What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2001 Camaro SS #1331

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 Camaro SS #1331

Looking into possibly selling my baby. It is a proven show winner with 3 class winners at the fbodygathering and 1 2nd place the first year I showed. And a 2nd place at the vengeance/summit lsx car show which was for all gen Camaro, with very tough competition.
It was tuned by Mike at vengeance hitting 459rwhp/405tq.

It is a walk into show and race car.

Nothing wrong and runs great, just looking to start a new project with a stingray.

You can see everything that has been done at HTTP://www.2001camaross.com under the mods button, engine rebuild and repaint. It was painted for a show paint job, no wrecks ever.

It is a one of a kind Camaro having autographs and proof by NASCAR legends Kyle Petty and Geophrey Bodine, and then by fbodyfather Scott Settlemire.
Also highlighted up on the Meguiars Facebook page for one of the best paint jobs and detailing they have ever seen.

Listed below is everything in the car and the prices.

I would expect around $30,000+, thoughts. I would rather sell to someone from up here that would use it than eBay which is where the car dealers are all pointing me to or private sale.

SLP Options
17" x 9" Chrome-Plated ZR1 Style, Five-Spoke Aluminum Wheels
Performance Exhaust System with Dual-Dual Outlets (335 Horsepower)
Premium Front Floor mats with embroidered Camaro SS logo
(Two) Camaro SS Key Fobs and (One) Dash Plaque

Purchased from SLP Engineering
Birth/Adoption Certificate and Portfolio (yes I have offical adoption certificate for my car not just a title)
Air Filter, 1998-01 Camaro/Firebird K&N
Air Box Lid, 2000-01 Camaro/Firebird
2000-2001 SS Personalized Deckmat, Ebony

Engine:
LS1 - Rebuilt/upgraded
Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump for LS Engines
Katech C5R Timing Chain
102 LSXr Intake
102 Nick Williams Throttle Body
Spectre 4" Chrome Connector tube and rubber connectors to SLP Airbox
LS2 Fuel Rail - 36Lb injectors
VRX Cam 236/238 .601/.605 113
TrickFlow 220cc As Cast Cylinder Heads-3.9 Bore Milled Cylinder Heads to Spec-61cc
TrickFlow 7.500 Hardened Pushrods
2004 LS1 Valley Pan (!pcv)
ARP LS1 Head Bolts
ARP Rod Bolts
Billet Customer Performance Valve Covers/Coil Relocation
ASP Crank Pulley
Meizere Electric Water Pump
190AMP Powermaster alternator
Custom Tuning by Vengeance Racing - SD VE Tuning
Yofab Chrome covers: Batter, Power steering, PCM, Brake reservoir

Exhaust:
FLP Long Tube Headers w High Flow Cats & FLP 3" - 3 Piece Y-Pipe(All Ceramic Coated)
SLP Dual Dual Exhaust

Drive Train:
Hurst 6 Speed
Motive 3.91 Gears
Textralia Clutch and Transmission
Harlan Shift Light
Power Slot Rotors w/Hawk Brake pads

Parts cost:
FAST 102 -849.00
NW 102 Cable- 379.00
FAST OEM Fuel Rail Kit-219.00
VRX5 Camshaft -389.00
Subtotal- $1836.00
Uncle Sam @ 7%- $128.52
Total$1964.52

$1988
TrickFlow 220cc As Cast Cylinder Heads-3.9 Bore
232/234 .647/.599 112+3
1,679.00 1,679.00T
Mill Cylinder Heads to Spec-61cc 75.00 75.00
TrickFlow 7.500 Hardened Pushrods 109.00 109.00T
Sales Tax 7.00% 125.16

$1200 - rebuild engine with upgraded oil pump/ls7 timing chain/gears.
GM Front Cover Gasket 23.55 23.55T
GM Multi Layer Steel OEM Head Gaskets- SET 49.99 49.99T
ARP LS1 Head Bolts 189.00 189.00T
ARP Rod Bolts 99.99 99.99T
GM Rear Cover Gasket 19.80 19.80T
Rear Main Seal 26.99 26.99T
Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump for LS Engines 144.00 144.00T
Katech C5R Timing Chain 139.00 139.00T
Installation of all parts listed above (Excluding cylinder
heads/gaskets/bolt)
Yofab Chrome covers: Batter, Power steering, PCM, Brake reservoir - $500

$5000 - clutch/billet flywheel
$500 - 3.91 gears installed.

