An LQ4 would be nice too. lol
Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy4
LT1 + spray=F T W!!!
Originally Posted by krazy4
An LQ4 would be nice too. lol
with the shot on a high miles LT1, it would blow up in no time. requiring an engine rebuild anyway. so why not save the time and put a diff motor in there.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6_Suicide_Machine
hahaha that one got to me. I have a few questions though man, what did you have to do to just get it in the car? and a LS1 front assembly will go right on there right? and did your motor come with Fly-by-wire?
lol... Ryne, Mike, and CJ really pretty much did all the work... so honestly those are the guys to ask... but as far as I know, the LQ4 is exactly the same as an LS2 with the exception of dished pistons for lower compression (perfect for an FI setup) and it's iron...

Ryne had my heads milled to up the compression back up since i wanted an N/A build... if your looking for an N/A build, I'd start off with an LQ9 block, as it's the same as the LQ4 but the pistons aren't dished... so the compression is 10:1 as opposed to 9:1 (i believe those are the right CR specs), and there would be no need for you to mill the heads... I went with the LQ4 simply because I was on a tight budget, and Ryne had one available in his shop that he cut me a great deal on...

my current compression ratio is 11.2:1 after the milling of the heads...

fly-by-wire? that's what's on the new vettes throttle body right? the electronic throttle type setup? if so... no, mines cable, just like it was on the LS1....

everything from my LS1 swapped over by the way... so it was all interchangeable...

If your really serious about this build and want a good reliable setup, give the guys over there a call... they can set you up with one like mine or similiar to it... with a nice SAFE/RELIABLE tune...

my car could absolutely make more power than it currently is... but i have a rich tune on her because reliability was my main concern... and I'm completely satisfied with the "pull" it has right now...

from the words of Tony Mamo...

"Your graph is a thing of beauty man....nice job.

From what I can see you have perfect valve control approaching 6800 rpm's right now"

Last edited by Soul TKR; 09-07-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
lol... Ryne, Mike, and CJ really pretty much did all the work... so honestly those are the guys to ask... but as far as I know, the LQ4 is exactly the same as an LS2 with the exception of dished pistons for lower compression (perfect for an FI setup) and it's iron...

Ryne had my heads milled to up the compression back up since i wanted an N/A build...

fly-by-wire? that's what's on the new vettes throttle body right? the electronic throttle type setup? if so... no, mines cable, just like it was on the LS1....

everything from my LS1 swapped over by the way... so it was all interchangeable...
ya Fly-by-wire, came on alot of the LQ4's so i was wondering if your motor came with it.

Ya it seems like the swap isnt that hard. just take a few things of a ls1 and its good to go.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

ya Fly-by-wire, came on alot of the LQ4's so i was wondering if your motor came with it.

Ya it seems like the swap isnt that hard. just take a few things of a ls1 and its good to go.
I used the stock throttle body from my LS1... but I don't know what it had beforehand on the original LQ4 motor... and I just had the shortblock so...

I know it came from an '02 2500 HD Chevy
Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Banned

oo ook. Ya im looking for a full pull out. Though im not really a fan of pulling out.

why didn't yo go with the L92 heads and Y76 manifold?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

oo ook. Ya im looking for a full pull out. Though im not really a fan of pulling out.

why didn't yo go with the L92 heads and Y76 manifold?
well, i was sponsored by BBK so all the BBK stuff I have on my car I got for free (LT's, ORY, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body)

as for the heads... well, I've always wanted a good set of AFR's and Ryne came through again with another killer deal on em so...
Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned

well, i was sponsored by BBK so all the BBK stuff I have on my car I got for free (LT's, ORY, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body)

as for the heads... well, I've always wanted a good set of AFR's and Ryne came through again with another killer deal on em so...
I wanna be sponsored...... hotchkis would be awesome. Front and rear sway bars, lowing springs, xtended rear control arms..... anyone know how i can do it?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I wanna be sponsored...... hotchkis would be awesome. Front and rear sway bars, lowing springs, xtended rear control arms..... anyone know how i can do it?
lol... I got lucky...

I used to work for RKSport (which was right around the corner from BBK)... a buddy of mine over on LS2.com got on one day and mentioned his trans am was the old test car for BBK and it had been totaled so they needed a new one... the year, make, and model matched my car... so on my lunch break I hauled *** straight over there and made arrangements... plus I had previously dealt with BBK before since we sold their stuff over at RKSport... seeing as I was nearby, had the exact car they needed, and the timing was good... not to mention we had business relations with them... it all kinda worked out...

course I was supposed to have my car in GMHigh Tech Performance magazine after it was all said and done... but my stock LS1 taking a crap on me took that out of the equation...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

lol... I got lucky...

I used to work for RKSport (which was right around the corner from BBK)... a buddy of mine over on LS2.com got on one day and mentioned his trans am was the old test car for BBK and it had been totaled so they needed a new one... the year, make, and model matched my car... so on my lunch break I hauled *** straight over there and made arrangements... plus I had previously dealt with BBK before since we sold their stuff over at RKSport... seeing as I was nearby, had the exact car they needed, and the timing was good... not to mention we had business relations with them... it all kinda worked out...

course I was supposed to have my car in GMHigh Tech Performance magazine after it was all said and done... but my stock LS1 taking a crap on me took that out of the equation...
sounds good. You should try and get into a mag again. Its pretty sick what you've done. Dont see it all the day, or even that much a year.

