What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28

Ok, the attached list of mods is EXHAUSTIVE!!!

History: I have owned the car since new. Special ordered from dealer in late 1994.
Car only has 25K miles and has been garage kept for over 15 years. I am sure I am biased, but the car is a show/magazine caliber car, but I never tried to get it published...I am a racer.
I built the car completely myself. I have been around racing my entire life...and my interest in cars led me to earn a degree in mechanical engineering. In my professional career I have had access to various fabrication equipment: CNC mills, lathes, TIG welders, Tubing Benders, cutters, etc. In short, I made a lot of very nice parts sparing no expense in materials or components. When I purchased other parts, I bought what I thought was the very best available. So I purchased some very expensive components: Lamb Compononets, Mark Williams, Hogan, G-Force Transmissions, Quaife, Brembo, Jesel, Romac, ARP Fasteners, MSD Ignitions, etc.

I bet you haven't even heard of some of these brands...probably because they are foreign (not chinese), or very specialized. But they engineer top notch parts.

I have invested over $65k in the car in it's current form...and that does not include LOADS of custom parts, and years of my labor. However, I know it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I am considering asking $25K...which I know is a lot, but you need to read the parts list before you say "Oh my GOD!!".

Highlights:
Hogan's sheetmetal Intake
Quaife ATB Helical Gear 9" differential
One-off custom BREMBO brake set using MONOBLOCK calipers
G-Force 6-speed
etc, etc.

I hate to tear it apart, the car is like new and looks as if GM built it! But I think I might do better by selling the major components...you tell me.

Performance wise the car makes about 650HP n/a...and it has 300HP fogger that has not yet been utilized. Previously the car a 10.93 on motor with a TH400 and 4K converter with 29x15 ET Streets. I got married, had (2) kids and did not race/drive the car for a few years. So, I decided to build up a G-Force 6 speed, Install Pro Touring Tire/Wheels and make the car more enjoyable. Since, purchasing the 6-speed, McLeod Twin-Disc Clutch, and I-Forge wheels, I have driven the car maybe 100 miles in the last 2 years. I think I am just getting too old.

So download a review Build_Sheet.txt (attached)

So, will it sell for $25K...or should I sell the parts?
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Build_Sheet.txt (12.0 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by r_trigg; 06-08-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

No, it will not sell for $25,000 unless you find that one very special buyer who just loves and appreciates what you have done to the car. It would be tough to even get $15,000 for it. Your car appeals to a very limited buyer's market, a market that is generally very young and without cash. Loans? Forget it. I'm sure the car is worth every penny of $25,000 but worth and real world selling prices are two very different things. Many owners are in that position. Parting it out will return the most 'bang for the buck' but it is a tough, time-consuming task to advertise, ship, and deal with the whole process. You sure you don't want to keep it after all you have done and spent? Good luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
No, it will not sell for $25,000 unless you find that one very special buyer who just loves and appreciates what you have done to the car. It would be tough to even get $15,000 for it. Your car appeals to a very limited buyer's market, a market that is generally very young and without cash. Loans? Forget it. I'm sure the car is worth every penny of $25,000 but worth and real world selling prices are two very different things. Many owners are in that position. Parting it out will return the most 'bang for the buck' but it is a tough, time-consuming task to advertise, ship, and deal with the whole process. You sure you don't want to keep it after all you have done and spent? Good luck!
I guess I just invested the money in the wrong car While I still love the car, I'd like to move on to something else. I have over $16k in the engine alone...I couldn't sell the complete car for that amount. Like anything, I think pictures would help a LOT! But, I completely agree it would take the RIGHT buyer to appreciate the craftsmanship and caliber of parts.

As far as parts, I think I could easily get $4k for the transmission...with McCleod Clutch and M/W Drive Shaft (required due to Viper Output)..probably $5K. The brake sets are a work of art...using billet and aircraft (AN) hardware. They are essentially NEW with maybe a couple of hundred miles. I think I could get $3500-$4K for the complete setup. Probably Get $1,500 for the wheels/tires from a Corvette guy as they are made for a C5 Z06. I think I could sell the rearend for $2,500-$3,000...maybe even more if I part it out. Then there is the engine. The intake with the fogger would sell upwards of $2K. I still have a modified LT1 intake with raised runners I could put back on the motor. The Pro Series Jesel is worth $500 useds. The complete ported heads would sell for $800-$1000. Then I could sell the shortblock for $2000-$2500.

