Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

New to California from TX. Smog?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to California from TX. Smog?

Hey guys, new to the Sacramento area, currently looking to start something here with the kiddos. Anyways I was having my car fixed before I left Texas and want to pick y'alls brains on some things. I was thinking of flying back and selling it because it seems the smog thing here is big. But I'm curios if there may be options? Friendly inspection shop?

The car is an 05 CTS-V with an LQ4, LS3 heads, cammed, bolt ons, and 3inch to dual flowmasters. It should be getting tuned next week hopefully.

On another note, do you guys get together in the area? Car meets or get togethers?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not much u can do, unless u going to live in a county that doesnt have smog. and also having a friendly smog tech
Old 12-23-2014, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what multiple smog guys told me, just sell the car. I recently renewed my registration and no one wanted to pass my car. Luckily I only had exhaust work and no engine mods so I went back to stock. Some will work with you if you have the stock exhaust on it. It's just going to keep getting more and more strict here
Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Honesty i would just find to pay to pass it. that's what i usually do every two years. I rather pay $150-$200 for a crooked pass then to turn the engine back to stock .
Old 12-24-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its getting really hard to find a generous smog shop. all these star smogs are getting closely monitored by the bar
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Teching In

I'm sorry you chose to move to Cali,***** expensive around here.dnt fart or you will get charged or taxed..good luck and have fun I can't wait to get back to Texas..
Old 12-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gixer600
I'm sorry you chose to move to Cali,***** expensive around here.dnt fart or you will get charged or taxed..good luck and have fun I can't wait to get back to Texas..
I've found that out during the little time here. And it explains why the car scene is **** here too.

I was toying with the idea of having the car registered in Texas, and enjoy it while it last. I wonder how long I can get away with saying I'm just visiting.

If anyone knows of a friendly tech, please feel free to shoot me a pm

Last edited by david76008; 01-01-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by david76008
I've found that out during the little time here. And it explains why the car scene is **** here too.

I was toying with the idea of having the car registered in Texas, and enjoy it while it last. I wonder how long I can get away with saying I'm just vising.

If anyone knows of a friendly tech, please feel free to shoot me a pm
leave it reg in texas do you own any property in tx? or family does?
Old 01-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by racerfox
leave it reg in texas do you own any property in tx? or family does?
My parents address which has always been my mailing.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Launching!

My parents address which has always been my mailing.
then leave it there and keep your TX DL any contact with LEO Tell them your on business here for a job interview. and thats all
Old 01-02-2015, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Leave Commiefornia.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys I'm moving to Cali from Wisconsin in 6 months. Since my cars registered here will I be alright out there? What happens when I'm due for emissions?
Its also a bit loud lol wondering how the cops will feel about it, here's an idle video.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cammed ls1 that I drive daily. haven't got pulled over once. My car is not as loud as yours tho
Old 02-09-2015, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MR WESST 02
Hey guys I'm moving to Cali from Wisconsin in 6 months. Since my cars registered here will I be alright out there? What happens when I'm due for emissions?
Its also a bit loud lol wondering how the cops will feel about it, here's an idle video.
How to **** off your neighbors: Cammed LS1 spring start - YouTube
Are you willing to jump through hoops and even consider selling your car?
Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SM105K
Are you willing to jump through hoops and even consider selling your car?
Probably not lol. Maybe one of my roomates out there but it sounds like a pain in the dick. Ive seen a few people say if you know a shop that will pass you if you throw them extra cash..but idk.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not going to be the case anymore without the stock exhaust on. They have checkpoints here to test emissions like dui's. I asked around and it's only going to get more strict in the Los Angeles area. Supposedly hybrids and motorcycles are going to start getting tested in the future. Random people are going to be getting mail requiring them to take their cars to get inspected
Old 03-04-2015, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, new to the Sacramento area, currently looking to start something here with the kiddos. Anyways I was having my car fixed before I left Texas and want to pick y'alls brains on some things. I was thinking of flying back and selling it because it seems the smog thing here is big. But I'm curios if there may be options? Friendly inspection shop?

The car is an 05 CTS-V with an LQ4, LS3 heads, cammed, bolt ons, and 3inch to dual flowmasters. It should be getting tuned next week hopefully.

On another note, do you guys get together in the area? Car meets or get togethers?
Long time Sacramento resident here. But only recently back in the GM/Camaro scene... Haven't met up with any other local enthusiasts yet.

Smog here does suck. I've always found I have the best luck using shops with a "No Pass, No Pay" policy. If the car can pass the sniffer, it is in the shops best interest to just ignore the visual so they can pass you and get paid. Otherwise, you just wasted a half hour of their time for free.

As others have said, if you can keep the car registered in Texas, you'd be better off.

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
That's not going to be the case anymore without the stock exhaust on. They have checkpoints here to test emissions like dui's. I asked around and it's only going to get more strict in the Los Angeles area. Supposedly hybrids and motorcycles are going to start getting tested in the future. Random people are going to be getting mail requiring them to take their cars to get inspected
Those Smog checkpoints are voluntary. You can refuse to be tested. The only downside: if you notice, those checkpoints usually have a LEO there... Sometimes they will have a buddy a couple blocks up the street, and when a clearly illegally modified car refuses to test, the on-site LEO will radio his buddy up the road with a description and plate number, who will then pull you over and inspect for mods, and write you a ref ticket.

Quick Reply: New to California from TX. Smog?