What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1997 T/A whats it worth

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 T/A whats it worth

OK I am looking at a 1997 T/A, 134,000 miles on it. 6 speed transmission. Guy says its in immaculate condition. I've seen two pictures of it, the one of the interior matches his description, no tears in the leather, everything looks clean. The outside looks good and I see no dents or anything like that. I'm kinda puzzled though because it has the ram air hood, but he says its not a WS6. However, he says the hood was installed at the factory. Don't know if its functional or not, but it is painted to match. Anyways, I am going to go look at it on Saturday. He said $4500 cash money will get it. I have been looking for a car for about three weeks now, and had no luck. I would prefer a LS1, but life is full of little disappointments.
So what do ya'll think its worth. Or is it worth the price?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

That is a lot of miles! I understand that LS1 engines, if maintained well, will last much longer and quite a few here on this site have 200,000+ miles on their cars. As far as LT1 engines I am not so sure. I loved my '96 Formula when I owned it so I am a big fan. No negative vibes here. I just find it very hard to believe an LT1 car could be considered immaculate with that kind of mileage. There is always a rare chance but I bet you will find 'issues' with the car. Somehow I see your $4500 cash growing to $6000+ before you ever see 2011. Be careful! I would feel much more comfortable paying in the $3,500 range to allow for repairs or whatever it may need, and that is providing the car is really nice! Otherwise, pass. It could be a potential money pit. I've seen really nice lower mileage LT1 cars going for prices in the $6,000+ range. Lots of life left in those examples and for just a little more than what this seller is asking. Good luck!

Last edited by NC01TA; 06-29-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

134K for a 13 y/o car, that's relatively low mileage. Assuming that it is in great shape I don't see any issues with a high mileage car, plenty have driven them past 200K. Look at the common issues for LT1's and see if they have been addressed. I sold my 97 Z28 for $4,500 with bolt on's a year ago, it had tears in the seat, cruise didn't work and the paint wasn't great. It had 178K on the body/interior/rear end. Motor/Trans only had 15K.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah its still a lil more than what I wanna pay, but I am also hoping its really a WS6. I looked at a 1997 WS6 the other day, 168,000 miles on it. Hood had a spot where the headlight had been hitting somehow. You could see the fiberglass on the hood from the wear. Rear bumper looked like it had been hit. Just not a excellent condition car, and they wanted $7500 for it and wouldn't come down at all. Found a 1998 with a 6 speed and the people wanted $8950 for it and wouldn't come down a dime. Went to three different cities the other day and didn't even see a T/A. Almost got scammed on a car from a seller online.
However, I do worry about the whole OPTI thing on LT1's. But if I pay $4500 for an LT1, I can have a couple grand left from my Army bonus in the bank for insurance, parts, whatever else I may need. I am in college so money is somewhat tight. Oh yeah also should add, car has cold A/C, all gauges, seats, windows, everything works. 4 almost brand new tires. Guy says the motor is strong as an ox. + its a 6 speed, and thats the only way I would have an LT1.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He says its not a ram air hood on it. And one of the headlight motors sticks sometimes, and when you manually turn the ****, it will go ahead and go up. Other than that, I asked him every question imaginable. Just don't wanna pay to much. Here is a shot at trying to post a pic. I know thats a ram air hood-http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_po...6&photoIndex=0
Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seats been patched, whens the last time it had a clutch, has the opti been replaced already? if so u have a long way to go, what about the water pump? its not a ws6, just has a hood on it
Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jamin
seats been patched, whens the last time it had a clutch, has the opti been replaced already? if so u have a long way to go, what about the water pump? its not a ws6, just has a hood on it
Yeah, its got 16" wheels on it, so its not a WS6. Which is a bummer. I would rather have a LS1, but I can't even find a higher mileage LS1 T/A. Then I would have to get lucky and find one thats within a reasonable price range. I've been to car auctions, checking every newspaper in Arkansas, Memphis, Texas, etc..
Just getting frustrated as I need a vehicle. Got the money, but just can't find one. And I am really starting to lean towards not even going and looking at this car.
Seems that LS1 T/A's are higher than Z28's and SS's.
thanks a million for the input on the car. Hopefully people will keep chiming in with advice.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Yeah, its got 16" wheels on it, so its not a WS6. Which is a bummer. I would rather have a LS1, but I can't even find a higher mileage LS1 T/A. Then I would have to get lucky and find one thats within a reasonable price range. I've been to car auctions, checking every newspaper in Arkansas, Memphis, Texas, etc..
Just getting frustrated as I need a vehicle. Got the money, but just can't find one. And I am really starting to lean towards not even going and looking at this car.
Seems that LS1 T/A's are higher than Z28's and SS's.
thanks a million for the input on the car. Hopefully people will keep chiming in with advice.

seen lots of ls1's with higher miles in the 5-7 range just keep looking, I know it sucks lol
Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I just gotta be patient. LS1>LT1
Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Trans Am's are more expensive than Camaro's. What's your price range for each type of car? LS1 and LT1.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was patient and found a LS1 T/A, very happy. 6 speed, lots of fun!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Thats is awesome to hear man..

Quick Reply: 1997 T/A whats it worth