Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

How many of you guys are General Contractors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you guys are General Contractors?

I'm a designer, and I was curious how many of you guys are general contractors. And if you are one, how is work for you? I've been sending out my info to contractors, and everyone seems pretty slow.

As a contractor, are you able to buy most of the toys that you want? I am trying to figure out whats the best mode of attack to get my business off the ground, but I want to eventually be able to make enough for a comfortable living. So im weighing out the options of working for an architect company, or possibly starting my own. So if you got some experience in the construction world, post up how its been treating you. The reason I'm asking you guys instead of architects, is cause you would be my basic clientel (sp).
Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

my parents are currently building a new house, and my mom is designing most of it. from what i understand things are slow, but materials and labor are very cheap right now. prices for everything are very, very competitive.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Well if your mom is designing things, then that will def. help save costs. The material and labor are extremly cheap right now which is why I wish things would pick up so that I could get more business. Its just hard out there period. But i know some contractors are still busy, I guess that depends on their location. Where are your parents building a house?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

it's over in a place called lake las vegas.

where are you starting up your business?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Im starting it in Riverside. But im trying to get my name out to any contractors in Cali. I just want to have a nice firm one day so I can have some nice things, and take care of my family. Im kinda wondering if working full-time, and doing this one the side is better then going mainstream in the design world.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

things are extremely slow right now. As in I am in a public works class right now that has 80% of the students being ex/layed off architects/contractors/engineers. From things that I have heard most recently there are still small projects here and there, but the big stuff probably wont be back in full swing until a year from now if not longer.

One of my gf's has put in over 85 apps and only 2 interviews still no job, no thats rough, she works at jcpenny now.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

I think your best bet would be as your last post, find a job at a firm so as to build experience and contacts then try to build your own business on the side.

Will be exactly what I will be doing but with engineering.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

We own an electric company in Albuquerque, NM.

May, June, and July were the lowest revenue months that we have recorded in the last 5 years. This was due to an insurance company that we had been doing work for the last 8 years going out of business.

August picked up significantly. It is almost back up to where we left off in terms of Net Income, but total revenue is still down.

We had a crew of 4, which is now a crew of 2 and an occasional helper.

Business is up and down but we recently scored a contract with a company.

Construction is not the field i would be getting into at this point in the economy. Good luck
Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
We own an electric company in Albuquerque, NM.

May, June, and July were the lowest revenue months that we have recorded in the last 5 years. This was due to an insurance company that we had been doing work for the last 8 years going out of business.

August picked up significantly. It is almost back up to where we left off in terms of Net Income, but total revenue is still down.

We had a crew of 4, which is now a crew of 2 and an occasional helper.

Business is up and down but we recently scored a contract with a company.

Construction is not the field i would be getting into at this point in the economy. Good luck
Thanks for the response. I hope that the construction field will start to come back to life. Its kind of hard to get work when your industry is in the slumps.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

WWW.EDS-DESIGNS.COM

Here is my new website that I just got up. I still have some major editiing, but it gets the point across. I took it from a template and put my own spin on it. Hopefully I can get it out there more so people will ask for work. If you guys know of anyone who needs plans, or know of any general contractors please pass this on to them. Also let me know what you think about my website. Its pretty archaic compared to other peoples, but i think it is simple enough to grab your attention. I will adding all of the main info when I have time.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the restaurant feild is pretty slow as well, we still have people opening up new restaurants still but not as much... do you do plans for restaurants as well?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
the restaurant feild is pretty slow as well, we still have people opening up new restaurants still but not as much... do you do plans for restaurants as well?
What do you do in the restaurant field? I do full plans for restaurants, including plumbing, electrical, and mechanical. I can do other commerical areas also. Hopefully coming up I'm spose to be working on this sushi bar, and a full rest. design down off pacific coast highway
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned Village Idiot

i sell all the equipment when a restaurant is opening up, im the sales man... sometimes we get lucky and get the whole job meaning design, all Construction, equipment and supplies, i still work at a company but i will be opening up a store like this pretty soon
Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
i sell all the equipment when a restaurant is opening up, im the sales man... sometimes we get lucky and get the whole job meaning design, all Construction, equipment and supplies, i still work at a company but i will be opening up a store like this pretty soon
Well that coo, ya if you ever need any plans, or a good GC let mw know.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Originally Posted by EVERETTDREW
Well that coo, ya if you ever need any plans, or a good GC let mw know.
sounds good, do you have a business card you can fax me over? i'll do the same you might have someone that needs equipment and supplies!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The LS1 is more than a motor, it makes friends
Old 09-18-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
The LS1 is more than a motor, it makes friends
and Opportunities.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

My dad and I own and run our water truck company in heavy grading construction. Before this past month. I didn't work since the 1st wek of november. But the good thing is the money is good 55 dollars and hour per truck we are getting paid. for and 40-50 hours per week per truck. The rate used to be quite a bit higher but that's good enough for now. And the part that sucks is that the job in at now its gonna end in about 2 or 3 months and who knows untill they find a new job.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EVERETTDREW
Well if your mom is designing things, then that will def. help save costs. The material and labor are extremly cheap right now which is why I wish things would pick up so that I could get more business. Its just hard out there period. But i know some contractors are still busy, I guess that depends on their location. Where are your parents building a house?
Marketing, location, worth of mouth....depends highly on their demographic clientele
Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

I appreciate all the replys fellas, Im just going to push my name like the new blue magic, and hope for the best. I figure in a couple of years I will have a pretty good clientel. Im 23 so I hope to making good money by 25plus.

Quick Reply: How many of you guys are General Contractors?