$579 - meizer water pump
$400- 190 amp
$400- Vacuum pump
$5000- sterio
$500- hawk pads/rotors
$1500 - efilive
$4000 - repainting the car
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Camaro SS #1331-img_2051-1-.jpg  

Last edited by kick_*ss; 07-26-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Cars like yours that are truly unique in almost every regard can bring really good money, especially with Nascar connections and being a featured car. No one here can give you a price unless they just like throwing numbers around for grins. Your car is an auction car IMO. The market at a major auction house will bring you a fair price 9 times out of 10. Still a a gamble if 'no reserve' and yes, it's a pain to transport and consign, but selling yourself is not easy and so many potential buyers have concerns about cars like this, whether real or imagined. I agree that Ebay would be a waste of time.
I begged my car collector neighbor to sell his #1 condition 1935 Ford Phaeton at a recent auction in the northeast a few months back. It was in Newport, RI where some serious $$ would be bid. He just didn't want to do it. It would be sold now and he would be done with it. Instead I have this ad posted for him. http://classiccars.com/listings/view...ampaign=seller Two calls so far and none serious. The big $$$ cars are moved much quicker at these auctions nowadays. If you don't want to do that, post up an ad with a wishful thinking price, like $35,000. If no bites, lower the price until you get some inquiries. It will probably take time if that's OK with you. You never know who is looking though.
Best of luck!!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so what is the nascar connection besides the car being autographed? Also how may miles are on the car?

The car looks like its been a great project but I cant see it bringing $30k unless it has incredibly low miles but then the mods kinds of take that value away...
Old 07-26-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car odometer is 89k, but the engine/tranny/clutch/gears have less than 1000 miles. All of that was replaced at the same time.

The NASCAR signatures, especially Kyle Petty is unique in that he is tried and true Dodge signing a Chevy. He was really a great guy and asked a lot about the car. Geophrey Bodine, well, not so nice. Seems really put out that he was at the parade/car show, but did sign it.
The autographs do make it unique, and I'm sure a Nascar fan would love to have it just for those. Considering the toy cars fetch an insane price at times, a real one should too.

NC01TA, that was pretty much what I was going to do, try selling on Ebay with a reserve and test what response I get, lowering it only to the point I'm not giving it away. I'd rather give it to my son than selling for the price of a Camaro ss KBB value.

I'm honestly shocked with the Chevy dealer, they were really great guys and were honest with me. They said the same thing you did. Someone out there would want the car as is because of what is done and the condition. Rare to get a walk in show car that you don't have to do anything to and get wins, and its stupid fast for NA.

At this point anyone getting it has the option to go with Nitrous and get easy extra HP, or Turbo and not have to swap out everything in it.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Meguiars Facebook post about the reflection in the trunk of my SS at the Vengeance/Summit car show

https://www.facebook.com/MeguiarsUSA...89952607695955
Old 07-27-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kick_*ss
Meguiars Facebook post about the reflection in the trunk of my SS at the Vengeance/Summit car show

