Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Do not take your car to pep boys

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I never take my car to Pep Boys unless I'm only going in to buy parts. You should have seen my front strut mounts after Pep Boys got a hold of them a long time ago...
Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
pep boys licks ballz. i dont go there period and for tires all i trust is americas tire. screw goodyear and firestone. i cant even trust a gm dealer to put in a set of cats right! i do all my own **** id mount my own tires if i had the machine!
At harbor freight they sell a tire mounting machine for like $50, it is not the best but could be a lot handier than a pry bar lol. I have thought about that myself.

Originally Posted by DrifterFreak210
Dam dude, atleast you only have one code... and someone to blame it on, lol.
I found that letting it sit in the drive way for a day tricks you into thinking its fixed, so maybe if you leave it there long enough, the car will think its fixed and bam, no more code.
Yeah no.. didn't work I finally got it to flash and it tracked the cylinder to #2, apparently my spark plug wire has been sitting right on the primary coming from cyl. 2 and it has now melted the nice MSD wire I had, and who knows if they actually touched it, some of my wires were lose and I check them before I race, and the last time I drove it there were all snug as a bug in a rug.... who knows if they "checked" my spark plug wires or whatever.. doesn't matter it is fixed temporarily i will be buying some wire wrap for them.

Ohh the rear flat tire... that was caused by what looks like a piece of an exacto nife in the middle of the tire... I say they have poor shop prep and didn't clean up like they should have.. who knows I plugged the tire all is peachy now till I get a new set.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pep boys. hahah. They are a joke. After buying new tires and having them put on they tried to tell me that I needed to replace my distributor and it cost so much because it is way in the BACK of the motor under the cowl. ??? I was like really? Just finish my tires please.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok my knowledge of opti spark vehicles is limited but isn't it up front? I know this most likely is wrong but I thought opti was near the water pump.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Yeah no.. didn't work I finally got it to flash and it tracked the cylinder to #2, apparently my spark plug wire has been sitting right on the primary coming from cyl. 2 and it has now melted the nice MSD wire I had, and who knows if they actually touched it, some of my wires were lose and I check them before I race, and the last time I drove it there were all snug as a bug in a rug.... who knows if they "checked" my spark plug wires or whatever.. doesn't matter it is fixed temporarily i will be buying some wire wrap for them.
If cyl #2 is the front most one on the passenger side, I have the same problem. the MSD label on the plug wire rests on the header and has slightly melted. i regularly check to make sure it is turned the correct way so that it doesn't make contact though and it seems to be fine.. never had it throw a code before for it though.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check it though bobby mine looks ok ish but still I put a stock replacement wire there and bam issue fixed.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

doesn't matter it is fixed temporarily i will be buying some wire wrap for them.
I still have that orange wrap that you were gonna throw away. Do you want it back?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lee I am going to buy some black covering from Jegs, I wanna keep the engine bay looking cleanish.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

buy it from summit, they have these loom kits for $9 that has all different sizes, comes with tape, zip ties, etc
Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

check it though bobby mine looks ok ish but still I put a stock replacement wire there and bam issue fixed.
I'll check it out and see how bad it looks. just looks like the square label that sticks out and says MSD was melted, nothing more.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Pep Boys still sucks. FYI, even if you choose to take it to them for new tires they are going to pop your hood and **** with your ****. They call this a free inspection. It's total BS to get you to drop a lot of cash for random **** you can handle yourself in your driveway.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know they do that, they say that they did not touch my car, and now my good buddy who is the parts manager is like dude they said they didn't touch it.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

im a commercial manager at pepboys and i dont even let them touch my silverado nor my camaro.. this week they just blew a motor and another thing they did was ran over something and fucked up a oil pan!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I saw the local pep boys drop a lowered honda off a two post lift...
Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I saw the local pep boys drop a lowered honda off a two post lift...
LOL.. I wish I would have seen that!!! Ha Ha Ha
Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Skidog5150
LOL.. I wish I would have seen that!!! Ha Ha Ha
Well I know the guy that owns it, it wasn't pretty. He took the car there to use a lift because he's friends with a service tech and when he had to go run an pick up a part he forgot 5 mins away, this guy tried to move the honda off the lift and into another bay.....and fail.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So....

My friend send me a message on facebook of all places....

He pretty much uis saying that front tires wion't throw that code.. DUh thats a no brainer I told him it is the fact that I went there simply for tires and now my car isn't running right plus I had a piece of xacto knife stuck in my tire.

He then says maybe it was a prior issue caused before and it happen to occur after leaving there. Yes the melted wire is, but the two unplugged wires those were plugged in as I check that constantly.

He then says that I should not just be looking for someone to blame because my car isn't running right.

To the last part I said well I am sorry you feel that way but you know i don't run around blaming other people, I usually take the blame because I did something to my car other than what is a normal factory option therefore I am to blame if something goes wrong (aside from the actual cam itslef breaking into a million pieces or soemthing stupid like that). I guess i just lost a friend all because he has to stick up for the place he works at.

Ohh best part is I called him that day and asked "steve did anyone pop my hood or anything?" His reply "Yeah possibly why?" now he says that he never saw anyone pop the hood and was there the whole time... which i called him out because he and I were chatting with the service writer when they pulled the car in, then i went to look for a bulb and he was inside the store helping a customer when they started on my car.....
Old 12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess he really feels tough standing up for a company of such worth and merit such as Pep Boys. Sucks you lost a friend that way.

But anyways, I guess its really true that when someone else works on your ride I believe I should be allowed to be present if I'm paying for it in case something comes up. I usually propose that its easier for me to learn that way if so and so doesn't mind that I watch.

This situation sucks, but so does Pep Boys, so just take it and move on....
Old 12-16-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup I agree man I usually stay but I had some other things I had to take care of, I thought hell I know these guys my car should be safe...
Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
Pep boys. hahah. They are a joke. After buying new tires and having them put on they tried to tell me that I needed to replace my distributor and it cost so much because it is way in the BACK of the motor under the cowl. ??? I was like really? Just finish my tires please.
LOL...

Ok my knowledge of opti spark vehicles is limited but isn't it up front? I know this most likely is wrong but I thought opti was near the water pump.
Yeah, it's in the very front of the block behind the water pump. They still rape you on replacement labor because the harmonic balancer and the water pump have to be removed to get the opti off. In theory it's a good design because it is driven right off the face of the cam, but in reality, it's not one of GM's best ideas...

Quick Reply: Do not take your car to pep boys