Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

What's the LS1 real power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a magazine article that stated how the F body LS1 was under rated to not have more hp than the flagship Vette. I'm trying to find it online right now, but can't find it. I'll post it if I do.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock...A4
320hp
345tq
Old 08-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by C5natie
Not really. That's a good difference in gearing, off the line it would make a difference and the vette would have a good gap to have to cover. Even a lighter car could have a hard time catching up because the hp difference is not that big. A car in it's power band can be hard to catch. That's why cars that will get blown off the line always wanna roll race or fwy race, lol. Up to speed the extra trq and aerodynamics of the vette would help it but they are more designed for top speed sports car performance.
I know it's not really related to this thread, but while we are on the topic of gears I have another question. I have an '01 Z28, and am not sure of the gearing. I'm presuming since it's the Z28 and not the SS that I must have 2.73 gears, and the SS gets the 3.23. Still though, off the line acceleration in my car feels pretty strong. But then again, I have never driven an LS1 SS.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I know it's not really related to this thread, but while we are on the topic of gears I have another question. I have an '01 Z28, and am not sure of the gearing. I'm presuming since it's the Z28 and not the SS that I must have 2.73 gears, and the SS gets the 3.23. Still though, off the line acceleration in my car feels pretty strong. But then again, I have never driven an LS1 SS.
look at the codes inside the drivers door and search for it on here. You can have 2.73 or 3.23.

Track times can be as BS as dyno numbers. on the track the same car can vary by several tenths depending on driver. Not to mention tires, tranny type, and clutch type.

Also, the corvette vs f-body, the LS1 had different intakes, cams and heads depending on year.

I dont think you can pin a single value to what the LS1 put out. I think it is safe to say that the 97 LS1 put out less hp than the 2004 LS1 .
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

My 99 did 330rwhp with a lid & cutout with like 28,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Dan; 08-02-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

The main difference between a LS1 Camaro and Vette is the cam. This is what was told to me by the F- Bodfather a few years ago. He said the 2000 SS spanked the Vette during testing. The Camaro was immediately de-tuned with a smaller cam.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast01z28
Track times can be as BS as dyno numbers. on the track the same car can vary by several tenths depending on driver. Not to mention tires, tranny type, and clutch type.
True but to go with what we are talking about, not really. A good driver cant make it go "faster" but as fast as it can go. A particular car can only go so fast in the most perfect of conditions. A car with slicks that lets say hooks perfect will run closest according to the power its making so taking it weight, speed and et is a good way to determine power. Tranny type and clutch type affect power output to the wheels so of course it will affect times, but we are talking about a stock car. A stock car that hooks with slicks will be a good way to determine stock power. Using a DA correction will but all et times on an even playing field.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

BTW F-Bodies transfer weight to the rear wheels on a launch much better than vettes thanks to their softer stock suspension. That can make a good difference. Also things like active handling and torque management plays a big role on a stock untuned ecu. I thought I read once an article saying how the C5s had more agressive torque management, it killed more timing, since the transaxle/torque tube transfers power more efficiently this helped the rears survive. Thats another reason why stock A4s on C5s take dumps faster and the axles snap with decent power if you hook.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So basically there isn't a real crank spec for ls1's other then the underrated 320/325. And they are all over the place
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C5natie
True but to go with what we are talking about, not really. A good driver cant make it go "faster" but as fast as it can go. A particular car can only go so fast in the most perfect of conditions. A car with slicks that lets say hooks perfect will run closest according to the power its making so taking it weight, speed and et is a good way to determine power. Tranny type and clutch type affect power output to the wheels so of course it will affect times, but we are talking about a stock car. A stock car that hooks with slicks will be a good way to determine stock power. Using a DA correction will but all et times on an even playing field.
your second post affirms what I am saying...an ET doesnt say everything about how fast the motor is, and it in no way gives you a HP rating. It is as useful as a dyno. It might not give you a definitive accurate number, but it gives you a means to compare multiple vehicles at a given time.

Going back to variations on track times, Ive driven on cooler days with great track prep versus warmer days with crappy prep. should be similar DA but would yield different times all other things the same.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Also have to remember the Corvettes IRS eats up more power than the piddly little 10bolt we get.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fast01z28
your second post affirms what I am saying...an ET doesnt say everything about how fast the motor is, and it in no way gives you a HP rating. It is as useful as a dyno. It might not give you a definitive accurate number, but it gives you a means to compare multiple vehicles at a given time.

Going back to variations on track times, Ive driven on cooler days with great track prep versus warmer days with crappy prep. should be similar DA but would yield different times all other things the same.
It my opinion that ET along with MPH and the weight of the vehicle give you a very close estimate to the HP of a given car. A dyno doesnt put the same load on a motor as a track or road. DA correction corrects differences in altitude and weather. This allows times to be seen as if they were ran in perfect conditions. The one thing that it cant account for is tire slippage from crappy track prep but you might find that on slower (ET) times you might have a bit more mph since the car has more time to accelerate...sometimes. Dynos are a tuning tool. Real race teams calculate hp based on times since the road or a track load up the motor differently. In that way track times can be a better indicator of hp vs a dyno. Then again Im speaking of the hp a motor is making on a specific vehicle. The only way to really solve the question would be to take a stock motor out of a Camaro and put it on an engine dyno and see what the engine itself does. Other than that dynos and track times will be estimates with variables.

These links may be helpful,
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php

http://www.dragtimes.com/horsepower-...calculator.php

Last edited by C5natie; 08-03-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Since all LS1 have been touched by the hand of God, it is kinda hard to project the power output these engines produce. It all depends on what kind of mood God was in when he touched these engines.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ur jlus
The main difference between a LS1 Camaro and Vette is the cam. This is what was told to me by the F- Bodfather a few years ago. He said the 2000 SS spanked the Vette during testing. The Camaro was immediately de-tuned with a smaller cam.
no.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ur jlus
The 2000 Camaro SS spanked the Vette? No...it was about .3-.4 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile. In 2001 the Camaro did receive the LQ4 cam, along with a lot of other engine upgrades, new injectors, the LS6 manifold intake, etc. that resulted in a 5HP and 5lb/ft of torque increase for the 2001 and 2002 LS1's, even the Vette LS1's got this same treatment.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

found this on urban dictionary!! lol
"The most powerful engine there is. It is extremely underated, and can produce massive amounts of power.
people think the Earth spins because of gravitational forces....completely wrong......there is an LS1 in the core of the planet that is causing the spin....a few have been put in space to move the planets around the sun too"
Old 08-03-2011, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My car did 315/330 corrected with lid and gutted cats w/stock exhaust through a 4L60E right after the LS1 swap. Before the lid, it dynoed a corrected 305/319 on a completely different dyno, in a completely different DA.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 98 made 346 and 344 tq with k&n fipk,ls6, bbk80mm, lts, no cats and borla xr-1 at cms
Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
The 2000 Camaro SS spanked the Vette? No...it was about .3-.4 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile.
Actually it spanked the Corvette around Laguna Seca.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Actually it spanked the Corvette around Laguna Seca.
That's ******* hilarious if it's true. Link?

Quick Reply: What's the LS1 real power?