https://www.facebook.com/MeguiarsUSA...89952607695955
That is an amazing photo. I would be proud to have a car featured or acknowledged by Meguiars too. I'm still happy about getting featured in Old Cars Weekly last month. http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1 They only can do 52 cars a year so it is rather exclusive company, thinking about the thousands and thousands of show cars in the US.
Back to your selling idea. As I always have said here in this section over the years, it is never a bad idea to try selling for a high price. No harm, right? If it doesn't work out, oh well. If it does sell, great!! The important thing is, 'not to expect it'. The market is very thin for expensive F-bodies and most, not all, buyers won't pay squat for mods. You see almost 'new' 2002 CETA cars on the market, for months sometimes, until the right price is realized. I always remember a pair of them at a well known lot near the Charlotte Motor Speedway that didn't sell for over a year! Even on Barrett-Jackson the CETA cars rarely exceed $30k, and you know how insane the prices get there. I don't mean to be negative but that's why I don't want you to get your hopes up too much. I'm just using a CETA as an example, and realize that you have a different beast. It will take a certain person to want a car like yours. I believe it is possible but how much will he pay?? That's why I mentioned wishful thinking pricing before. Reality could be half that or even worse. I'm glad you have patience and the thought process of handing the car down to your son if necessary. That would be one hell of a gesture and I would not sell a car like that for book value either, not even double book to be honest. Not with what you have done. I am obviously prejudiced since I love the Nascar connection personally as well. The Bodine family has connections with one of the '86 Aerocoupes that hits all the Super Chevy and Hendricks shows here in the southeast (a 1,000 miles trailer queen). I actually competed against it twice, once at the Bristol Motor Speedway, and once at Hendricks in Concord at his shops. If you and I can appreciate things like this, you have to hope someone else will too. It just may take time.
I wish you the best in your efforts.

**By the way, I like your Hooters show photos. Too bad the photos are so small.

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-27-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The new paint and drive train brings the car generally up to speed with other mint low mileage original cars. A mint 10,000 mile 2001 SS vert is probably an $18K to $20K on its own. Then to factor in the value of the additional horsepower, Nascar connection, and other amenities (stereo, etc.). Does all that add another $10K to the car's price? It might at a major car auction as you never know what will catch someone's eye. $30K is rarified air with FBodies where that kind of money you can buy mint, low mileage exampled of the the WS6 1999 and 2002 anniv verts, most any Firewawk, and a number of very nice 15K-20K mile GMMG cars (380 hp). The demand for such cars is very high and the prices have stayed up there. Brickyard and other specialty verts have Nascar connections and can often be bought for small premiums to the base car (5-20%). A signature on a cheap toy is basically the value of the signature. A signature on a $20K to $30K car is entirely subjective. The Dale Earnhardt Sr. signature on the instrument panel of the DEI's seems to add 15-30% vs those don't have it.

In my guesstimate the OP's Camaro is worth somewhere in the lower to mid $20's and even at that level you have to wait for that one buyer looking for something like this. If I had to spend $23K to $24K right now (and had the money) I'd go after an ultra-mint WS6/FH vert with <10K miles or a 20K mile GMMG car. But, that's just me. If this Camaro has $30K into it, I'd figure that $5K to $10K of that is not recoverable. I don't agree with the 50% or less idea either as I'd be tickled pink to pay $15K or somewhat more for a car of this caliber as long is was fully streetable, driver friendly and passes emissions. It's still a fully redone 2001 SS vert where even 90K worn out miles is worth $8K to $10K. It would seem to me that $10K or more in value was added here. If you offered me up a 10K mile SS vert or this car for say $18K I'd have have to go with the modified one. It is unique and has 400+ hp/torque to boot. That's higher than GMMG power. And you can't buy a generally factory stock, mint 400+ hp car for under $20K these days. At least not yet. Though in a few more years the used Z06's and others will be entering that range.

With all the contacts the OP has made over the years he's probably the true expert on what his car is worth and what he can get for it. But, it's fun to toss out some thoughts on the subject. NCO1TA, that's neat to get your car a feature in such a prominent magazine. Looks wonderful.

