Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

What's Colorado like?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question What's Colorado like?

I've been wanting to move out of this shitty state for a while now. While it won't happen anytime soon, over the next year or two I wanna start looking elsewhere to live. Couple subjects I'm curious about...

Housing costs
Crime - varies per city I'm sure
Smog/Emissions laws (can I have a car hobby in this state without being hassled)
Gun Laws - Can I carry?
Employment
Weather
Cost of living

I've only been to CO once... we went to Colorado Springs for vacation and I remember it being beautiful! So as of now, I've got my sights set on that place. But I'm sure there are many more areas of CO that are nice too...

On a side note... gonna be moving into our new house today. Unfortunately still in CA...
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres alot of Mexicans and African Americans in Colorado, so yeahhhh......I dont think you'll like it, judging by your previous posts.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am originally from Texas, but decided to move to Colorado Springs. I really like it here, and it's a great place to live. There are a lot of hippie's here though.

Housing costs: Probably about 20% more than a normal price of a house anywhere else. However, they are usually 2-3 story, and basements. I'm looking into a 2-3 bedroom with a 2 car garage soon. I'll probably pay about 150-170K. If I get land with it, I'm looking at 200K

Crime: This does vary, but like all cities there are places you do/do not go

Smog/Emissions laws: Some places you can, some places you can't. El Paso County does not have emissions, but Denver (80 miles away) does.

Gun Laws: There is no law that denies Open Carry, however you will probably be harassed. CCL is easy to get, and only costs about 250$. This is a gun friendly state

Employment: Again, depends on a lot. What type of job, where you live, etc. I stay around military bases, so Colorado Springs has 3 AF installations, and 1 Army installation.

Weather: Mild winters, you have about 3-4 big snows, but nothing crazy. Summers are warm and not very humid. It can get into the 100's some days, but summer nights are great. I enjoy the cold and snowboarding, so this is perfect for me.

Cost of living: I see no difference in prices of food, clothing, lodging as I did when I lived in Alabama or Colorado. My current apartment is very affordable at 625$ a month for a 1bdr in a good part of town.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Theres alot of Mexicans and African Americans in Colorado, so yeahhhh......I dont think you'll like it, judging by your previous posts.
Where? I lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years and there was 1 mexican at my high school, 2 black people, one was adopted by a white family and apparently black people don't consider this black, and 2 asian kids who were foreign exchange students. Denver might have a few more but the typical demographic of Colorado is mostly white hell my high school was broken down to 99% white. Colorado as a whole is a white state which is why i moved too many white people too close gets too annoying.

Fountain/Fort Carson area is not the best but compared to most anywhere in SoCal it is better, their ghetto is like a ghetto part of Orange County. Denver is the most interesting part, there is more going on there than Colorado Springs, the springs has a lot of Bible belt stuff. I don't personally like CO due to it's high altitude and when I moved there, their dislike of people from CA, but who knows it may have changed by now.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Where? I lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years and there was 1 mexican at my high school, 2 black people, one was adopted by a white family and apparently black people don't consider this black, and 2 asian kids who were foreign exchange students. Denver might have a few more but the typical demographic of Colorado is mostly white hell my high school was broken down to 99% white. Colorado as a whole is a white state which is why i moved too many white people too close gets too annoying.

Fountain/Fort Carson area is not the best but compared to most anywhere in SoCal it is better, their ghetto is like a ghetto part of Orange County. Denver is the most interesting part, there is more going on there than Colorado Springs, the springs has a lot of Bible belt stuff. I don't personally like CO due to it's high altitude and when I moved there, their dislike of people from CA, but who knows it may have changed by now.
It was a joke since Wes doesnt like black and mexican people.....lol
Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by white2001formula

Cost of living: I see no difference in prices of food, clothing, lodging as I did when I lived in Alabama or Colorado. My current apartment is very affordable at 625$ a month for a 1bdr in a good part of town.
****! My girlfriend (who is Mexican ) and I pay over $1200/month for a 1 bedroom here. I've been looking to move for a while now. I hate Ca laws and cost of living!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I kinda figured too sorry there was some sarcasm in there, his posts make me laugh about Mexicans and Black people lol.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to CO and not TX. TX is lame...
Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

I was at Ft Carson for 3 years... it's definitely different than Upland as far as the "niceness" of everything goes. Everything is a lot older and more rundown IMO. I never really though it was that pretty there but that's just me. They are gun friendly, it takes about 20 minutes to buy a gun if you're a resident or military. Got a dragstrip in Pueblo about 45 min south, doesn't get to crowded but i was going in the spring time. Cost of living ain't bad at all, maybe higher than the midwest or whatever, but much cheaper than here. The only part I liked about Colorado Springs was downtown, it was a pretty cool atmosphere... ALOT of military though.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

FWIW I'm moving to spokane,wa next year. They have a nice 1/4 mile strip right outside town, coeur d'alene which is amazing is a short hop across the border. They have emissions, and they can get snow anytime during the year, but.... a nice 2000 sq ft home with a 30'x40' shop on a half acre costs like 150-160k, they have an e85 station in the middle of town, and they're real gun friendly.

