Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Help My Lt1 Overheats..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help My Lt1 Overheats..

i tried searching but this might be easier i have a 93 z28 if i drive it for more than 10 minutes it reatches the line right below red i have a brand new stat new coolant temp sensor new coolant new radiator new cap.. im getting sick of this $#!T anone know what i can do? the stat they sold me at kragen was a 192* what i do notice is that the fans arent comming on until the car gets almost to red...... they do come on however these cars dont have cooling fan switches im lost someone help... please and thank you

car is stock as of right now just to give ou guys an idea of what i am working with..... thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

With stock settings the fans come on at 226*F (low speed) and 235*F (high speed). The stock Tstat is supposed to be 180*, some idiot sold you the wrong one. But that still shouldn't allow you to over heat. Just know that it is normal for LT1's to sit at around 210-230* at operating temperature.
You likely have air in the system. If you want, PM me and you can come to Fullerton and I'll check out your car.

This might help you some:
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have bled the air from the system right? My LT1 would never bleed very well from the bleeder screws so I would put a funnel in the radiator inlet that would seal, the put some coolant in the funnel which would raise the water level and bleed all of the air out.

Have you checked your water pump? They are a pain in the ***, they dont always leak from the hole in the back, try taking your radiator cap off and start the car, see if you can see the coolant moving at all. 2 weeks after buying my LT1 I had to replace the water pump and radiator.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lt's do run warm, I had the same problems w/ my 93Z. if your going to replace the tstat (192 is too high) you should do a 160. I would also look into getting the fans to come on earlier. And check your mixture of coolant... You'll want to be 70% water 30% coolant. Last but not least, make sure you didnt pick up a bag or news paper on the front of the radiator and that your air dam is not busted or bent.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem with my LT1 and it was actually the Temp. sensor. I bought the first one at AutoZone to only later by a factory/dealer one and the problem went away. The Temp. sensors from auto parts stores aren't really good I been told. This one time it seemed to be true.

Also, as everyone has stated already, make sure you bled the system correctly, and check the water pump as well.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

X2 on the temp sensor, don't get it from vatozone. Also check your fan relays, our fans have two speeds you may only have one of them working. Lastly, check/clean the ground wire on the frame below the ABS.

hope that helps.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine is like that, a lot slower to get over to the red line. my fan switch takes care of it though. i leave it on while i drive and i never go above 210
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

lots of great advice. i think some fancy wiring and a couple big electric fans most of your overheating issues may subside. that is if all your other issues are handled, proper coolant/water mixture, honestly coolant in so cal is a waste, i simply use distilled water a bottle of water wetter and a bottle of a good coolant system additive. and like mentioned before the air damn plays in important role.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

my gf drives my camaro 90% of the time... so a fan switch is out the picture.. girls are dumb.... lol

Quick Reply: Help My Lt1 Overheats..