Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Who's familiar with the southern portion of HW1? (C7 Conv. + HWY1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's familiar with the southern portion of HW1? (C7 Conv. + HWY1)

Planning to rent a C7 convertible in May, leaving out of LA at 9am and staying a night in Santa Barbara. Are there any good roads I need to make sure I hit? I'm willing to travel North of Santa Barbara, as long as I make it back by 7pm for dinner, where I will probably be popping the big question.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

You can try some of the lake roads, like Catchuma, but that's decently north. PCH is cool to cruise.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you looking for a cruise and a view or do you want to exercise that C7 around a few corners?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd really like to push the limits of the C7, but I'm sure she'll want to take the scenic route...a bit of both would be nice
Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by L$X$10
I'd really like to push the limits of the C7, but I'm sure she'll want to take the scenic route...a bit of both would be nice
Who's familiar with the southern portion of HW1? (C7 Conv. + HWY1)-ibn4ooc.png

This loop (starting at the northern point) takes you from PCH in Malibu down through Malibu Canyon, then back up into the mountains with an excellent view of the ocean below, plus Malibu from above, then takes you down the mountain via a one-way that's well known for its smooth road surface and nicely banked corners.

There are many others to see if this is too long or if you desire something a little straighter.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Watch out for police and check on construction, they are always working on something.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fruitsalad

This loop (starting at the northern point) takes you from PCH in Malibu down through Malibu Canyon, then back up into the mountains with an excellent view of the ocean below, plus Malibu from above, then takes you down the mountain via a one-way that's well known for its smooth road surface and nicely banked corners.

There are many others to see if this is too long or if you desire something a little straighter.
Thanks for the suggested route. I will definitely be taking it. I started playing around with some additional detours via Google Earth. I'm starting to really get excited about this trip!

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
Watch out for police and check on construction, they are always working on something.
Will do. Hopefully, they aren't as bad as the cops here in GA. They are everywhere, hiding in every good spot.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I might add there are usually officers patrolling there as they know it is popular with car nuts like us. Also take note they are actually there for a reason, to save your life: the cliffs, something happens, then blam, off the road you go, falling and rolling. Just take note that the sides of the road are usually steep hills. Heck back 40+ years ago Pt Mugu, had a road that circled around a cliff. Many people went off the road, dropping the 10-15 feet to the cold ocean below. It was such a problem, they blasted a new path for the road, thus creating Pt. Mugu Rock as we know it today

Also take note: towards the end of the southern portion of Hwy1, the Springs fire from May 2013 caused several landslides this past winter, closing it for over 1 month. They made sections with 1 lane in direction of travel and jersey barrier with fencing. Beware of falling rock. I at least go to Neptune's, twice a month for lunch from work.

Also note that around noon, during the week, around Pt. mugu they can cause delays to traffic due to filming.

My favorite section is central california from north of Morro Bay, elephant seal beach, to Monterrey. 100 miles of twisties
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhode Island Red
I might add there are usually officers patrolling there as they know it is popular with car nuts like us. Also take note they are actually there for a reason, to save your life: the cliffs, something happens, then blam, off the road you go, falling and rolling. Just take note that the sides of the road are usually steep hills. Heck back 40+ years ago Pt Mugu, had a road that circled around a cliff. Many people went off the road, dropping the 10-15 feet to the cold ocean below. It was such a problem, they blasted a new path for the road, thus creating Pt. Mugu Rock as we know it today

Also take note: towards the end of the southern portion of Hwy1, the Springs fire from May 2013 caused several landslides this past winter, closing it for over 1 month. They made sections with 1 lane in direction of travel and jersey barrier with fencing. Beware of falling rock. I at least go to Neptune's, twice a month for lunch from work.

Also note that around noon, during the week, around Pt. mugu they can cause delays to traffic due to filming.

My favorite section is central california from north of Morro Bay, elephant seal beach, to Monterrey. 100 miles of twisties
Thank you for the heads up on things to look out for. I will definitely keep that in mind, and try my best to take it easy.

And I wish I had enough time to head that far North! Looks like a fun route!

Does anyone know of any remarkable scenic vantage points to stop at along the way or near my route from LA to Santa Barbara? I'm thinking about having the GoPro mounted on the vette, taking pictures at 2 second intervals, and I pull of the road and get out to propose with everything being captured.

Quick Reply: Who's familiar with the southern portion of HW1? (C7 Conv. + HWY1)