Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Forced Smog Checks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, this is pretty insane. Although I am sure that they cannot force you to do the check.

What if this makes me late for work and I get fired...lawsuits will come and it will end this kind of ****.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Well gentlemen, go where you want to go just don't Kalifornicate Arizona. There's enough of us here already (BTW, I moved here from the South Bay 3 years ago).
Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z-Convert
Well gentlemen, go where you want to go just don't Kalifornicate Arizona. There's enough of us here already (BTW, I moved here from the South Bay 3 years ago).
So how is the job scene out there AZ has always been one of my top "other" places to live in the US (it's still the good 'ole west).
Old 04-21-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chp's website says that they're strictly for survey use only and they cannot force you to do the test, that doesn't mean they can't pop you a block down the way for underinflated tires, too bright headlights, loud stereo, or other such serious infractions...
Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
chp's website says that they're strictly for survey use only and they cannot force you to do the test, that doesn't mean they can't pop you a block down the way for underinflated tires, too bright headlights, loud stereo, or other such serious infractions...

Survey use by butt! What happens if you fail the test miserably? Does it change from a survey, to a trip to the ref?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

probably... just like those remote emissions testers that are on roadsides that use laser beams to measure your pollution. "survey use only" however they also incorporate a camera to snap a shot of your license plate for survey use, ah and they also measure your speed... if I were to ever become a rapist/murderer/illegal alien now would be the time because there'd be 47 of my city's peace officers fumbling around with a smog tester at any one time.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just like for random searches of my vehicle, I'd not submit to anything, then have my day in court.

As for pulling me over down the road because I did not submit to the "survey-use only" tests and now they are going to get me for lights, no front plate, sound, etc., then I'll challenge how voluntary the testing is, if their action was retaliatory, and if they overstepped their boundaries.

Better yet, next time I see one set-up, I'll look for a local convenience store to knock-off.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Evaporate
So how is the job scene out there AZ has always been one of my top "other" places to live in the US (it's still the good 'ole west).
I moved here because the company I was working for got bought out by the company I now work for in Tempe. I was the only one they offered a job to (Being that I'm the engineer I'm the only one who knew the product backwards and forwards + I do all the machine programming).They offered me a pay increase and relocation assistance so I was all over it like a flea on a dog.

It's not as much "Old West" as you'd think, at least not in the Phoenix metropolitan area. It's kinda like LA with a bunch of suburbs only on a smaller scale. Suburban Phoenix goes about 70 miles west to east and about 50 miles north to south.

As far as jobs go I really don't know. Had this one waiting when I arrived and haven't had to look for one since.

It is nice having a more relaxed attitude towards pollution controls on cars. Having Firebird Intl Raceway pretty much in my backyard (10 minute drive away) is cool too. Friday night drags make it easy to test the car (when it isn't being overrun by 17 sec ricers in momma's 4 door Honda )
Old 04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

My buddy up in Edmonton, Cananda used to tell me about the photo radar speed traps up there. It would just be some beater truck with a camper shell or a van on the side of the freeway. You speed along past it and notice a flash. A few days later you get a speeding ticket in the mail. He used to tell me that everyone hated it so much that the radio stations would announce their locations along with the traffic report.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, you guys over react to things unknown. Here is the truth about these mobile smog checks, and what Wicked94Z posted from the CHP website is absolutely true!

Having personal experience with this ... do not worry about your car being impounded or being fined. Back in 1999 I was "asked" (waved in by a CHP unit on the side of the road) to participate in this mobile smog check. My vehicle at the time was a 1984 Camaro Z28, no smog at all, no cat, and illegal headers. They put my car on the rollers and after a couple of minutes they gave me a copy of the results. So while they tested my car, I asked the CHP officer there some questions. He told me it is entirely voluntary and they can not legally hold you and have you take the test. The results will not be used to label the vehicle as a gross polluter, DMV doesn't even get the findings. So I asked the technician about this test. He said he was with the EPA (and ARB) and they are collecting data to setup emissions regulations for new vehicles, at that time they were focusing on model year 2006. He couldn't tell me why I failed, but guessed it had to do with the emissions equipment missing. He gave me a copy of the report and suggested what I can do to bring this vehicle up to standards. It only took about 10 minutes total.

The other time I experienced this was in 2000, but I was late to work and they let me proceed to work.

Those have been my experiences with mobile emissions test locations, other persons only "claim" to "know a person" who has been "fined".
Old 04-21-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

You didn't find it odd that they tested and collected data on an '84 car in '99 to setup emissions regulations for '06? My response would have been "Now that you're done blowing smoke, why don't you try telling the truth."

Additionally, the DMV has a much larger database from which this info could be pulled IF this was their true intention.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

this **** is gettin gayer by the day.... **** california and their hippie *** smog laws!!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
You didn't find it odd that they tested and collected data on an '84 car in '99 to setup emissions regulations for '06? My response would have been "Now that you're done blowing smoke, why don't you try telling the truth."

Additionally, the DMV has a much larger database from which this info could be pulled IF this was their true intention.
No, not at all. They know that many cars on the roads do not actually take the smog test, hence why they crack down on illegal smog stations which take bribes to falsify tests. This is pretty much the only way DMV, EPA and CARB can actually get true data from actual cars on the road. It doesn't matter what year the vehicle being tested is, if they can use that data to further constrain new vehicle emissions requirements. Anyway, the point is don't fear these mobile smog stations, you can voluntarily participate or not, they can not force you to participate nor cite you afterwards.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 12secSS
you can voluntarily participate or not, they can not force you to participate nor cite you afterwards.
As of seven years ago, right?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

True.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And yet this is the picture on the front page of the CHP website:

F@cking b@stards !!!
Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 12secSS
No, not at all. They know that many cars on the roads do not actually take the smog test, hence why they crack down on illegal smog stations which take bribes to falsify tests. This is pretty much the only way DMV, EPA and CARB can actually get true data from actual cars on the road. It doesn't matter what year the vehicle being tested is, if they can use that data to further constrain new vehicle emissions requirements. Anyway, the point is don't fear these mobile smog stations, you can voluntarily participate or not, they can not force you to participate nor cite you afterwards.

Here...you guys will love this one! It's a couple years old though.
http://www.kron.com/Global/story.asp?S=1496829
Old 04-22-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm moving to Texas!
Old 04-23-2006, 05:27 AM
10 Second Club

i live in kentucky
Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

How does it affect out-of-staters? I roll to cali often and just wondered if it matters or if they only test Cali plates.

Quick Reply: Forced Smog Checks!