Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

You never know whats going to happen when you go out....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee. This test is very simple from how I seen it in person. I go in in the station. I park. CHP cop comes out says ok let me see your ticket. I show it to him. then he says ok start it up. Ill start it up, then hell say rev it a bit, and if its super quiet all hell say is ok turn it off and pass me. thats what they do. They did that to my friends 35th LE.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an experience a few months back (similar first ticket was for LM1 second was with dumped) for the LM1 it was just the cat-back 2 days after I purchased it. Failed the test..put the stock back on....passed...went about my day...

Second was JBA shorties-High Flow cats 3" y-pipe, Power stick....put the stock cat-back...failed....got an extension...stock cat-back stock y-pipe stock cats...passed...

just an example..first ticket was $235 second was $389..why the diff..I don't know.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
Lee. This test is very simple from how I seen it in person. I go in in the station. I park. CHP cop comes out says ok let me see your ticket. I show it to him. then he says ok start it up. Ill start it up, then hell say rev it a bit, and if its super quiet all hell say is ok turn it off and pass me. thats what they do. They did that to my friends 35th LE.
Then that is not legal then what that CHP officer did, or your friend got a different ticket. A modified exhaust ticket requires a BAR referee inspection.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

I got a modified ticket buy a chp. I didn't tell him about the cutout at the time closed to cutout and took it to the chp station he listened to it and signed off. Then I took the ticket to the court house to pay the fee
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
I got a modified ticket buy a chp. I didn't tell him about the cutout at the time closed to cutout and took it to the chp station he listened to it and signed off. Then I took the ticket to the court house to pay the fee
thats what they did to my friend.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I manage to avoid cops because they can't catch me...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Man I feel sorry for yall. I am in Santa Maria, Ca for work and thought I would get on and see if anything is going on around here. I am from Ft worth, Tx and exhaust isnt an issue other than emissions in certain counties, not all. The county I live in is just a regular inspection. Check blinkers, lights, wiper, etc. Pay 12.50 and go about your buisiness. I guess yall can move to Texas lol
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenalineaddiction
Man I feel sorry for yall. I am in Santa Maria, Ca for work and thought I would get on and see if anything is going on around here. I am from Ft worth, Tx and exhaust isnt an issue other than emissions in certain counties, not all. The county I live in is just a regular inspection. Check blinkers, lights, wiper, etc. Pay 12.50 and go about your buisiness. I guess yall can move to Texas lol
You can get exhaust tickets even in Texas. Texas Transporation Code states: "A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.". The key terms here are "excessive" or "unusual", which is up to an officers (and the courts) discretion. Also, this is a ticket, not a regularly scheduled inspection. We don't have any safety inspections here, just bi-annual emissions testing.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bad luck man. Drove around with LT's, ORY, and an open cutout for over 2 years and never got **** for it. Even when I was pulled over they just never asked or checked.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a hassle but putting the stock **** is probably the best way to get it resolved being a sure thing.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now you know why I ditched mine, TDs with good mufflers all the way. Mine made a huge difference
Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
^^^^ And yes that is exactly what they do. My bro had a ticket for his exhaust only cobra and they didn't pass him
Old 05-11-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
^^^^ And yes that is exactly what they do. My bro had a ticket for his exhaust only cobra and they didn't pass him
I saw it in person man so I dont know. Im speaking from what I experienced when I went with my friend to get his modified exhaust checked at the Santa Monica Court.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Now you know why I ditched mine, TDs with good mufflers all the way. Mine made a huge difference
Yea, Now I Know....

Quick Reply: You never know whats going to happen when you go out....