Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

One week car insurance???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One week car insurance???

Where can I get one week car insurance in LA? how much is it to get a car insured for just one week? I'm gonna pick up a 2000 T/A in LA and drive back to Texas with it.
Thank you.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not contact your current insurance company?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Most Insurance (If you have full coverage or libility) Will allow you to "Temp" that coverage to a new vehicle untill you can drop it by, and show it's current condition most won't have full coverage (on used cars) but at least liability, which is all you're required to have in most states... If you currently don't have coverage in your home state, then talk to an agent there, and see what they're willing to do to get your business...
Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Why not contact your current insurance company?
I am currently abroad, that is why I'd like to find out before flying out to California.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dcrosby
Most Insurance (If you have full coverage or libility) Will allow you to "Temp" that coverage to a new vehicle untill you can drop it by, and show it's current condition most won't have full coverage (on used cars) but at least liability, which is all you're required to have in most states... If you currently don't have coverage in your home state, then talk to an agent there, and see what they're willing to do to get your business...
Thank you for your reply dcrosby, yes, the liability and a temporary insurance of one week is what I'm looking for to drive that car back to Texas.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Aaa............
Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by travie319
Aaa............
Tried, but no answer.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Geico, Allstate, Progressive do not give one month insurance, does anybody know which insurance could give one week or month? around 90056? thx.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

I use state farm, they have been pretty flexible with me... it might have to be just through your current agent as he is more apt to satisfy your business.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

You have 10 days from the purchase date to insure the newly purchased vehicle here in AZ...I'm not sure of Texas...Why not call them up and ask???
Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by N2OGTO
You have 10 days from the purchase date to insure the newly purchased vehicle here in AZ...I'm not sure of Texas...Why not call them up and ask???
I would, but I am currently abroad. Would somebody help me out for this? I'd like to find out before I fly out to Los Angeles and purchase the car from the private seller. DMV or AAA would know the answer?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Teching In

California DMV reads a follows:

I just bought a car. How long do I have to provide evidence of insurance to DMV?
Private-use—your insurance company must report your insurance information to DMV within 30 days of the issuance of a registration card for a newly acquired vehicle (original or transfer).
Commercial/business policies—you must show proof of insurance and complete a Commercial Insurance Notification (REG 5085) as part of the transfer or original application.
Self insurance, cash deposits, and surety bonds—you will receive a notice from DMV approximately 45 days from the date the registration card is issued. To avoid suspension, you must respond to the notice by submitting a copy of your evidence of financial responsibility prior to the suspension effective date on the notice.

And they state that if you operate a motor vehicle you HAVE to have insurance, I.E. it has to cover the vehicle while on Ca. Roads......

When I moved to Germany, Temporarily I got an international licence, and a international policy from either AAA, or the ADAC (German AAA) I can't remember and I got into an accident, and it covered me for liability....

You might want to try that route...

Also A lot of companies like Progressive will put you on a "Month to Month" Bill Paying system, tell them you want a 6mo, policy, and stop paying after a month...(Tell them you sold the car ?) assuming you are storing the car in TX ? Since otherwise you'd just be able to change the address and continue the policy....

Edit Sorry: Link to DMV http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ins_vrfr_faqs.htm#12
Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send me $100 and I'll insure you for the week you are in LA.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Send me $100 and I'll insure you for the week you are in LA.
I'll be in LA for a couple of days.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dcrosby
California DMV reads a follows:

I just bought a car. How long do I have to provide evidence of insurance to DMV?
Private-use—your insurance company must report your insurance information to DMV within 30 days of the issuance of a registration card for a newly acquired vehicle (original or transfer).
Commercial/business policies—you must show proof of insurance and complete a Commercial Insurance Notification (REG 5085) as part of the transfer or original application.
Self insurance, cash deposits, and surety bonds—you will receive a notice from DMV approximately 45 days from the date the registration card is issued. To avoid suspension, you must respond to the notice by submitting a copy of your evidence of financial responsibility prior to the suspension effective date on the notice.

And they state that if you operate a motor vehicle you HAVE to have insurance, I.E. it has to cover the vehicle while on Ca. Roads......

When I moved to Germany, Temporarily I got an international licence, and a international policy from either AAA, or the ADAC (German AAA) I can't remember and I got into an accident, and it covered me for liability....

You might want to try that route...

Also A lot of companies like Progressive will put you on a "Month to Month" Bill Paying system, tell them you want a 6mo, policy, and stop paying after a month...(Tell them you sold the car ?) assuming you are storing the car in TX ? Since otherwise you'd just be able to change the address and continue the policy....

Edit Sorry: Link to DMV http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ins_vrfr_faqs.htm#12
Thanks a lot for the info.

Still looking for that insurer in LA who would sell one month liability coverage tho.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

ttt...?