Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Turn Signal Problem...Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Turn Signal Problem...Need some help!

I've searched around the forum already but I still have a question...so im having problems with my right side turn signal...sometimes when i hit the lever up to engage my right turn signal nothings happens...i have to push it up hard and move the lever around till it works but when it does work the arrow just stays on. I replaced the bulb about a week ago so I know thats good and I've also checked both sockets with a multimeter and I'm getting 12 volts on both sides. My left blinker works perfectly. I have noticed that my turn signal lever is loose and has some play to it and my cruise control no longer works. If I turn on my lights the low filament on the bulb lights up but during the day when the DRL's are on that side doesn't light up at all.

Also yesterday I noticed that when I put my hazards on only the left side arrow was blinking. I had to mess around with the hazard button and move it around until both arrows inside the car started blinking. On the outside both rear lights were blinking and in the front only the driver side was blinking.

so my question is the following: what the hell is the problem and how do i fix it? lol

For starters I was gonna buy a new turn signal lever but looking at the fact that its a cool $150+ and a PITA to replace I figured i'd ask before I get to tearing up my steering column
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a spring return issue for my turn signal, for a left turn. The spring flew the **** out lol...

I only say this as I know how much of a pain in the *** it is to pull the assembly apart, so now I return my left signal manually.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

yup heard its a bitch to replace things in there...wonder how much it would cost to get a shop to do the work for me
Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Its easy I have yet to have time to repair mine, but same issue lever works fine for right turns but does not return for left turns. The turn signal hub is a $3 part to top it off
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
yup heard its a bitch to replace things in there...wonder how much it would cost to get a shop to do the work for me
No it's really not. Just drop the steering column down or pull it out entirely. You can replace anything with ease.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
No it's really not. Just drop the steering column down or pull it out entirely. You can replace anything with ease.
any idea what the problem is tho? and how much would it cost to get u out here to lend a hand? lol
Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

any idea what the problem is tho? and how much would it cost to get u out here to lend a hand? lol
It could be the turn signal hub as djsanchez2 stated. But I have never had this issus. But I have removed steering columns more times than I can remember. If you get whatever parts are determined necessary, I can help you replace them. I might have time this weekend.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry if it's a stupid question but could u elaborate on the turn signal hub? totally cluless in this matter...what's the function of it? Pretty busy myself so I don't know when I'll get to it but I'll be sure to call SRJ when and if I get stuck
Old 05-18-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry if it's a stupid question but could u elaborate on the turn signal hub? totally cluless in this matter...what's the function of it? Pretty busy myself so I don't know when I'll get to it but I'll be sure to call SRJ when and if I get stuck
I'm pretty sure it's the little junction box (or whatever you'd call it) that the turn signal rod connects to.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Well inside the streering column there is a series of hubs, wiring boards, airbag hub, etc.

The turn signal is a doughnut shaped white or black (depending on year) plastic hub that has a series of catches for the arm action. There are 2 return springs that pop the arm back from either direction after the wheel moves through a specific range of motion. Sometimes the hub will crack or the catches will snap off or most times the bolts are just loose or the spring has fallen out of position.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Get a new column...
Old 05-18-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by m6ttop
Get a new column...
Lol buy me a new one foo
Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Well inside the streering column there is a series of hubs, wiring boards, airbag hub, etc.

The turn signal is a doughnut shaped white or black (depending on year) plastic hub that has a series of catches for the arm action. There are 2 return springs that pop the arm back from either direction after the wheel moves through a specific range of motion. Sometimes the hub will crack or the catches will snap off or most times the bolts are just loose or the spring has fallen out of position.
so a $3 part could fix my problem n make my blinker and cruise control work again? if so, that's fkn awesome
Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Hey they're not that expensive. There's like 3 part outs in the classifieds
Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by m6ttop
Hey they're not that expensive. There's like 3 part outs in the classifieds
I'd rather keep my column and learn a thing or two in the process bro.

anyway, http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

is #3 the part djsanchez is talking about?

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Problem...Need some help!