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-27-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I'm not looking to make a killing and know you never make any kind of money back on the mods, mostly looking for someone that really wants a walk into show car with a proven win history which it does. And is sheet-able, the important part. Although vengeance tuned it, I've worked with efilive as a beta tester since it first came out and even though it has a massive cam I have it idling without any problems and even can stop fast which usually large crammed cars almost always stall. It took digging through all the parameters and the upgraded os to do it. Nice new entries for required idle you can set that forces the car at any rpm or lower to be raised back to your desired idle. It passes emissions here in GA which they are really picky every year. I'd love 30k+, but 20-25k would be a nice down payment on a stingray or boxster gts. I have a boxster s limited edition now and work from home so both pretty much sit. I'd rather have 1 car I can focus on, the stingray I have my efilive and can at least do anything on it, the Porsche however I'd have to let a pro shop do any mods.
The 2015 z51 stingrays are just beautiful, and the targa roof is really sweet.

Last edited by kick_*ss; 07-27-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Firebrian!

kick_*ss, you know your stuff and you will do fine.
I do need to ask. I wonder if we met before. Did you happen to participate in the north GA mountain run a few years back (actually about 5 years ago) that featured all model Corvettes and Porsches running together? The groups split up immediately and got lost. It all ended up at a restaurant in Blairsville. I had a green '95 911 and lead one of the groups. About 40 cars turned out and some sweet Porsche models. I sold mine about 3 years ago.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, haven't had a chance to do a run with the Porsche, yet.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know if you saw the Barrett-Jackson auction yesterday from Reno. It was lot 435 or lot 485 (my eyes couldn't quite see it). A 2001 Trans Am that was completely customized with an LS engine putting out around 600 HP. Moser rear end and all kinds of incredible parts. Show condition. Just amazing. It sold for $20,000 plus the 10% BP. I know that B-J auctions are on the high side usually but it might give you some idea of what a somewhat similar high HP show quality car actually sold for.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Low Mile Camaro SS have been selling really cheap out here in AZ lately and I fully believe it's due to the the newer Camaros and higher horsepower newer cars.

A 2002 SS black Hardtop fully loaded SLP car (Automatic) with 345HP with the bow-tie front grill and just sold locally for $13 in Surprise. The car only had low 20's on it for miles. I almost bought it , but black cars in AZ are a huge NO-NO.And my wife works for the IRS so I don't flip cars, I actually hunt down car-flippers as part of my profession. (Couple on this Board that are on the verge of major Tax laws BTW...)

A 2001 SS Hardtop (6speed) had some SLP options sold for 11.5K out in Yuma, AZ just recently. The car just was ready to turn 50k. IT was NBM and was pristine. It had minor bolt on's.

You car being modified will bring between 13-17k to the right buyer IMO... Good luck
Old 08-04-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Custom
Low Mile Camaro SS have been selling really cheap out here in AZ lately and I fully believe it's due to the the newer Camaros and higher horsepower newer cars.

A 2002 SS black Hardtop fully loaded SLP car (Automatic) with 345HP with the bow-tie front grill and just sold locally for $13 in Surprise. The car only had low 20's on it for miles. I almost bought it , but black cars in AZ are a huge NO-NO.And my wife works for the IRS so I don't flip cars, I actually hunt down car-flippers as part of my profession. (Couple on this Board that are on the verge of major Tax laws BTW...)

A 2001 SS Hardtop (6speed) had some SLP options sold for 11.5K out in Yuma, AZ just recently. The car just was ready to turn 50k. IT was NBM and was pristine. It had minor bolt on's.
Sounds like some made out on that black SS assuming it had no hidden mechanical or body problems. If Arizona is not the place for Black cars than maybe this sale wasn't representative of what they bring elsewhere in the nation. What if that black car had been a white 6 speed? Thing always slip under the radar at auctions, car lots, etc. Up here in the northeast that black camaro wouldn't go for <$14-15K. And I think it would sell fairly easily at that price range....though I've not seen a clean 2002 with 20K miles or less being offered for <$15K. A 2000 NBM SS with 60K miles sold in my area (off Ebay no less) for $6500 last year. That was real cheap if the car was decent. One cheap sale doesn't necessarily make the market....only the very bottom of it.

