Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

ABS INOP, ASR OFF, and BRAKE lights all on

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problems and have read about people pulling fuses, replacing gauge clusters, replacing wheel speed sensors, cleaning wheel speed sensors and have not had any success.

I believe it has something to do with the EBCM on the abs block. GM charges close to $1,200 to replace the module/pump motor/unit. However I have found a place that rebuilds just the EBCM that I am going to try out this fall for around $160.

This problem annoys the hell out of me! It almost seems temperature related too...on a 95 degree or hotter day it comes on more often. In cool fall/winter months I almost never see it.

PM me for the info of the place if your interested as I do not believe they are a sponsor here.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i popped off the tires, only thing i found odd was the passenger rear sensor was a little dirty/greasy.

what else should i check?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pir7tr
I have the same problems and have read about people pulling fuses, replacing gauge clusters, replacing wheel speed sensors, cleaning wheel speed sensors and have not had any success.

I believe it has something to do with the EBCM on the abs block. GM charges close to $1,200 to replace the module/pump motor/unit. However I have found a place that rebuilds just the EBCM that I am going to try out this fall for around $160.

This problem annoys the hell out of me! It almost seems temperature related too...on a 95 degree or hotter day it comes on more often. In cool fall/winter months I almost never see it.

PM me for the info of the place if your interested as I do not believe they are a sponsor here.
Well Let me know man. Mine has the same heat effect. Also I have heard about getting the ebcm reset. You might also want to try that.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a wire from the sensor is cut... mine did that and i solder it back together ... bingo worked perfect after that.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need a ABS block, I have one that you could get at a discount.

Originally Posted by lilpb1
Maybe a wire from the sensor is cut... mine did that and i solder it back together ... bingo worked perfect after that.
I've had to do that before too. It's simple though to fix.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

just checked all the fuses abs and brake related, they all seem fine. hmmm
Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

ok my codes are c0550 and c0896. there is a good pdf on the ecu here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-problems.html

looks like i have some connections to check. i really hate spending money on crap like this when i could be buying performance parts
Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by masterz28
My friends car did this, trying to figure it out now, the only thing is that his car is loosing voltage, man freaking electrical problems are a pain.
Same thing is happening to me. Only I lose volatage when the ac is on.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

well my guess is that i have some corrosion somewhere, probably from cleaning my engine bay. i'm going to take apart whatever i can and clean, and see if that does anything
Old 09-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pir7tr

When my car was in at the dealer they said it was the EBCM and it would cost around $1200 if I wanted to replace it. They reset the EBCM while it was in the shop, but the light eventually started coming on again.

Perhaps something is overheating and failing on the EBCM. That would kind of make sense as most of the time all 3 lights (ABS, TRAC, BRAKE) don't come on until the car has been running for 10-15 minutes. It will be interesting to see if it happens less in the fall with the cooler weather.

Let us know how you make out with the EBCM repair, it sounds like a really good idea and apparently you can still drive your car while the EBCM is out being repaired.

Last edited by kevinkr; 09-24-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Teching In

I sent the EBCM out of my 2002 Camaro to be rebuilt by a company out in Idaho for $160. I reinstalled it in my car over a week ago and it has resolved the problem, no more intermittent ABS/TRAC/BRAKE lights coming on the dash.

It's fairly easy to remove the EBCM ABS module and you can drive your car with it removed, you simply won't have ABS or Traction control while it's removed.

The Camaro uses a 5.3 Bosch EBCM module. Just to give you an idea of how often these modules fail, the company that I sent it to repairs over 40 ABS modules every single day.

Originally Posted by kevinkr
When my car was in at the dealer they said it was the EBCM and it would cost around $1200 if I wanted to replace it. They reset the EBCM while it was in the shop, but the light eventually started coming on again.

Perhaps something is overheating and failing on the EBCM. That would kind of make sense as most of the time all 3 lights (ABS, TRAC, BRAKE) don't come on until the car has been running for 10-15 minutes. It will be interesting to see if it happens less in the fall with the cooler weather.

Let us know how you make out with the EBCM repair, it sounds like a really good idea and apparently you can still drive your car while the EBCM is out being repaired.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I fixed my problem a few days ago Tom.

Mine was only the ABS light, but same issue as yours.

Ended up being the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. That's right we have 3!!

I could swear that it was your same code C0550 it was throwing.

There is a really good guy at 5 Star Auto that can tell you EXACTLY what it is. He's on the corner of Charleston and Torrey Pines.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

I just a new ebcm that i'm going to put in today and if that doesn't work it probably is my sensor too.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

had same issue.. turned out a little 10 amp fuse under the hood was blown.. you said all fuses are good.. id double check that.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

just wanted to update for anyone who had this problem, i just swapped out the ebcm and no more lights! everything works great
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much did the whole job cost?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

$40 bucks for a new ebcm from ebay, and seriously about 5 minutes swapping it in.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

hlaalu I have the same problem. Can you send me the ebay seller info? Thanx
Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by armkneez8
hlaalu I have the same problem. Can you send me the ebay seller info? Thanx
sent ya a pm
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx, was the ebcm you bought actually the same year of your car? does it matter?

Quick Reply: ABS INOP, ASR OFF, and BRAKE lights all on