screen just yet - they don't go bad for a LONG time.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

It does it for two reasons:
1) to save power after you haven't typed or moved the mouse for a while
2) it senses light intensity changes and adjusts brightness accordingly. check it out, go in a bright room and put your hands over the speakers (cover them completely) and watch the screen dim

I wouldn't worry about the screen just yet - they don't go bad for a LONG time.
That was it. I type really weird and kind of rest my hands where the speakers are.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Hey that looks like my Macbook that got stolen last month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol....jk... good deal man
Old 11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I don't believe so but what you can do is download BootCamp for free from Apple's website and install a copy of Windows XP on there (you'll be able to choose between booting in XP or OSX when you start up) if you have one and just install it on the Windows partition.
the files should open just fine in either the Mac or windows...its a zip PS file, it'll work...i do it all the time. Lustrous is right about bootcamp but not about the files lol
Old 11-06-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
the files should open just fine in either the Mac or windows...its a zip PS file, it'll work...i do it all the time. Lustrous is right about bootcamp but not about the files lol
That's nice to know. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's nice to know. Thank you.
no prob...i have the 17in macbook pro running on 2GB of ram (maxed out)...your gonna love this thing! had it for a little over 2 years and its still running like it just came out of the box
Old 11-06-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
no prob...i have the 17in macbook pro running on 2GB of ram (maxed out)...your gonna love this thing! had it for a little over 2 years and its still running like it just came out of the box
I'm sending you a PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Isnt a mac's Admin password "apple" by default? I think its something like that.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Isnt a mac's Admin password "apple" by default? I think its something like that.
Someone has set the password, but it's been sold twice so it's hard to track down. I just need to borrow the Mac OS X discs. Anyone have them?

Quick Reply: I Think I Got a Good Deal - MacBook Pro