Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Did the GM Main Street test drive event

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the GM Main Street test drive event

I went on Sunday. It was awesome. They had the typical GM cars there plus they had 2011 Corvette GC convertible and hard top. They also had 2011 Camaro SS and RS.

Corvette was just awesome. I think thats what I want now when I get my new fun car. Itll be about a year, but im pretty sure now. The GS with its brembos had touchy brakes. Im more of a fan of the standard brakes.

Camaro SS was ok, but not worth it considering you can buy a used C6 for $30-35k.

Camaro RS was cool but more of a commuter car. it handled pretty good but took a while to get the motor wound up.

Volt was much better than a prius (no prius there). It is smooth, but not too smooth. decent acceleration for a lame hybrid. (dont tell me its not a hybrid, the gas motor DOES power the wheels)

Silverado 2500 HD was very nice. nicer than any truck ive ever driven.

Buick Regal turbo had a nice interior but took way too long to spool the turbo. It needs a v6 turbo.

Of the non-GMs there, i really liked the 2011 Maxima. The Explorer was garbage (just a revised version of my old Taurus X). Finally found a chance to drive the Honda Ridgeline ("truck"). OMG that thing belongs at the bottom of a lake!!!

Did anyone else go?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wanted to but i completely forgot about it
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I signed up to go, but ended up working on my car in the desert instead.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went. My dumbass forgot my license at home and couldn't drive any. I rode passenger I really like the tahoe hybrid. Didn't get a chance to ride the volt but it's pretty cool. The cruise RS was nice and smooth too. Did u see that the 2500hd had a check engine light? Lol
Old 04-14-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

there were two 2500 HDs, the one i drove didnt have a light.

When I got into the explorer the jackass who was in it before me left it with the heater on high (85 degree) and rap blasting at its highest volume. took me a bucket of sweat to figure out the climate controls and volume (not straight forward at all).
Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

I went to the last two, it was pretty fun. Camaro wasnt fun to drive.Vette was a blast!(got to go twice)And the Volt ISNT a hybrid...
Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by m6ttop
I went to the last two, it was pretty fun. Camaro wasnt fun to drive.Vette was a blast!(got to go twice)And the Volt ISNT a hybrid...
GM claims it isnt, but if you look at how it works, there are scenarios where the gas motor directly drives the wheels. The original info said that the gas motor does not directly drive the wheels, that was a lie.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

i went last weekend when it was here in AZ, i agree the GS is a blast to drive, and the camaro just isnt my taste. It was a pretty cool event
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Teching In

I went to the AZ one. The 2500 HD was awesome, wish I was able to afford one.

The Camaro SS was cool but I couldnt see myself buying one.

I really liked the Corvette, sick handling and I noticed that the brakes were very touchy.

I really liked the Acura TL, very nice interior and you could tell it had good power for what it was. I would love to have one as a daily driver.

I hated the Buick turbo Regal. I didnt care for the interior and its power was pretty much non existent.

I had fun beating the crap out of all the trucks.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did they have to warn you guys that this was a "test drive event" and not a "race track"? apparently they didnt like me sliding around the corners. As I say, any car can drive nice at 10 mph, its only the good ones that will drive well at 30 mph on a 10 mph track.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Teching In

^^^^ They did tell my friend to stop brake torquing.lol Other then that they didnt care about us getting sideways around corners. To me "test drive" means pushing that car to its limits. I mean beating on the sports cars and trucks has to be expected but I guess I probably went a little overboard on the family sedans and such.lol