Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

What Motor Oil You Running?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT Chevyboy
Is it true that once you run Royal Purple, you more or less have to stick with it, no switching up brands after that? Because of the additives they use, I can't remember exactly...
not true from my experience.........I've ran it on and off for years in my other cars w/ no problems

-James
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
They sell the 5+ container now, watch out for it
I've seen the 5qt. container, just not in the weight I use (0w40).
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

I'd like to switch to 0w40 after I replace my rear main seal, but if I used that oil now it would leak out over night.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Purple
10w-40
K&N oil filter
Autozone has it per gallon containers or 5w30 in qts.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

5w30 Valvoline MaxLife™ Full Synthetic w/ STP oil filter
I buy from Wal-mart.
Been using Valvoline as long as I can remember.
I run Valvoline in ALL my cars and never had any issues.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

synthetic supertech 10w30
Old 03-29-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Just a heads up to you all so you don't get confused like I did tonight lol, AC Delco changed their filter design, it's now PF46E, it's about a 1/4 inch shorter. It's suppose to be shitty now though. ghey.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil 1 5w30, been using that for years now.
put over 150K miles on my 93Z28 and when we took off the heads and looked inside she was all nice & purty and clean, I swear by it.
I've been using it on my 01SS now, over 65K miles put on it and I change it every 6K miles.
Mobil 1 M1-107 filter too.
I get it at Autozone, just bought a 5qt container for 29.99
Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mobil 1 10W30 with K&n filter for me.
use it on my 01/SS (100Kmi) and the gf's 99 Z28 (122Kmi)
get it at walmart.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

i never understood the wights. i know the higher the number the thicker it is. why do some of you guys run 0w? arent you supposed to switch over to 10W from 5w after 75K mi?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01SOMSS!
i never understood the wights. i know the higher the number the thicker it is. why do some of you guys run 0w? arent you supposed to switch over to 10W from 5w after 75K mi?
There is a lot behind it, but i'll try and sum it up in a nutshell. The first number is the oil viscosity when its cold, and the second number is when its warmed up. A lot of people mistake the "W" in 5w-30 (for example) for "weight" but it actually stands for "weather." Most people recommend to switch from a 5w to a 10w after around 100K or so here in Cali, simply because higher mileage, aged motors are more prone to leaks due to time and mileage, so the thicker the oil is when its cold, the less it the motor will leak (in theory).

Those who live in climates where it varies from extreme cold to extreme hot, will run an oil such as a 0W-40. The 0w gives it ultimate capability to flow when its extremely cold out, to prevent engine wear on start up, and the 40w gives the motor ultimate protection when hot. 0W-30 or 0W-40 are excellent choices for any motor, especially LSX, but on older cars you may experience leaks when you didn't before. I used 0W-40 a few times in my Silverado with a 5.3 Vortec that has over a 100K on it, and didn't notice any more leaks than usual, but I already have a small bit of residual oil leaks on the oil pan, since the truck is ten years old.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Mobil 1 used to be good but they dropped from a Class1 oil to a Class3 (correction: Group V to Group III). Thats when I stopped using it.

Last edited by C5natie; 03-31-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C5natie
Mobil 1 used to be good but they dropped from a Class1 oil to a Class3. Thats when I stopped using it.
Really? Can I get some more info on this?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hlaalu
+1 for info
Old 03-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
+1 for info
I run Amsoil in everything I own. 5W30 in the 2002 Camaro SS. A good word for Amsoil. I own a several routes for a well known delivery company. In my Stepvans I use Amsoil 15W40 Diesel Oil. I ran 76,000 miles on one oil change. I had the oil tested periodically and it was like new every time. I just change once a year now and have the oil tested when I do. I always get the same result, there is no need to change the oil, It always tests great. I change it once year just because I want to not need to. Averaging 50,000 a year of heavy stop ang go driving, hardly ever shutting the vehicle off. I am convinced there is no better oil with the results I get.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

For more info, I am just above 70k, and lose about 1/2 qt. in between oil changes, with no noticeable leaks (no oil stains where I park).