There's always compromises looking for a place to live... but for giving up only the nice so cal weather you get away from the ridiculous people, ridiculous cost of living, ridiculous state deficit, ridiculous gun control, ridiculously high taxes, ridiculous emissions, ridiculous cops, RIDICULOUS TRAFFIC, etc.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

We have Bandemeire in Denver. I haven't been to that 1/4 mile track. There are quite a few more upscale and modern apartments that I could live in, but I'm currently renting a house, so I try to live a little frugal just in case something happens with my house.

Now, I'm not shitting on California but I don't know why anyone would want to live their. The weather must be REALLY nice to tolerate some of the things that I see people complaining about.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

California is nice if you have some serious money. Weather is great all year. You can get away from all the crap that sucks about California but you need $$$. That being said I came back to Ohio.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is my opinion since ive lived here my whole life...the springs can be great, in certain areas there is no emmisions. Some nice mountains and scenery.

Now for further north, denver sucks, emmisions, asshat cops, ect.

If anyone hasnt lived in the state in the last 3 years they do not realize how many more mexicans and blacks are living here, im not racist at all but the amount has grown 10 fold recently.

Cost is more expensive than most places and the job market really sucks right now unless your military or have some sorta good degree.

Now for me its nice but I honestly would like to try out another state since I never have.

Good luck with your decision when you get here I can set you up with some local guys in the springs with f bodys and some local forums.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
FWIW I'm moving to spokane,wa next year. They have a nice 1/4 mile strip right outside town, coeur d'alene which is amazing is a short hop across the border. They have emissions, and they can get snow anytime during the year, but.... a nice 2000 sq ft home with a 30'x40' shop on a half acre costs like 150-160k, they have an e85 station in the middle of town, and they're real gun friendly.

There's always compromises looking for a place to live... but for giving up only the nice so cal weather you get away from the ridiculous people, ridiculous cost of living, ridiculous state deficit, ridiculous gun control, ridiculously high taxes, ridiculous emissions, ridiculous cops, RIDICULOUS TRAFFIC, etc.
wow is sounds like you love California so much i dont understand why you would move away
Old 07-30-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate cali too and have been thinking of going to Oregon but the problem is cars and car culture is a big part of my life and well so cal is one of the best places for that and im assuming Oregon probably not so much

:/
Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm offended you didn't come talk to me first Wes. Look up Littleton, CO. I think you would like it there. Not too small town like the springs cuz it's a suburb of Denver and close to the mountains/drag strip, and nice neighborhoods.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 AM
TECH Junkie

WTF?!?!

If your gonna say it... get it right!

It was a joke since Wes doesnt like black people and illegal immigrants.....lol
^^^^FIXED!!!

The rest I deal with... LMAO... I kid, I kid!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Datzneat
I'm offended you didn't come talk to me first Wes. Look up Littleton, CO. I think you would like it there. Not too small town like the springs cuz it's a suburb of Denver and close to the mountains/drag strip, and nice neighborhoods.
didn't even occur to me Jay!

Oh yes... Littleton... didn't they make a name for themselves a few years back?

Probably wouldn't have been my first choice for an example... but whatever
Old 07-31-2010, 03:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I kinda figured too sorry there was some sarcasm in there, his posts make me laugh about Mexicans and Black people lol.
BTW... the roots of my comments probably come frome my South East Texas upbringing all my life

But I should probably clarify who/what my slurs are pointed at... basically all the low life, scum sucking dirtbags that tend to be more of them in one race over the other. I'm usually just pointing out that fact. But if there's a white scum sucking low life piece of **** out there, I feel the SAME way about him too! I'm not really discriminatory when it comes to this argument

besides... I don't wanna start another race argument. I'm sick of those because I don't think people ever fully understand the roots of my comments and what I mean. It's usually taken completely out of context and offends too many people. Even when I'm speaking the blatant truth...

Truth is, I have many many friends from other races who I consider equal to any of my white friends... difference is, these individuals are not the thugs, drug addicts, murderers, trafficers, leeches, and of the likes of many of the others of whom I'm focusing my anger at...

K... enough on races... lets get back to Colorado!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Teching In

I live in Colorado springs. Absolutely love it. There are minorities everywhere if the guys up there were being serious. As for your questions: and this is only speaking for el paso county (colorado springs) No emissions at all you can do whatever you want.

Guns: You can carry with no prob, easy as hell to get a license.

Cost of living: Compared to socal, rent is free.

Weather: Its Colorado. It has all four seasons but in no particular order. It will snow one day and be 80 the next. Winter is cold, summer is hot.

As far as crime, its relatively low compared to population (once again just colorado springs here)

As for my personal opinion: Denver is ****. But other than that, throw a dart at the map, pack up your **** and move dude. You'll prob love it here if you don't mind the occasional snow.

Quick Reply: What's Colorado like?