What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

99 Hugger Orange M6 SS White Leather!! T-tops

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Being offered something vs cash in pocket are 'apples and oranges'. Do you know how many times I have been offered 'pie in the sky' prices for cars?? From my old 911 to my T/A, it's all talk. Show me the cash. It never happens. Talk is cheap. "Oh yeah, I'll give you $XX,xxx for your car. I'll get with you tomorrow." or "I wish I had the cash to buy it. It would be mine." Uh-huh. Unfortunately buyers are not lining up banging on our front doors to buy these cars. I wish they were but I deal in reality. If someone actually forks over $12,000 cash in hand for your ride, take it! If that's too low for you, no problem, keep it. Please get back with us too. I want to hear about real world sales so I can continue to assist other posters here like I have for the past 5+ years. This is important and can affect peoples lives. This is a lot of money for many people, especially younger people. That is why I share my 40+ years of collector car and automobile experience here. My pricing is very accurate. There are always exceptions both over and under. Nothing is set in concrete. I have helped many without getting their hopes up too high, and certainly discouraging buyers from paying too much and getting burned. Again, GLWS!!
*** If I was in the market for your car, yes, $16,000 would be a real world price if the car had 10,000 miles on it. 31,000 miles takes it out of many 'collector' mindsets, especially when not 'stock'. 1 of 50 or 1 of 5,000 it's too many miles for some. That's the 'collector' mentality, like it or not.
You said you would buy ten of them at $11,000 or $12,000. Well dealers certainly won't. Try it. See what a dealer will pay you for your car in cash. They know these cars don't move easily unless they have someone lined up. No easy loans for a 15 year old car and the cash buyers are few and far between.
Here is more proof of real world sales:
A 1999 13,000 miles 'HOSS' sold for $15,000 at the Mecum Kansas City auction a few years ago. http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...D=KC0310-91812
Let's see what this car goes for too in a few days. http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...6&entryRow=750
It's half your miles and advertised as 'excellent'. I'll predict $16,000 on the low end. Major auction houses can bring really good money. This isn't your typical 'private party' sale. Don't get the two confused. Private sellers rarely get what auction houses bring.
You might want to rethink your pricing process and put a bit more value on the limited production numbers and rarity of certain desirable cars.

This car….

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...6&entryRow=750

Sold for $21,500.00.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 535 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by autoguy
You might want to rethink your pricing process and put a bit more value on the limited production numbers and rarity of certain desirable cars.

This car….

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...6&entryRow=750

Sold for $21,500.00.
Yes, that's the one I posted about before. Outstanding!! Love to see it. Let's hope there are more examples in the future to show a pattern. As I said there are always exceptions and nothing is set in concrete, especially at auctions when two bidders MUST have that car! Please don't be one of those people that think they have the same car that sells at Barrett-Jackson, etc.. and expect the same price. Good God, Hemmings is loaded with car ads like that. The cars don't sell and the owners keep getting posting month after month. That's just being in denial.
I'll definitely re-think my prices when I see more examples. You still can't disregard past sales either. Each is factual. Each car has a history and presents itself in a unique way.
Remember I have no reason to want to see your car sell for a low price. I own an F-body with similar mileage like yours too. I wish they all were selling for $20k and more. Also remember that when you see asking prices, that doesn't equate to what cars sell for, especially from dealers. They are always looking for the uninformed. Yesterday (Saturday) at the Spring Rally in Pigeon Forge (yeah, the one with thousands of cars for sale up and down the road) I saw prices that knock your socks off. Guess what, they didn't sell. "Pie in the sky' hopes do not equal real world prices or sales. I'm sure you know that. I hope your car sells for whatever price you like and I hope that guy that supposedly offered $16k actually shows up, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. My advice stands. You asked and I provided an opinion based on this every day car hobby of mine. Hate it all you want. Ignore it if you like. You won't be the first in all the years I have been posting, and you won't be the last. Just trying to help and I provided my reasons and examples. Also remember that your car is not stock and has 30k miles. It all matters. I don't like telling posters lousy news about their car's values, but I also aim to assist those younger buyers that don't know what to pay. I will never advise one to pay too much and I err on the side of caution. You rarely buy used cars that don't need something as far as repairs or other needs, never mind taxes, title and all the other outlay. The $$ is just too hard to come by. If owners don't budge from asking prices, it's time to move on. It's very difficult, when you love something, to walk away.
I wish you the very best with your sale.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Here's one that's comparable: https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...e-ss-sale.html

Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1949gmc
Funny you post that. That is this same car. I bought it from a guy that bought it from him.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took that car around five months to sell back in 2011 when it had 24k miles on it and I am betting it did not sell for the $15,000 he was asking for it. It is now on its 6th owner and you think it is worth more now than it was then?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroguy1998green
im new at this what all do i need to to convert a 98 v6 camaro to a v8 car.
This guy is right on the money.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by autoguy
I guess I;m not the only one that Thinks/Knows it is worth much more than most estimates here…..

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
That car has been for sale for almost a year now, I went up and looked at it last june right before I bought the car I have now.
Again what people are asking and what they actually get are two different things...
Old 04-15-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

So we are talking about the value of orange Camaro's right? Swear to G this was just up on the side of my Yahoo email.....

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...C=CRTpdB306dyb
Old 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by anotherws6
this guy is right on the money.

lolol
Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Glad it worked out. I got the exact same amount for my HOSS I sold (graphite leather only diff, plus light mods) but it had 63k on mine - this was all back in 2009 though. They do pretty well in the market, not the same as red.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I recall seeing a 99 HOSS with 15K miles on Autotrader from late 2011-2013. Ask price was down to $13K last I looked. Some minor mods and probably 1 or 2 owners. It's not listed anymore so it probably sold....after 1-2 years. It seemed like a decent deal. But it was on there so long I felt bad for the guy.

$16.5K is a great price for a >30K mile car. That kind of money can buy you a 2002 SS with <10,000 miles...maybe even a '99 WS6 anniv coupe with slightly higher mileage. There's no way to be sure that the HOSS that just sold for $21.5K at auction was bought with "real money." For all we know that car was bid up by friends of the consignor/auction house to set it up for the next round. That's a big part of the auction business these days. Dealers flip cars back and forth between themselves (and the auction house) to make it look like the cars are selling for "all the money." Then when Joe Retail shows up they can point to the auction price for "proof" of what they're worth.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-27-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 99 Hugger Orange M6 SS White Leather!! T-tops