Sure those are just ball park numbers, but that is $16K already. Then I have all the Chrome Moly suspension parts, Coil Overs, Fuel System, Carbon Fiber Hood, Spoiler, MSD components, etc. Tons of smaller value parts...that would total to a few thousand more.

I forgot I have a set of ultra-rare EXPORT taillight...4-5 years ago they were selling for $500/set.

While I do not disagree with you, The absolute lowest I would consider is $20K. The car is not some worn out, hacked up retired drag car. It is fully functional, 650HP 1995 Z28 with less than 25K miles. Still has A/C, Factory BOSE stereo, Full leather interior, etc. I drove it to Las Vegas from Houston and raced in the Silver State Classic. As you have mentioned the main problem is you have to find a guy with CASH, because you can not get a $20K loan for a 1995 Z28!

That is why parting it out probably works best...you can find alot of people with a few grand for parts!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Definitely a part-out - GLWS either way
Old 06-10-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Definitely a part-out - GLWS either way
Again, no disagreement.

But, I found a 99 on this forum that run's 9.0x and they are asking $27K.
Several comments about "wish I had the money", "nicest car on the forum", etc.

Previous to the 396 motor I have in the car now, my car ran a 9.70 with much milder 383...using the fogger (250HP). I cracked the cast steel crank and the motor started making a ticking sound...So, I built the Super Solid 396. The old 383 ran 11.40's on motor...the 396 will run 10.90's on motor...and is built to handle the nitrous! So, in drag trim, the car should go 9.30-9.40's no problem. Mind you this is a 3,500lb car. I have pictures with the front wheels off the ground about 18"....with about 8" of wheel travel. So, the front end is up at least 2 feet! The car hooks, goes straight and is built to handle it.

Anyway, I admit there is a little difference between 9.0x and 9.3x. But is there $12K difference?

Again, without photos my car is only an enigma. But it looks like it rolled out of GM's shop as some sort of stealthy racecar. Maybe it is the love affair with the LS1...that kills LT1 cars. Even a bullet proof 650HP LT1 gets no respect

I may risk putting in the Dupont Registry or Robb Report. It cost nearly $1,000, but at least readers of those publications have money to blow!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

You will find many modded cars for crazy prices, much higher in some instances, and for cars that are probably crappy compared to yours. Anyone can ask whatever they want but will they get their money? No. Oh, sure you will get comments all over the place such as, "You will have no trouble selling." "I'd love it for that price." etc... OK guys, thanks for the kind words but how about some $$$?? I am sure there are a few cash buyers out there for these cars but not many. If you would like to sell the car vs parting it out, may I suggest Hemmings, both on-line and the thick print addition? I believe the on-line ads are $49.95 for the 'cheapie' version and 60c per word for the printed addition. Less if you are a subscriber. That won't break the bank for you and Hemmings does appeal to the higher end buyer in many cases. Good luck!

** By the way, don't fret over the LT1 vs LS1 argument. The same exact situation exists for the highly modded LS1 car. No difference as it is the same buyers market with no cash or loans available, not for $20,000+ anyway.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:43 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm drooling just reading the description. If you post pictures I might need a moment alone.

I hear the comments in this thread, but I have purchased two very extensively modded, well-built, super clean and very low mileage 4th gen Camaros over the years and paid 2x,xxx both times. Buyers like me are out there. Granted in both cases the builder/seller took over a 50% loss on their investment to sell them to me, but it sounds like you realize your situation.

I have an LTx car that I built from stock and over the years it has gone through a few re-incarnations. I went through a period of very bad luck with the car, including times when I didn't even want to look at it. But I could not put it up for sale. Over the 16 years I have owned it, I have spent a completely idiotic amount of money. I would lose my *** financially in a sale, so I feel like I'm married to the damn thing (through good times and bad, blah blah).

Good luck with it - from someone who knows.

Last edited by TWS; 06-10-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Do you mind posting some pics of your car? This sounds gorgeous, I'd love too see it.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Default A few pics

Here are a few pics:

I no longer have the wheels shown in the "Drag Trim" pic...but it is still a nice pic
Attached Thumbnails Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_396_lt1_1.jpg   Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_396_lt1_2.jpg   Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_396_lt1_3.jpg   Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_396_lt1_4.jpg   Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_396_lt1_5.jpg  

Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_drag_trim.jpg   Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_a-arms.jpg   Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_3_4view.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

lot of guys don't know you and haven't been around a long time I'd guess, is this Ronald Trigg? I don't know you personally but remember the name from way back in the day. I think I remember your name from the early days when we had the fbody mailing list and there was a guy named Rob that use to be the admin. That was back in 95/96 I'd say.

