Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

WTB: Fuel Pump & Injectors for 99 LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB: Fuel Pump & Injectors for 99 LS1 Camaro

I think one of my injectors might be bad on my camaro. It seems like my car is running extremly rich, and I have a black sooty smoke coming out of the exhaust. I am looking to buy some semi stock injectors, or something I wont need a tune from.

I have headers, tb, and some other basic stuff. I Have heard from a couple people that they think it is the pump going out, or it could be an injector spraying more then necessary. Can someone shed there opinion on this matter, and also let me know if you have a fuel pump for sale. I want to get a direct fit. I'll probaly buy the fuel pump new from WS6 Store, but the injectors I am not sure. Let me know. I live in Riverside. Also how difficult is the install for both.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EVERETTDREW
I think one of my injectors might be bad on my camaro. It seems like my car is running extremly rich, and I have a black sooty smoke coming out of the exhaust. I am looking to buy some semi stock injectors, or something I wont need a tune from.

I have headers, tb, and some other basic stuff. I Have heard from a couple people that they think it is the pump going out, or it could be an injector spraying more then necessary. Can someone shed there opinion on this matter, and also let me know if you have a fuel pump for sale. I want to get a direct fit. I'll probaly buy the fuel pump new from WS6 Store, but the injectors I am not sure. Let me know. I live in Riverside. Also how difficult is the install for both.
Pull up your rail with the fuel line still attached. Prime the pump (KOEO), do not start the car. See if the any of the injectors are leaking as no fuel should be coming out of any of them.

As far as testing the pump goes, I would simply hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and drive the car around and cycle it from zero load to full load several times (actually driving it, not just reving it) and watch the gauge to see if the fuel pressure drops. It should hold steady at idle and increase with load.

PS. I would check for exhaust leaks and/or bad front o2 sensors as they can lead to a rich condition.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Pull up your rail with the fuel line still attached. Prime the pump (KOEO), do not start the car. See if the any of the injectors are leaking as no fuel should be coming out of any of them.

As far as testing the pump goes, I would simply hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and drive the car around and cycle it from zero load to full load several times (actually driving it, not just reving it) and watch the gauge to see if the fuel pressure drops. It should hold steady at idle and increase with load.

PS. I would check for exhaust leaks and/or bad front o2 sensors as they can lead to a rich condition.
The front o2 senors where spliced when we installed my headers. They are not the true o2 extensions. Maybe this could be an issue. Will a scan tool tell me anything about whats wrong? Its running so rich that little black sooty flakes come out when it idles. It all came on pretty quick.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The front o2 senors where spliced when we installed my headers. They are not the true o2 extensions. Maybe this could be an issue. Will a scan tool tell me anything about whats wrong? Its running so rich that little black sooty flakes come out when it idles. It all came on pretty quick.
Any codes showing?
A scan tool that can read real time data can show if the o2's are oscillating with the full operating range.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the stock fuel injectors out of my 02 SS. $30 and come pick them up?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

There you go man ^^^, pretty cheap.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You really need to scan it before you start throwing parts at it. It can get real expensive real fast if you don't know whats worng and you keep guessing. I have Tech 2 and would scan it for you if you want to make the drive to my house in Lake Elsinore. LMK
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

I agree I do need to scan it. When I have a chance I may give you a call so you can run a scan on my car. My buddy has a scan tool so Ill see if I can use his.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

What are the best and replacement O2 sensors to by when you have headers?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

What are the best and replacement O2 sensors to by when you have headers?
Stock.

Quick Reply: WTB: Fuel Pump & Injectors for 99 LS1 Camaro