Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Is Y pipe smog legal in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiSSin LS1
just get long tubes with a catless y pipe or one with cats...then pay the extra $200 every 2 years for a cough cough smog...

u dont wanna get mids or shorties...cuz down the road u r gonna change to long tubes...trust me...i went through the process...so dont just think about a catted or non catted y...figure it out if u want long tubes then decide on a y pipe...

if i were u i would get long tubes with a catted y pipe...just in case a cop looks under ur car one day...at least u can say u have some cats...even though they are not in the stock position, but what cop really knows the difference? jsut do it for visual purposes, then get a cutout
I think I am going to do that soon.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruiSSin LS1
just get long tubes with a catless y pipe or one with cats...then pay the extra $200 every 2 years for a cough cough smog...
It's more than that now - they are starting to really crack down on shops.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothings legal in california.not even me
Old 05-01-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_Y2KSS
Technically youre "legal", I think you just have to give notice to the community wherever you move
Old 05-02-2008, 05:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
Technically youre "legal", I think you just have to give notice to the community wherever you move
lol whats that mean
Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he's calling you out, sex offender.

i made 336/339 on a dyno dynamics through my a4 with mac mids, mac catted y, catback, lid and my own hptuners tune.

thing is, i don't have time to hunt down a good smog shop before i gotta smog my car in a month or two. sad to say i'm getting the mac mids and catted y taken off and stock manifolds put back on. for consolation, i've got a tsp rumbler to throw on.
in the next couple months i plan on throwing on about 100 or so CARB legal horses, but it's going to cost a hell of a lot more than a h/c setup that guys get away with in other states.

anyone keep their car registered in another state to avoid this emissions bullshit?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_Y2KSS
lol...
Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
so that explains it...he likes lil boys
Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BobDoLe

i made 336/339 on a dyno dynamics through my a4 with mac mids, mac catted y, catback, lid and my own hptuners tune.

thing is, i don't have time to hunt down a good smog shop before i gotta smog my car in a month or two. sad to say i'm getting the mac mids and catted y taken off and stock manifolds put back on. for consolation, i've got a tsp rumbler to throw on.
in the next couple months i plan on throwing on about 100 or so CARB legal horses, but it's going to cost a hell of a lot more than a h/c setup that guys get away with in other states.

anyone keep their car registered in another state to avoid this emissions bullshit?
Thanx for the numbers! With mid headers, and a Y, I am installing ported tb that i just purchased, FTRA, Bellow, Pullies, MAF, and dyno tuning it after... Any idea about how much RWHP would i make??
Old 07-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BobDoLe

Did you need oxygen sensor extensions or o2 sims?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
There are no technical California smog legal cat assemblys. Although you would probaly pass no problem though still illegal.
Everything in California is illegal. Every person that has ever had anything to do with me car, from the salesman, to my mechanic, to the car wash dude, were ALL at one time illegals.

(Note for the politically correct: I cross into Mexico for service and repairs on my cars, oil change is $5 bucks.)
Old 09-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Launching!

I was actually thinking of getting that Random tech. y pipe. Im trying to keep my car street legal that why I dont want to run LT's. I was under the impression that RandomTech.'s Y-pipes with High-flow cats are street legal. My brother ran that set-up with shorties on his LT1 and never had issues at the Smog station.

The difference in sound is impressive.

Quick Reply: Is Y pipe smog legal in CA?