Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Exhaust shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
what is so damn difficult about welding tips on?? Please supply pics
That's what one of the installers thought, while the other installer realized that it WAS going to be difficult due to the pipe angles involved. Hence the argument. One installer saw that one tip was angled outward, and that the other tip was angled inward. Also, the tip that was angled slightly outward (or straight?) is slightly crooked horizontally (needs to be rotated a hair counter-clockwise). You notice these things since the tips are large and flat.

The tips have a very short-depth sidewalls and have flat sides so you notice angles a lot more than if it was say a Magnaflow bullet tip or Corsas.

Later last night I bent the left tip a little bit outward by hand and the last time I checked it looked way more even (almost perfect), but here's a pic to give you an idea of how bad it was when it left the shop:

Notice that the tip on the left looks like it is angled inward, and that the other tip looks straight. On round tips you don't notice these things as much because they are round and your eyes have a more difficult time following the lines. That could be one reason why there are not many squareish aftermarket tips especially for F-bodies. To add to that the stock hangers allow room for the exhaust system to move around...

Anyways, here's the latest pics:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...dirty-car.html
Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Cut it out and replace with straight pipe, issue solved.
Needs to be WELDED into place....

And yes, to those who have never had oval/square tips installed in front of them, it IS hard to line them up correctly and have them spaced out evenly. It's actually very difficult to get right if you're just trying to eyeball it.

Zex, those tips look HEUGE on ur car lol. I see a T/A bumper in ur future They still look good though! Better than those tiny ones you switched out.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
Zex, those tips look HEUGE on ur car lol. I see a T/A bumper in ur future They still look good though! Better than those tiny ones you switched out.
They're so big that they don't even fit in a TA bumper, but they fit in a Formula bumper!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only took a quick glance at your car today, but I did not see any issues.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I only took a quick glance at your car today, but I did not see any issues.
Yeah, unless you look directly at the tips and stare at them for a while you won't really notice anything weird.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

i used ralph's on my Spintech install they asked me how i wanted the tips and even showed me before welding them in plus their prices are really reasonable
Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000ESES
i used ralph's on my Spintech install they asked me how i wanted the tips and even showed me before welding them in plus their prices are really reasonable
Yeah I've used them for welding tips to on my first imp and on my g6,but was woundering if any one has used them on a cat back system...ralph the owner himself quoted me $330 for 2.5 no res and magnaflow(not polished)w/tips...other places are askin 450 or more,I know its a good price,but I don't want 2 have leaks or rattles...I've used speedway in rancho about 5yrs ago on my 90 rs camaro(5.0 T.P.I not T.B.I ) and the only prob I had was where the heat shield was on the cat would always rattle and annoyed the sh*t out me...
Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Ralph's has done a full system on my old truck it sounded mean *** hell and he did the spintech on my SS and he quoted me 35 to fix the flat y pipe issue
Old 05-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I got the tips welded on at Charlie's today. I know they're good guys, but the two guys working on it couldn't agree on the proper angles or issues (they got into a huge argument) with how it looks so I just had them weld it on as-is and they didn't want to charge me. I gave 'em $20 anyways since the tips are now on the vehicle. So I'll have to take it to a place that will think a little harder about how to line them up properly and make them look good. It definitely needs work, but it is good for now. I also had my last cat installed by Charlies, and that caused an exhaust knock that I had to have a shop in Santa Ana fix. Also wanted to charge me $50 to weld in a new pipe from the cat to the muffler (over the axle) that I supplied. Sure it's not bad, but I'm at the point where I'd rather get it done by another place.

I got that feeling about AAA Muffler when I watched them working on various cars while waiting for a friend.
well sorry you had the bad experience with them. i've always had charley work on mine. AAA is just a bunch of retards.

Quick Reply: Exhaust shop