I'm not seeing any signs yet that SS's or WS6's are losing ground (ebay, autotrader, northeast dealers). In fact, they've both gained ground over the past 2 years. But we should factor in that new car (and used) sales have been rallying for 5-6 years, and especially since the cash for clunkers program whittled the used car inventory down. If new car sales start turning down again, that could easily affect F body prices. I don't agree that these new 400 hp - 700 hp monsters are competition for the F bodies. Those new cars are in the mid $30's to $60's. A nice used 20K mile LS1 F body might only be $10K to $15K. If you have $40-$45K to blow on a 2015 485 hp SRT Challenger, then a $15K F Body was never in your thoughts to begin with...and vice versa. Even some of the early 2009-2010 370-400 hp Challengers are still in the upper $20's. They aren't cheap. It will be years (if ever) before those new higher HP cars will be down to the price range of the current F bodies. And even in 10 years, I don't see a nicely kept 410 hp Mustang, or 420 hp Challenger or Camaro, or 405 hp Z06 Vette commanding less than $15K to $18K. The nicer, lower mileage F Bodies will still be considerably cheaper even in the $8K to $12K range by then. I'd love to own one of these 2015 hp giants. But I don't have $45K laying around or want to be tied down to a "2nd mortgage" payment for the next 3-5 years. The "cheap" F Bodies are probably still the best bang for the buck out there. 300-345 hp can still do pretty well, especially when you weigh 500-800 lbs less than some of these new cars.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-04-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Sounds like some made out on that black SS assuming it had no hidden mechanical or body problems. If Arizona is not the place for Black cars than maybe this sale wasn't representative of what they bring elsewhere in the nation. What if that black car had been a white 6 speed? Thing always slip under the radar at auctions, car lots, etc. Up here in the northeast that black camaro wouldn't go for <$14-15K. And I think it would sell fairly easily at that price range....though I've not seen a clean 2002 with 20K miles or less being offered for <$15K. A 2000 NBM SS with 60K miles sold in my area (off Ebay no less) for $6500 last year. That was real cheap if the car was decent. One cheap sale doesn't necessarily make the market....only the very bottom of it.

I'm not seeing any signs yet that SS's or WS6's are losing ground (ebay, autotrader, northeast dealers). In fact, they've both gained ground over the past 2 years. But we should factor in that new car (and used) sales have been rallying for 5-6 years, and especially since the cash for clunkers program whittled the used car inventory down. If new car sales start turning down again, that could easily affect F body prices. I don't agree that these new 400 hp - 700 hp monsters are competition for the F bodies. Those new cars are in the mid $30's to $60's. A nice used 20K mile LS1 F body might only be $10K to $15K. If you have $40-$45K to blow on a 2015 485 hp SRT Challenger, then a $15K F Body was never in your thoughts to begin with...and vice versa. Even some of the early 2009-2010 370-400 hp Challengers are still in the upper $20's. They aren't cheap. It will be years (if ever) before those new higher HP cars will be down to the price range of the current F bodies. And even in 10 years, I don't see a nicely kept 410 hp Mustang, or 420 hp Challenger or Camaro, or 405 hp Z06 Vette commanding less than $15K to $18K. The nicer, lower mileage F Bodies will still be considerably cheaper even in the $8K to $12K range by then. I'd love to own one of these 2015 hp giants. But I don't have $45K laying around or want to be died down to a "2nd mortgage" payment for the next 3-5 years. The "cheap" F Bodies are probably still the best bang for the buck out there. 300-345 hp can still do pretty well, especially when you weigh 500-800 lbs less than some of these new cars.

Plus factor in the sure to be higher insurance rate for some of these new hp giants, the younger you are, the higher it will be!!

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro SS #1331