What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Sunset orange metallic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunset orange metallic?

Hello all,
Im kind of new to this forum. I initially used it to gather information for a ls1 swap. All i did was basically soak up the info in here.

I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 sunset orange metallic camaro SS. I checked the numbers on it and it all checks out. Only thing is The engine has been replaced (by the dealer) for oil consumption problems, which i read was a common problem with a few, and now i found out that the owner repainted the car ( same color). He says he was planning to keep it for a while and wanted to make fresh and clean but now needs cash. Carfax checks out and no accidents.
Im usually not **** about that stuff but this is my first camaro. He is willing to let it go for $9,000.00 is it worth it
Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

I would say yeah, but it is kinda high priced. I would try to get him down some. However, if you think it is a good deal for your money, then do it. I love that color.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Default Newbie sunset orange metallic question.

Hey guys,

I guess im kind of new. I posted a few times in regards to ls1 swaps. I mostly just read the posts of other people because they always ended up answering a question.

Here is my dilema. I have ran across a 2001 ss thats sunset orange metallic. The numbers all check out as far as rpo codes. The carfax is fine. Here is the issue im dealing with and it may or not be a big deal.

1. The car is ultra clean inside and out but i just found out that the car has been re-painted (same as original color). Seller says he wasnt planning on selling the car but some things came up. Understandible. But would that take away from the originality of the car even though it was painted the same color? Im usually not like that but this my first Camaro and from what i see and hear thats a pretty special color.

2. The engine was replaced (states it in the carfax as well). Owner said something about an oil consumption issue,which i have read is kind of common on a few ls1's. Other than that everything seems fine.

Just want to know if its worth the money. Its priced pretty low.
any feedback would be appreciated
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imo reprinted or not it is never going to be worth money, a collector.

If you like it and its a good deal, jump on it.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Teching In

how come the the sunset orange camaros cost so much more then? I started looking out of curiosity and they are sky high.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

They are usually a bit more taken care of, why I don't know.

Some people love that color and will pay more for it.

It is my least favorite, I would pay less. Same goes for all colors. They are a bit harder to come by, you don't see as many for sale so you can price a tad higher, white black and red are everywhere.

Purple, gold, etc are rare and might possibly pull some in the future depending on trim level and options.

Not too many ffbodys will be worth much within the next 10 years.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

As lemons stated, its a more desirable color, as is the M6 trans. Some options people want more and are willing to pay more for. As for the repaint, well, thats as good or bad as the quality of the paint job. A bad paint job can devalue the car, a great paint job can increase the value of the car, or rather make it even more desirable. I would pay more for a car with fresh factory quality paint over original worn paint....I think anyone would.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Yeah the paint job quality is really key you are right. I hope its up to par when i physically get to see it. The pics look great. The color is what really drew me to it to be honest so i second that opinion as well. I was going to get a c5 vette but the camaro really grew on me. I dont see alot of SS's around. I see a c5 a few times a week.

I dont think i have ever seen a purple fbody
Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Launching!

i agree with lemons they are a pretty garbage color lol
Old 08-31-2011, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by geoffreymexico
Did the Firebird come in sunset orange aswell? I didn't know that. I didm't realise either that gold only came om 98 cars until I got mine.

I love Sunset orange looks great I love burnt orange on the C6 Vettes also
Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

I can't believe that no one has asked about the mileage on the rest of the car or the engine replacement. How many miles on the tranny and the rest of the mechanicals and body?? What is the mileage of the 'new' replaced engine?? Is it stock or modified? Where was it pulled from? So many important details and factors to consider besides the paint. This car could be worth $9,000 easily or next to nothing (a money pit) if the car has seen 150,000+ miles or the engine came from 'God knows where'. Details please!!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Teching In

20,000 miles on the engine and around 80,000 on the car itself. He has all the paperwork from the chevrolet dealership. Everything is stock no mods have been done to the car at all.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 PM

It all about if it worth it to you. That all matters.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Thats true. Just that i have never dealt with this type of car before. So just want to make sure im not overpaying. To me it seems worth while. I just wanted some opinions on it. Better to get some chimes from people that are actual owners.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its a chicks color... Some people own chick cars!!!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
Its a chicks color... Some people own chick cars!!!

Suppose I shoulda got one like urs......what's that silver?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 86silverado
Thats true. Just that i have never dealt with this type of car before. So just want to make sure im not overpaying. To me it seems worth while. I just wanted some opinions on it. Better to get some chimes from people that are actual owners.
I have owned F-bodies for 15 years now since I purchased my first new Formula in July '96. This car is probably NOT a good deal if you have little knowledge of these cars. There are many things that set off red flags, especially the engine change. I don't like the car needing re-painting either. Those are two negatives right up front. Collector value with these issues?? No way. Bottom of the barrell. I still have too many unanswered questions and your details are too sketchy other than a good Carfax. How many owners is very relevant. I'm not sure I would buy a new engine because of excessive oil use on an 80,000 miles car. New LS1 engines are not exactly cheap. If the car was MINT with very low miles, then perhaps I could see it but with 80,000 miles on everthing else, not so sure. It is possible I imagine but like I said, so many questions need to be asked about the rest of the car and it's history. You can easily get a decent 'original paint' car with under 100,000 miles for $9,000 or less in this 'buyer's market'. You might even get a well maintained example with much lower mileage for that money. If I had $9,000 to spend on a LS1 car I would be looking at ads where the owners are asking right up to $11,000. There is negotiating room. You show up with that cash in hand and not many owners will let you walk. These cars (and most 10+ year old cars) are not that easy to unload for many owners. Good luck with everything!

Last edited by NC01TA; 09-01-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Suppose I shoulda got one like urs......what's that silver?
Special Edition Silver! Its for "OGs".
Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Teching In

well im not going into this as hoping it will make me money down the road. This will be an everyday driver. I never liked stepping into a boring car every morning. I see all these Audis and beamers and lexus's all day. They are nice cars but seem so cookie cutter to me. I just really dig the color. And its different to say the least. I tried the import thing for a hot hot second with a 300zx vert. But i started thinking. These import guys pay thousands and thousands of dollars just to try and get close to 300 hp. Why do that when i can get over 300 out the box stock and build off of that for alot less.

Anyone have any ccws they want to let go of. haha

Quick Reply: Sunset orange metallic?