Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Anyone know third gens (TPI)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone know third gens (TPI)?

Friend has an 88 trans-turd-AM with a 305 TPI, he was given the car years ago. The car had been sitting for years but had run fine when parked.

When he got it the fuel pump was dead, so we fixed that got the car running and it runs like crap. Also the fan never comes on so it will overheat if you let it run too long (guess just the fan switch). Put a scanner on it and nothing was terribly obvious, it did have some code for MAF burn-off or something, but the MAF frequency seemed to change accordingly to airflow so not sure it's a problem. Coolant temp sensor was working, TPS working fine etc etc.

Checked the basics, fuel pressures good, powerbalance shows all cylinders working equally. Hesitates badly when snapping the throttle, when it's dead cold it's almost impossible to get started without some help with carb cleaner down the throttle body. Idles rough, runs rough, pops out of the exhaust sometimes etc. The other thing is it seems to change randomly, one time it actually ran ok, parked it and started it up months later and ran like crap. Seems to have deteriorated, now it runs just terrible.

This kind of led me to believe a bad ECU or something (maybe leaking caps) so we got a cheap one out of the junkyard and no change. I guess my next suspect is the injectors, maybe the old fuel when it was sitting gunked up the injectors, but still not sure why it ran ok that one time. I guess it could have a bad MAF but seemed to be reading OK when I had the scanner on it. Does anyone in the socal area have a spare MAF we can swap on for kicks?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

maybe a clogged cat
Old 03-20-2011, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

It might be the injectors that got clogged, or might even be your cap,rotor wire set, my car ran like **** when I had some accel wires and changed to msd and ran better, prob even be the map sensor.

That's the problem with those cars one thing goes wrong about everything will go wrong
Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Go on thirdgen.org they might. Have a lot more helpful input
Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

maybe an underlying vacuum leak too, as well as the other suggestions.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

go to the so-cal forums start a tread for dyno don he'll help you
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what u are saying I see maybe a bad EGR. Test out the EGR, add vaccum to it while the car idles. If it dies or stumbles then the EGR is fine. If it doesn't the EGR is bad. Also if the PCM was bad it wouldn't run. PCM either works or it doesn't. Also what fuel pump did u use? If it isn't factory it can be very possible that it will run like crap. It's happened to me. I bought a holly and about 2 weeks later it ran like crap and pump cried out loud when it was hot and backfired like crazy. Put in an AC Delco pump and it's been running great ever since. if u need more help PM me.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

I thought about the EGR, will be testing it next time. It is definitely suspect considering the conditions. I seem to recall doing it before though and finding it was ok. PCMs can be bad and still work, look up leaking caps and bad injector drivers.

Fuel pump is fine, fuel pressure is right where it's supposed to be.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is fuel volume fine too? U can have good pressure but not enough volume. And i've never ever seen a bad PCM actually work.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably cause other DTC's but not act like if they have drivibility issues.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

im guessing bad fuel filter and/or injectors (stock tpi injectors are known to clog) go to the junk yard and get some stock v8 ford injectors. theyre soo much better then the stock tpi ones.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPD_Vette84
im guessing bad fuel filter and/or injectors (stock tpi injectors are known to clog) go to the junk yard and get some stock v8 ford injectors. theyre soo much better then the stock tpi ones.
Why is that?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

the gm injectors spray a single jet where as the fords have 3 jets. lemme see if i can find a pic
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

cant find a pic but i just did this swap on my buddies volvo with a tpi in it. also the ford injectors flow more at the tpi fuel pressure.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know they flow more. I didn't know about the jet spray. But this would make your car run richer. I don't thinks that a good idea unless u are getting a better cam. Stock TPI will run pretty rich. I've had stock injectors in for years without problems. It's just how u take care of them I guess.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

i just know its a usual swap for 3rd gen guys. they have no issues. if my car didnt have aftermarket injectors id swap to the ford injectors.

Quick Reply: Anyone know third gens (TPI)?