Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Do not take your car to pep boys

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do not take your car to pep boys

So.... I went to pep boys on saturday to get some front tires installed. hats all I needed was front tires. Well I drop the ar off, my buddy who is the service writer, actually all the people there are old coworkers/friends. They get my car in, everything was running well, nothing abnormal. Well I get my car and go to leave.. she had a slight pinging noise so i was like hmmm not normal, get on it in the aprking lot in first to see if there is a stutter, no stutter, she reved up fine. drive it home I get my SES light on and it starts flashing at me like I am retarded (could be but thats neither here nor there). I get my scan tool out and plug it in once I get home, and it takes me like 4 or 5 tries to get my car in the drive way due to it stalling out each time I try to back it in. The code i am getting is a P0300.. just *****, all that had happened previous to this was she needed a new battery, started up fine. I have not had the chance to get under the hood and look yet but will be doing so shortly, ohh and on my way to work this morning i get out of the drive way and what happens? well I now have a flat MT ET street radial. FML, PEP BOYS CAN GO SUCK A DONKEY DICK.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats worse is that you said they were all friends.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is why myself and everyone else always tells everyone to not go to pep boys. the people who work there have no idea what they are doing
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Banned Village Idiot

that sux man, should've taken it to america's tires
Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well pep boys is really close by, and i though hey they can't **** anything up they are just installing tires....... lol...

The only other close place is a goodyear tire shop, shoulda just went there.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

what exactly did they do in your car? pull straight forward into a bay and then back out once finished? I have a hard time believing they caused that. I have a feeling it was coming anyways and it just happened to be after somebody else sat in the car.

unless of course they had to test drive the car for whatever reason, then I would be very suspicious of them.

just about every time i buy tires, i take the wheels off myself and bring them in.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 'WHEELS'
what exactly did they do in your car? pull straight forward into a bay and then back out once finished? I have a hard time believing they caused that. I have a feeling it was coming anyways and it just happened to be after somebody else sat in the car.

unless of course they had to test drive the car for whatever reason, then I would be very suspicious of them.

just about every time i buy tires, i take the wheels off myself and bring them in.

That would have been a better idea, the flat tire I don't know what caused that yet. But the p0300 code I don't know, i do know that a lot of times they will rev up cars as they are in the bay, plus mine does not start up and idle smooth I still need to get it in for a idle tune which is by my own fault that it has not been done already. So I told them you may have to wait for the car to warm up when driving it in.

I don't kow whats up, I don't know if they did it either but it is kinda ironic that she starts acting up after i take in.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 'WHEELS'

Exactly my thoughts...

A P0300 multiple/random missfire means you have a problem in your ignition system. They didn't cause that. Even if they did test drive your car and get on it a little, that wouldn't cause you to start missfiring. Check your plugs and plug wires...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Exactly my thoughts...

A P0300 multiple/random missfire means you have a problem in your ignition system. They didn't cause that. Even if they did test drive your car and get on it a little, that wouldn't cause you to start missfiring. Check your plugs and plug wires...
Still need to get back in there again, saturday i was not touching anything due to the rain, hell i had to throw a new battery in there on saturday.

SRJ I know what P0300 means but it is ironic how **** happens after taking it to pep boys. I will be checkin her out tonight seeing if any plug wires are off. It was doing this when I first finished the cam install put new MSD wires on and issue was gone.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Still need to get back in there again, saturday i was not touching anything due to the rain, hell i had to throw a new battery in there on saturday.

SRJ I know what P0300 means but it is ironic how **** happens after taking it to pep boys. I will be checkin her out tonight seeing if any plug wires are off. It was doing this when I first finished the cam install put new MSD wires on and issue was gone.
easy either one of the wires is grounded out or burnt through ....highly unlikey just cause its an ls car and you said new msd wires
they either popped off on plug wire and barely put it back on .... or one of the coils it bad

any good code reader will tell you which coil it is
Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i don't know if my reader will tell me this. I will have to see if it does. Ohh well, I am more or less bitching... I am just pissed cause i had fixed most of the issues with the tbird last week before selling it, I was like ok well i got my camaro and she will love to be driven again.... then this, then a flat tire this morning, when it rains it pours. Ohhh well. At least I am getting some excercise from walking to work.

I know the p0300 really isn't much more than the spark plug wires but the thing it if that was the case I would notice a stutter when I rev it up, but that is not happening at all.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Well pep boys is really close by, and i though hey they can't **** anything up they are just installing tires....... lol...
They put my tires on backwards once. That was the last time I went to Pepboys.

I could be wrong, but when I had a P0300 error, it was the 45 degree fitting coming off of the TB for the PCV line. Mine had a slit on the bottom. I think I told somebody else about it and that was their issue too. Check it out.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Ya I went in a pep boys shop one time cuz one of the slider pins on my front break caliper fell out, all I wanted was a new pin installed... Well the service tech told me I cant buy just the slider pin and I likely f*cked up the whole caliper and it needed to be replaced and was gonna cost a hundred and something dollars. I was pretty sure he was full of sh*t so I went to the parts counter (at the same pep boy's mind you) and what do you know they sell a slider pin set for like 12 bucks. went home installed pin and 30k miles later caliper's still fine no issues what so ever... Dumba*s's... That was the day I decided I'd never take my car to a pep boys service dept.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do not take your car to pep boys bahahaha, no ****.

But what does code have to do with PB's? Are you insinuating that they intentionally popped the hood and screwed with car?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Do not take your car to pep boys bahahaha, no ****.

But what does code have to do with PB's? Are you insinuating that they intentionally popped the hood and screwed with car?
To be honest I have heard that some of the techs at this pb do that, I have never seen it myself, but from what I had heard when I worked there.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be honest I have heard that some of the techs at this pb do that, I have never seen it myself, but from what I had heard when I worked there.
Wouldn't one of your "friends" tell you if someone did this?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Wouldn't one of your "friends" tell you if someone did this?
My friend is the parts counter manager and was not in there when they were working on the car, he said he thought he saw the hood open, then my other friend works the service counter and is not an actual tech. The tech says he never touched anything else on the car.

Like i said I guess more than anything i am venting, kinda pissed, but I do know that it comes with the territory, I have had some crappiness there before with the wrong parts being listed, I go to my local mom and pop shop and they get the parts quicker and less money and better quality. Gotta love Ernies auto parts.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

i once went to pep boys to test my starter and the guy had no clue how to use the tester, i had to show him,,ever since that day i never went back
Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

pep boys licks ballz. i dont go there period and for tires all i trust is americas tire. screw goodyear and firestone. i cant even trust a gm dealer to put in a set of cats right! i do all my own **** id mount my own tires if i had the machine!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Dam dude, atleast you only have one code... and someone to blame it on, lol.
I found that letting it sit in the drive way for a day tricks you into thinking its fixed, so maybe if you leave it there long enough, the car will think its fixed and bam, no more code.

Quick Reply: Do not take your car to pep boys