Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tuner can't tune my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked-98
I agree with not bieng able to stop the eye burning with the idle screw.I was trying to get it to idle a little better.As for the tps sensor,how do you reset it? Do you disconnect and the reconnect?
I am pretty sure the TPS on yours is not adjustable & theres no resetting of it. The more you adjust your idle screw just makes the TPS voltage go up, & the PCM reads that & will increase the injector spray time. It does sound like you may need to have it retuned. How much did you pay for the first tune? I realize you got the cam for nothing but sometimes a good deal isnt always a good deal especially when you dont know what youre working with. A good deal & trying to save some money will usually cost more when all said & done.

Last edited by flintwrench69; 05-25-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I am pretty sure the TPS on yours is not adjustable & theres no resetting of it. The more you adjust your idle screw just makes the TPS voltage go up, & the PCM reads that & will increase the injector spray time. It does sound like you may need to have it retuned. How much did you pay for the first tune? I realize you got the cam for nothing but sometimes a good deal isnt always a good deal especially when you dont know what youre working with. A good deal & trying to save some money will usually cost more when all said & done.
and it appears like that is the case with me lol.I believe it was like 400 bux.he said he wouldn't charge me the full price because he couldn't fully tune.He also installed some 42lb/hr injectors so that was part of the price.I will be investigating another tuner and if he says the same thing then I'm gonna just go with a new cam.Here is a link to some pics I took of the autotap.Incase someone knowledgeable wants to take a crack at it.They were all at idle
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...ed-98/AUTOTAP/
Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

and it appears like that is the case with me lol.I believe it was like 400 bux.he said he wouldn't charge me the full price because he couldn't fully tune.He also installed some 42lb/hr injectors so that was part of the price.I will be investigating another tuner and if he says the same thing then I'm gonna just go with a new cam.Here is a link to some pics I took of the autotap.Incase someone knowledgeable wants to take a crack at it.They were all at idle
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...ed-98/AUTOTAP/
So theres your problem right there, lettin someone that cant fully tune tune it. I bet he didnt even have a wideband either.
If you knew he couldnt fully tune & you paid him $400 then you must have a lot of money. Theres no way I wouldve let him tune my car if he told me that. You paid close to full price, I paid $445 last year after my cam install, to a reputable tuner. Some do charge more but I would say thats average. You might not need to go with a different cam but its not a bad idea cuz that way you know whats in there & not a blower cam with no specs. & find a reputable tuner that knows what the hell theyre doing, that might help. I cant imagine changing some injectors is all that hard either but you got what you got.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

lol on that.The a/f is at that on idle and stays steady all the way up.This is suppose to be a reputable shop.But I'm just gonna take it in to the other tuner in the area.I also didn't notice any knock at all but I was thinking that he could just have turned the sensitivity down on the sensors.No audible knock either
DAMN! so what shop did you take your car to? if you don't want to put them on blast pm me. reason i ask is i need to have my car tuned later this year but i don't know who i'm goin to take it too
Old 05-25-2010, 01:42 PM
11 Second Truck Club

and it appears like that is the case with me lol.I believe it was like 400 bux.he said he wouldn't charge me the full price because he couldn't fully tune.He also installed some 42lb/hr injectors so that was part of the price.
42 lbs/hr injectors huh? Mine new cost me almost $400 was he gonna throw in the tune for free. Does he know how to correct for 42 lbs/hr injectors? Might explain the whole eyes burning thing...
Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I adjusted the idle screw and it helped some but it still burns the eyes.I ran the auto tap and my stock o2 sensors were detecting a 14.5 mixture.My timing was at about 22* advance bu when I reved to about 4500rpm it jumped to about 38* or so.Is this normal.It didn't seem normal to me
Depending on when you saw 38 degrees of timing it could be completely normal. The stock calibration has over 40 degrees in some areas that could randomly pop up on your autotap.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MPFD
42 lbs/hr injectors huh? Mine new cost me almost $400 was he gonna throw in the tune for free. Does he know how to correct for 42 lbs/hr injectors? Might explain the whole eyes burning thing...
I had the injectors already laying around.So he just charged the install.Full price I believe was 550.00 for a full tune.I will be taking my car to rick @synergy motorsports for a tune and I'm not returning to the other guy
Old 05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the injectors already laying around.So he just charged the install.Full price I believe was 550.00 for a full tune.I will be taking my car to rick @synergy motorsports for a tune and I'm not returning to the other guy
Even if he does a great tune. You can get one for much less than that. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

so who is the other guy lol
Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by King Nothing
so who is the other guy lol
lol alot of people like him from around here in northern california,that is the reason I went to him in the first place.But I don't wanna hate on him.He seemed like a nice enough guy.He did put me through a wild goose chase over a blown fuse.Made me believe my transmission was goin out
Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

lol alot of people like him from around here in northern california,that is the reason I went to him in the first place.But I don't wanna hate on him.He seemed like a nice enough guy.He did put me through a wild goose chase over a blown fuse.Made me believe my transmission was goin out
Well what do they like him for? He might be a nice guy but it sounds like hes not very good at tuning.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 897 Likes on 639 Posts

So r u sure its not mechanical? There could be problems the tuner isn't responsible for.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:44 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Are we sure we cant get this thread to take a turn to the epic side? I'm just waiting for the tuner to be Chuck from HPE doing craigslist tunes in NorCal. LAWL!

(I love the fact that I have been 0 help in this one.)
Old 05-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Rick tuned my 232/232 109 lsa. Runs good and I drive her everyday.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

can you at least pm me his name so i know who not to go to, not to sound like a dick or anything but it would help me out. originally my car was tuned by nick at newtech but i'm not so sure i'm gonna take it back there for the new engine
Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol on that.The a/f is at that on idle and stays steady all the way up.This is suppose to be a reputable shop.But I'm just gonna take it in to the other tuner in the area.I also didn't notice any knock at all but I was thinking that he could just have turned the sensitivity down on the sensors.No audible knock either
Can you PM the shop that you took it to for the tune? I'm in Oakland and I need to know who can be trusted or not for the tunes around here. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well, apparently all you need to do is ask if they can do a full tune. If he says "Yes" you know its not him.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67camaro
Rick tuned my 232/232 109 lsa. Runs good and I drive her everyday.

That is a tough cam to tune especially cold idle.

I have a similiar cam but on a 111 and once warm drives like stock but cold idle sucks......
Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

yeah pm me his name too.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

The tuner did say that the he suspected the cam was bad or installed bad however he also told me my tranny was blown.I left the car shifting very well with no problems so I didn't think it would just go like that.I drove it home under limp mode and found it was a fuse he couldn't diagnose so he couldn't tune it the first time.When I took it back to him thats when he said he couldn't tune it, that either my cam was bad or incorrectly installed or my engine was blown or so crap I can't remember

Quick Reply: Tuner can't tune my car