Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

best tuner in SO CAL A&A L.A.P.D.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best tuner in SO CAL A&A L.A.P.D.

Need a tuner in so ca GEN 111, A&A Just to name a few. I have heard some bad things. I just dont want to get screwed. Any body had good results let me know please.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part of SoCal are you in? Isnt HP Tuners based out of Santa Calrita? Do they do tuning? I'd like to know this as well. You might also try asking around on the tuner boards and HPTuners.com'd forum. I'm interested in this as well.

David
Old 05-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
What part of SoCal are you in? Isnt HP Tuners based out of Santa Calrita? Do they do tuning? I'd like to know this as well. You might also try asking around on the tuner boards and HPTuners.com'd forum. I'm interested in this as well.

David
HP Tuners do not do tuneing. As far as I know. They sell the soft ware.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

A&A all the way. Awesome customer service, extremely knowledgeable, clean @ss shop. If you decide to go there, take a video camera. I regret not taking one. The cars he's got there are 2nd to none.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ken from hptuners is based in valencia, but hard to get him to tune ya if he would at all. they are very busy making there programs to help someone tune there car. i would say A & A. they seem to be very reputable.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

A & A where is it located?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

a & a is in oxnard, strictly is in van nuys

Last edited by bmfcamaro; 12-06-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

... and HPTuners is --->
Old 05-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
Give Rob Barth a call at Strictly Performance, he uses HPTuners and sometimes Ken comes along for the tunes. Ken@HPTuners took some time off from his very busy schedule to tune our Z28 on a DynaPack dyno.

Ken doesn't do tuning, but he has been helping Rob get started with tuning via HPTuners. Rob currently has sources to tune DFI, LS1-Edit and many more!

]
I left a message with Rob no call back yet. I dont have a race car. Its a bolt on only making 345/357 at A&A. At $400.00 Andy did not think I would gain much. What do you think? I hear some bad /good stuff about L.A.P.D. GEN III is about $250.00. Does any body use them? Looking forward to your responce.

Last edited by jrp; 12-03-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

True, you won't gain much on the peak numbers, but it really depends on your mods and the spec of your car? What can be tuned is part throttle and over all driveability. What year is your car again? The cars that see a big difference are those running on an OE tune, but have chaged a lot of things to their setup (heads/cam/intake/etc.).

I'd say just find someone with HPTuners near you that would be willing to log your car and finetune your part throttle driving.

Last edited by Flame Throwing SS; 05-19-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Launching!

True, you won't gain much on the peak numbers, but it really depends on your mods and the spec of your car? What can be tuned is part throttle and over all driveability. What year is your car again? The cars that see a big difference are those running on an OE tune, but have chaged a lot of things to their setup (heads/cam/intake/etc.).

I'd say just find someone with HPTuners near you that would be willing to log your car and finetune your part throttle driving.
I am in north O.C. Car is stock 02 camero SS with a few bolt ons LT'S, lid,T/B,cat back,pulley, Diablosport programmer. I was told that it was a waste of $ 420.00
Old 05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Realistically, your Diablo should be able to dail in your setup, that is if you plan on no more mods. You can get "custom" tunes and download them from their site "tailored" to your specs. Do you drag race it at all, or road race/auto-x with it, do you street race with it, or just "enjoy it"?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Realistically, your Diablo should be able to dail in your setup, that is if you plan on no more mods. You can get "custom" tunes and download them from their site "tailored" to your specs. Do you drag race it at all, or road race/auto-x with it, do you street race with it, or just "enjoy it"?
So on a bolt on car HP tuners on a dyno would not be much of a avantage over the Diablo? Its good for reading codes
Old 05-19-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

In capable hands, tuning software is always better than a handheld programmer. It seems your are willing to spend the money regardless. If so, then just purchase HPTuners and tune the car yourself at your own pace and for the enviroment your drive in. Sell that Diablo and recoupe some cash back for HPTuners. All you need is a laptop and you are set! The point I was trying to make was that on a dyno (dynojet or mustang) the tuner will only be able to tune you WOT performance, and with the slight mods you have it wouldn't be worth it. Unless you have serious driveability issues. Now if the tuner is going to tune on a load based dyno (dynapack), and are willing to tune every aspect of your engine (based on load and rpms), then it is worth it. HPTuners is a great software package that will help out if you are stock or extremely modified, if you are willing to do it yourself. You can log the vehicles actions at any time you desire to keep an eye on your tune. I have tuned my factory stock 1999 Sierra truck, my mildly mod'ed 2001 Camaro SS, and tweaked a lot of things on our 1998 Camaro Z28 race car.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Launching!

In capable hands, tuning software is always better than a handheld programmer. It seems your are willing to spend the money regardless. If so, then just purchase HPTuners and tune the car yourself at your own pace and for the enviroment your drive in. Sell that Diablo and recoupe some cash back for HPTuners. All you need is a laptop and you are set! The point I was trying to make was that on a dyno (dynojet or mustang) the tuner will only be able to tune you WOT performance, and with the slight mods you have it wouldn't be worth it. Unless you have serious driveability issues. Now if the tuner is going to tune on a load based dyno (dynapack), and are willing to tune every aspect of your engine (based on load and rpms), then it is worth it. HPTuners is a great software package that will help out if you are stock or extremely modified, if you are willing to do it yourself. You can log the vehicles actions at any time you desire to keep an eye on your tune. I have tuned my factory stock 1999 Sierra truck, my mildly mod'ed 2001 Camaro SS, and tweaked a lot of things on our 1998 Camaro Z28 race car.

What are you trying to accomplish?
What am I trying to accomplish? I guess trying to get the last bit of performance I can get without more mods. I have no driveability issues. I have tryed to play with the dialbo but I dont know what I am doing. Just looking for a (pro) so I know that it is the best I can do for now. Maybe I am going down the wrong path. I am understanding that the dialbo is not that good. But if it is as close as you say it is maybe I should live with it or try a custom tune from them. I have heard some bad stuff about them. Do you think Rob could help or just tell me the same thing. Thank you again.

Last edited by slow ride; 05-19-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Rob would be more than willing to help tune your car, give him a call.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Andy at A&A is a great guy an awesome tuner. give him a call he'll do you right.

Tom
Old 05-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slow ride
Need a tuner in so ca GEN 111, A&A Just to name a few. I have heard some bad things. I just dont want to get screwed. Any body had good results let me know please.

I agree about giving Rob a call over at Strictly Performance. My car is there right now. I think I'm going to be able to pick it up either Tuesday or Wednesday. I believe that Monday my car goes to the dyno for the tune.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vilkata
I agree about giving Rob a call over at Strictly Performance. My car is there right now. I think I'm going to be able to pick it up either Tuesday or Wednesday. I believe that Monday my car goes to the dyno for the tune.
$500.00 for a tune. Maybe I should think a bout some heads first before a tune.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slow ride
$500.00 for a tune. Maybe I should think a bout some heads first before a tune.
Rob has/does complete head/cam packages as well.

Quick Reply: best tuner in SO CAL A&A L.A.P.D.