I change oil based on time, not mileage, since I don't exceed any mileage limits before I reach time limits.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jeremy 92 RS
There is a lot behind it, but i'll try and sum it up in a nutshell. The first number is the oil viscosity when its cold, and the second number is when its warmed up. A lot of people mistake the "W" in 5w-30 (for example) for "weight" but it actually stands for "WINTER." Most people recommend to switch from a 5w to a 10w after around 100K or so here in Cali, simply because higher mileage, aged motors are more prone to leaks due to time and mileage, so the thicker the oil is when its cold, the less it the motor will leak (in theory).

Those who live in climates where it varies from extreme cold to extreme hot, will run an oil such as a 0W-40. The 0w gives it ultimate capability to flow when its extremely cold out, to prevent engine wear on start up, and the 40w gives the motor ultimate protection when hot. 0W-30 or 0W-40 are excellent choices for any motor, especially LSX, but on older cars you may experience leaks when you didn't before. I used 0W-40 a few times in my Silverado with a 5.3 Vortec that has over a 100K on it, and didn't notice any more leaks than usual, but I already have a small bit of residual oil leaks on the oil pan, since the truck is ten years old.
fixed it for ya
Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hlaalu
Yeah, I'll try to look it up today. I use to have have the article saved on my work computer and I deleted it. I do remember that there were only like 3-4 companies at class 1 and Amsoil and RP were two of them. I'll post it up as soon as I find it.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Ok guys, I was able to look up some info before getting busy at work. Check out this website for good info on motor oil, http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html. There is a ton of info out there and a lot of oil companies have their own oil ratings systems so watch out and make sure the info you get is from a neutral party. Prior info I had read listed the oil categories as Classes, it now seems the correct classification is by Groups. Group I II III IV and V.

Synthetic Oils Groups
V- Non mineral based stock, all man made
IV- Semi mineral based, stock still partially derived from dino-oil
III- Mineral based, most popular "syn" oils you see ( they get the job done for most applications one will see)

Group II- Mineral based oil using the Iso-DeWaxing method, 97% oil 3% paraffin wax.

There is a ton of oil info on the web you can look up and spend hours reading. I suggest everyone do so to get educated on how oil really works and how its made instead of relying on advertising, plus its pretty intresting. Basically Group II 'dino' oils include most conventional oils like Chevron Delo 400, Mobil Delvac 1300, and Shell Rotella. Group III mineral based synthetics are Mobil1, Castrol Syntec, and most other popular syn oils. Group IV are rarely seen since they are more expensive to produce than Group III but dont perform like Group V so no one really makes them. Might as well stick to Group III. Group V REAL full synthetics only include a small group, AMSoil, Redline, Motul 5100, Royal Purple, and Delvac-1.

A few more misconceptions: 'European Formulas' are better oils. In the U.S. youll find that some companies put a Euro Formula label on a specific oil. Only difference is that these oils contain more detergents than other 'US' oils but offer no extra protection and are no more special in other lubrication areas. Diesel oils as well can be used on gasoline engines. These oils contain more detergents for cleaner oil and additives for higher engine temps. They also usually contain more zinc. If you dont have a "smog legal" hi-perf engine it wouldnt hurt to use a good syn diesel engine oil. Also, ONLY IN THE U.S. is Group III oils sold as Full-Synthetics. Any where else they are considered to be a conventional oil or a blend.

Hope this helps. Like I said, there is a ton of info out there but truth is most oils, even dino-oil, will get the job done if you routinely maintain your vehicle and change the oil at the proper intervals, which vary with engine run time, not necessarily miles. I only recommend a Group V synthetic if you regularily see oil temps exceeding 250 degrees for a prolonged period of time or high revs. Good luck

BTW, Mobil1 and K&N oil filters are the same, made by Champion labs. K&N has that nut on it though that comes in handy.

Last edited by C5natie; 03-31-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
For more info, I am just above 70k, and lose about 1/2 qt. in between oil changes, with no noticeable leaks (no oil stains where I park).

I change oil based on time, not mileage, since I don't exceed any mileage limits before I reach time limits.
LS motors are notorious for blow-by. Weak stock piston ring design for better fuel mileage. Once I rebuilt my bottom end I havent lost any oil between oil changes. Get a oil catchcan and youll see where that 1/2 quart goes.

Quick Reply: What Motor Oil You Running?