Either way if i get my head into this, when its over i want a 409CI stroker, with l92 heads, Y92 intake, with 90mm TB. Shooting for like 500rwhp.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

sounds good. You should try and get into a mag again. Its pretty sick what you've done. Dont see it all the day, or even that much a year.

Either way if i get my head into this, when its over i want a 409CI stroker, with l92 heads, Y92 intake, with 90mm TB. Shooting for like 500rwhp.
absolutely obtainable with that setup

I'll be upgrading to either a FAST or the new Street Warrior intake eventually... along with a 90 or 92 setup... that's really about the only area I have power left on the table except for maybe true duals and a bigger cam...

but my puny 224 cam is doing pretty good by me so far...

i don't want to loose driveability and right now it is really really street friendly so...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Banned

absolutely obtainable with that setup

I'll be upgrading to either a FAST or the new Street Warrior intake eventually... along with a 90 or 92 setup... that's really about the only area I have power left on the table except for maybe true duals and a bigger cam...

but my puny 224 cam is doing pretty good by me so far...

i don't want to loose driveability and right now it is really really street friendly so...
I really don't ever wanna loose drive ablitly. If i cant take it out and just enjoy a cruz, then ive gone to far.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

yea... i'm still on the fence or not whether i'd ever go with a cam in the 230's or not... I'm pretty content with the 224... i'd probably go 228 without much thought...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned

yea... i'm still on the fence or not whether i'd ever go with a cam in the 230's or not... I'm pretty content with the 224... i'd probably go 228 without much thought...
I say leave it how it is. Do you have forged pistons? Cuz if you do, when you wanna run quicker just run a small shot.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I say leave it how it is. Do you have forged pistons? Cuz if you do, when you wanna run quicker just run a small shot.
yea... i won't be changing the cam for a LONG while I imagine... the other parts are easy enough to upgrade...

I doubt i'll ever run the juice... I don't like the fact of only having power when the bottle is filled up... not to mention, I'd probably get trigger happy and blow up my ****
Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Banned

yea... i won't be changing the cam for a LONG while I imagine... the other parts are easy enough to upgrade...

I doubt i'll ever run the juice... I don't like the fact of only having power when the bottle is filled up... not to mention, I'd probably get trigger happy and blow up my ****
ahhh... ya nvm then def not the product for you. lol

Im sure that if i get to that barrier one day where im almost in the 10's ill run the 100 shot to break the barrier. lol

i really dont want to though.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the LQ4. Thats whats in my 99 TA. Most of the mods are in my sig. I just installed a FAST 92/92, and this car absolutely screams. I am on the STOCK truck motor camshaft.

I know, it sucks. But I have no more money for the cam package I need/want. Right now the car is a torque monster. Before the FAST 92/92 it was at 373RWHP and 409RWTQ.

After the FAST 92/92 I am betting I am over 400 RWHP and at least 425 RWTQ. I have 60 HP at least sitting in my cam, its eating me alive honestly. This setup is fun as hell(420RWTQ) but I really want a 230's 114LSA cam. This power was also threw a Moser 12 bolt.

Get the LQ4 if you can get it cheap. Its a really nice motor, with a slight weight penalty. Good luck
Old 09-17-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Get the LQ4. Thats whats in my 99 TA. Most of the mods are in my sig. I just installed a FAST 92/92, and this car absolutely screams. I am on the STOCK truck motor camshaft.

I know, it sucks. But I have no more money for the cam package I need/want. Right now the car is a torque monster. Before the FAST 92/92 it was at 373RWHP and 409RWTQ.

After the FAST 92/92 I am betting I am over 400 RWHP and at least 425 RWTQ. I have 60 HP at least sitting in my cam, its eating me alive honestly. This setup is fun as hell(420RWTQ) but I really want a 230's 114LSA cam. This power was also threw a Moser 12 bolt.

Get the LQ4 if you can get it cheap. Its a really nice motor, with a slight weight penalty. Good luck
Wonderful info. thanks much. AND A STOCK CAM WITH 373/409!!!! what were the bolt ons? and what heads were you running?

Ive now realized i should get the cam done before putting the motor in to save money/time. Im still trying to decide what would be good. And when your rocking an all iron block/heads. LQ4 weighs about 200LBS less than LT1
Old 09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FearTheDeer
Wonderful info. thanks much. AND A STOCK CAM WITH 373/409!!!! what were the bolt ons? and what heads were you running?

Ive now realized i should get the cam done before putting the motor in to save money/time. Im still trying to decide what would be good. And when your rocking an all iron block/heads. LQ4 weighs about 200LBS less than LT1
Mods are,
Lq4 Iron block
Kooks 1 7/8's LT's
Custom fabbed exhaust, mandrel bent, thru a Spin Tech muffler.
853 heads ported by Lingenfelter. Yellow springs.
Built T56 by W2W before they shut down.
Spec stage 3
Moser 12 bolt with 3.73's
Hotchkiss Weld in SFC
Hotchkiss front and rear sway bars

Not included in those numbers is the FAST 92 intake and the PTM 92 TB. Should be 400RWHP and at least 425 RWTQ. I hope.

Im sure im forgetting some stuff, but that the just of it. I really need a cam.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

ya those are some CRAZY numbers to get with no cam. And the LQ4 is a tiny tiny cam. I read an article where they got 58 more crank hp out of a GMPP hot cam. Cant even begin to think of what would come out with a 230's cam.

whats your CC with those heads? and estimated CR?

Quick Reply: Swap a LQ4 or Stick with the LT1?