Old 06-17-2008, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where u been hiding all day fordh8r
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsteele90
so how is using the trip meter far from accurate? if my car used to go 150 miles out of a half tank and now is only going 80 apparentaly something is wrong.
You are assuming your gas gauge is correct.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes i am why would it be off?
ive never messed with it.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where u been hiding all day fordh8r
Had to strip the tint off my windows. I got court tommorrow morning. I got my lines and **** in today, and of course those bastards sent me the wrong ones!Oh well. That just means the car will be sitting another 2 weeks. Im thinking about putting that 388 stroker in a 89 IROC. We will see though.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 AM
Banned

if u noticed the gas guage's on our cars suck unless there full to the max. when my car is dead empty check guages light on and i fill up 5 gallons my needle shows half a tank??? so if i only filled 5 gallons in my 16.8 capacity gas tank why would it show that i have half of 16.8 filled????
Old 06-18-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
im talking about bio diesel, and sure correct me, im here to learn

With the reduction in sulfur contained in the newer "clean" diesel a lot of the lubrication properties of the fuel were lost. Diesel engines require a certain amount of lubrication to run properly. Biodiesel has much better lubrication properties than the newer clean diesel, and a lot of the older diesel which causes a lot of deposits left in the fuel system to break loose and "clog" the fuel filter. after making the switch to biodiesel it may require a few filter changes, but after that fuel filters should actually last longer than they would on regular diesel.

If you have the time, which i havent lately, making biodiesel is definately worth it. i have agreements with about 10 restaurants within 2 miles of my work that give me waste veg oil. depending on the price of metanol i was making it for about 1.50 a gallon compared to the 4.00 i was paying then, and the 5.00 im paying now.

you are correct that it has a smaller btu, but its higher cetane rating and lubrication properties allows biodiesel to have no affect on power or mileage

i believe biodiesel.org has lists of people who make/sell, and stations that sell biodiesel in socal, but im not sure

please excuse if any of this didnt make sense i have been up for three days and have to go back to work in 4 hours
Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's off some. Fill up your car, log miles, fill up again, record the gallons needed to fill-up again. There's your mpg. Multiply mpg by size of tank to figure miles per tank.

A more accurate calculation than what you are doing.

Quick Reply: what to do about horrible gas mileage?