Clearly this thing is a work of art and I'd say don't sell it if you don't have to. That much time/effort/design/pride shouldn't be parted with unless you really need the money for life. If not, enjoy it, even if it's 1000 miles every other year, the grin will always be there. I still have my camaro since new too, but it's lived a rough live and rusted badly and I still can't get rid of it
Old 06-11-2011, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by merim123
lot of guys don't know you and haven't been around a long time I'd guess, is this Ronald Trigg? I don't know you personally but remember the name from way back in the day. I think I remember your name from the early days when we had the fbody mailing list and there was a guy named Rob that use to be the admin. That was back in 95/96 I'd say.

Clearly this thing is a work of art and I'd say don't sell it if you don't have to. That much time/effort/design/pride shouldn't be parted with unless you really need the money for life. If not, enjoy it, even if it's 1000 miles every other year, the grin will always be there. I still have my camaro since new too, but it's lived a rough live and rusted badly and I still can't get rid of it
Yep, that's me. The car and I actually have quite a long racing pedigree...I raced in several of the early f-body shoot outs...mid to late 90's. I was in the finals in nearly every shootout event that I entered...winning all but one. I was active in the street race scene in the Houston area for many years...until everyone knew the car. Then, I still raced many "trailer cars" only loosing to a couple. Then I raced the local "Hotrod Gossip" sponsored "Meltdowns" at the local 1/8 mile track...I won 5 or 6 consecutive events in the 7.00 bracket class...until Joe Golden, the promoter, asked my not to come back! I guess I was bad for business. Then they started a a new class called "Real F*ckin' Street" for street legal cars. I was allowed to enter the new class. I won that too, until I was DQ'ed for not defending my title over an Easter weekend, because I was out of town. So, I got "fed up" and quit racing for a while. Later I raced in a couple of "Thunder Shootouts" in Baton Rouge sponsored by Thunder Racing. I think I made it to the Semi-finals there...due to the sheetmetal intake I was placed in classes which allowed pretty much any modifications (other than power adders and sheetmetal intakes). Aftermarket EFI, Any heads, Any cast intake, carburetors, etc...so there was some pretty nasty stuff in my class, basically race cars. Here I was with a factory PCM, Factory Heads, and 3,600lb car with full interior and A/C. The other cars were gutted cars nearly 1,000# lighter. It was tough going heads-up with those guys, but I did OK! Had it not been for the sheetmetal intake, I would have been legal in the much milder street classes...where I had more than a full second on the field.

Also, as mentioned I ran the Silver State classic open road race in the 140mph class back in late 90's as well.

Needless to say, I have had a lot of fun in he car in the last 16 years.

Now you guys are making feel all nostalgic, maybe I should just keep it! I'm not in a bind finacially. I was actually looking for something a little more eye-catching. I built the Camaro to be a "sleeper" so I could get races on the street. That is why you don't see red and blue AN fittings everywhere and bright colored fuel regulators, etc. I actually de-anodized any bright parts with acid...and re-anodized them black. Or, in the case of the Fogger, I used all stainless so there was nothing flashy. The carbon fiber hood and flashy wheels and brakes are very new additions...which add a little bling.

Anyway, I have added a posted created by HotRodGossip back in the day. They spelled my name wrong, but it is nice bit it of History none-the-less
Attached Thumbnails Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28-z28_challenge.gif  

Last edited by r_trigg; 06-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ron, good to see you are still out there It's been a while!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 AM
12 Second Club

I vote keep it, it was people like you and the original F-Body guys that made me love the door wedge shaped F-Body. And if you sell it, sell it with the respect and dignity it deserves, make sure it gets sold all in 1 piece or not at all, make sure it goes to someone who will care just as much as you have. Hell you've had it for 17 years, if I had something that long it wouldn't be about the money as so much as make sure it lived on, but hey that's just me. Not many people actually care, it sickens me how much trash in peoples car and how much they just don't care.

Shes still a beauty

Hell Ive only had my 94 4 years, and Ive had a lot of cars but theres something about this car that just feels right.

Also F-Body Hideout made me hate the song Alive-POD... They burnt that out.

Quick Reply: Sell or Part-Out, Highly Modded LT1 Z28