Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Moving from DFW to LA

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving from DFW to LA

So i am planning to move to LA by the end of the year. Basically, i need a fresh start in my life. I wasted a lot of time in DFW. So i figured i might as well start all over in Cali. To me thats a 22 year olds dream.

How do yall like LA? Any tips/suggestions?

I know the economy is pretty shitty, but can you find a decent job?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

if memory serves me correct texas created more jobs then they lost last year while california needed a 25 billion dollar bailout. The job market would be better over there for sure.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas94z
So i am planning to move to LA by the end of the year. Basically, i need a fresh start in my life. I wasted a lot of time in DFW. So i figured i might as well start all over in Cali. To me thats a 22 year olds dream.

How do yall like LA? Any tips/suggestions?

I know the economy is pretty shitty, but can you find a decent job?
Good Luck on finding a job, Right now it seems people are taking what they can and for 1/2 the pay. Years ago I was making 50% more than what Im making today, the cost of living here is high, Traffic sucks, People here are rude (compared to other states I have been to). How funny my dream being 22 years old, is start fresh in DFW area to get the hell out of orange county. Most everyone that I have meet that grew up in other states and move here hate it, But you never know till you try it, Maybe you will love it here.

Last edited by XpEdItIoUs; 10-04-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Most everyone that I have meet that grew up in other states and move here hate it, But you never know till you try it, Maybe you will love it here.
Really? Half of the people that I meet from other states really like it here. The other half say they hate it, but end up living here the rest of their lives. If they hate it so much, you would think they would leave.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

I absolutely loved California when I lived there even for all it's flaws. I dig the weather, the mountains, beaches, deserts...all of it. I HATED the laws, unusually high ratio of ******** to cool people, the cost of living, and the traffic. If you can afford to live in a nice area more power to you but at 22 and starting at the bottom..you're going to rough it and it's a whole different world than the midwest.

I moved back to Oklahoma and love it.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

i grew up in orange county, went to school in boston, came back to cali to work, going back to school in las vegas and let me tell you... cali girls are the finest you will ever see
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
Really? Half of the people that I meet from other states really like it here. The other half say they hate it, but end up living here the rest of their lives. If they hate it so much, you would think they would leave.
Thats what im saying, but I don't know their life situations and didn't bother asking why they are still here, and I really don't care either.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

If your 22 move to Pacific Beach in SD. Of course if you mean wasted your time partying that might not be such a good move.lol. My g/f's from North Dallas she went to USC and has never left CA. You can find a job anywhere, if you're looking for a career here, plenty of community college's and opportunities. Get a job, go to school & bring out the Z and hang with us and you can always learn to surf.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

I love Cali. Thought of moving out, but couldn't do it. Great weather, great food. People from other states said they love it here. Beaches, mountains, and everything in between. Now traffic is another story. Without freeways, people in Cali wouldn't have a place to park. I don't drive rush hour traffic because I drive to work the other way. The only problem, everything and I mean everything here is over priced. Lots of uninsured drivers and people who don't understand the laws. If you see a driver with their blinkers on, beware, they're on the cell phone. Anyway, I love it here and I believe you will too. Take a one week vacation out here first and give it a try.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Thats what im saying, but I don't know their life situations and didn't bother asking why they are still here, and I really don't care either.
You know what I also hate? When people that have lived here for many years and came from somewhere else, and proclaim that wherever they came from is the best and that they're still from there. An example is this one person I knew who had moved here from NY in his 20's. The guy is over 60 now and still says he's a New Yorker and that things are better there. I think you're Californian now, and if things were better over there, then why did you spend the rest fo your life here? Obviously, it must have not been so bad here.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I moved from Houston, Texas to Santa Monica when I was 15 and at first it was my dream. I thought omg this place has the best weather, has the hottest girs, the nicest car, and the nicest houses. Now that I've gotten use to place and I've had to start paying for things i.e. food, gas, parking tickets I've gotten very annoyed of this place. Yes California is one of the most amazing places to live.....if you have money. In Santa Monica there is almost no where to park, and if there is a place you almost always have to pay for it. Gas is 3.79$ near my house. I have to drive a couple of miles to a gas station that sells gas that's cheaper at 3.35$ (still not cheap). The food here is amazing and fresh, but again not cheap. It's either cheap McDonalds or you have to pay at least 12 dollars a person at a restaurant. Yeah like I said California is amazing, but if don't have money it sucks *** to live here. Plus the laws suck too.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
You know what I also hate? When people that have lived here for many years and came from somewhere else, and proclaim that wherever they came from is the best and that they're still from there. An example is this one person I knew who had moved here from NY in his 20's. The guy is over 60 now and still says he's a New Yorker and that things are better there. I think you're Californian now, and if things were better over there, then why did you spend the rest fo your life here? Obviously, it must have not been so bad here.
reminds me of all the people who come to this country and talk bad about it
Old 10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Teching In

California is full. Stay away.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL I grew up in NorCal and would rather live there than SoCal, I plan to move there in a couple years cause the only real ghetto up there in Oakland. So Cal there is a ghetto in just about every city, with exception of a few.

I don't gel too well with the whole lifestyle cause I am a relaxed stay in or do something relaxing kind of person and about 80% of the peopl around here have to be doing something. There are a lot of cool car people here in Cali as whole, there are cool people as well but my preference is Nor Cal there is no other state like Cali, you can choose which part you want to live in and it is 2 different worlds, and great people in either spot just find what you like and stay there.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redracer1
If your 22 move to Pacific Beach in SD. Of course if you mean wasted your time partying that might not be such a good move.lol. My g/f's from North Dallas she went to USC and has never left CA. You can find a job anywhere, if you're looking for a career here, plenty of community college's and opportunities. Get a job, go to school & bring out the Z and hang with us and you can always learn to surf.
Thanks for the positive outlook man.

Im planning on joining the Americorps to help pay off some student loan debt. I have been looking for opportunities in SoCal. Ill know by the end of the week if the Americorps have something for me. So basically i will be committed to a full year of community service in SoCal. Its better than the Army lol.

When im off i want to get a bartending job and work weekends for extra money. Also, i want to take a break from cars and focus on other projects of mine.

I pretty much wanna chill super hard when i am not working and focus on my creative side to see where that leads me in life. If it doesn't work out for me in Cali i can always go back to Texas and finish up college debt free.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hlaalu
i grew up in orange county, went to school in boston, came back to cali to work, going back to school in las vegas and let me tell you... cali girls are the finest you will ever see
Texas girls are hot too bro. Texas girls like to eat meat unlike your cali girls .
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by texas94z
Texas girls are hot too bro. Texas girls like to eat meat unlike your cali girls .
oh my girls like the meat too...
Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hlaalu
oh my girls like the meat too...
haha good. i will love Cali then.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Teching In

SoCal hands down is among the top 2 places to live no questions asked..

I've lived in alot of places and trust me when i tell you we got the bombest bitches out here, greatest night life, and travel worthy places less than an hour or two away..

beaches, mountains, mexico, nevada, desert.. Whatever you need.

Economy is fucked up everywhere. An educations gonna help you out though.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

The emissions sucks fat ***** too. I wanted to move back to LA myself but I know it's not in the foreseeable future for me. Good luck on your decision...

Quick Reply: Moving from DFW to LA