What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

98 Formula value?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default 98 Formula value?

So, I'm thinking about selling my 98 Formula M6 t-top and I'm looking for feedback on what to price it at. I have a number in my head, but I want to see what yall think.

It has 176K miles on it, but please keep in mind that I'm in big state, so miles aren't that big a deal. It runs and drives perfectly, cold A/C, hot heat. It's a lid/tune/LT car, hotchkis panhard rod, ROH racing wheels with good 275/40/17 tires, stealth sub box, custom gauge overlays and floor mats.

The only problems that it has are some minor chips/touch up paint on the nose, a cracked console lid and two dents in the passenger rocker panel. The fuel pump check valve is screwed, so you have to prime the pump twice, or crank it a little longer.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were looking at the car which I am not. Depending what condition the interior was in 6-8k? Being in a big state doesn't make mileage mute I have a 160 on mine and would get low balled to all hell for it.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I move high mileage vehicles here pretty easily. Sure it kills the value some, but not like the northern states. I was thinking about starting it at 6K, I don't think I could come anywhere near 8k.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JC316
I move high mileage vehicles here pretty easily. Sure it kills the value some, but not like the northern states. I was thinking about starting it at 6K, I don't think I could come anywhere near 8k.
My guesstimate was accurate :p But I couldn't tell what kind of interior I am sure you could get upper 6s to 7 if it is leather and in half decent shape.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sickness7
My guesstimate was accurate :p But I couldn't tell what kind of interior I am sure you could get upper 6s to 7 if it is leather and in half decent shape.
It's cloth and in good shape. Have a dash cap on it. Here is a pic before the custom mats.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I can't imagine any car with that kind of mileage selling for over 'book'. You can downplay the mileage all you want. No harm in asking what ever price you like, maybe you can find a who doesn't know better. GLWS!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I can't imagine any car with that kind of mileage selling for over 'book'. You can downplay the mileage all you want. No harm in asking what ever price you like, maybe you can find a who doesn't know better. GLWS!
You clearly don't know Texas buyers. I sold my 97 Cobra with 165k on it and horrid paint for over book. I sell 200-300K mile cars/trucks off my lot all of the time, so long as they're clean and running, the miles don't affect the sales.

As for "Book Value". KBB lists it at 3K, which I can get from parting out the damned drivetrain, much less the roller, edmunds is even more insane at $1700. It may go by book value in your state, but I've never seen a 6 speed LS1 car go for less than $4k here, regardless of miles and condition.

Bottom line, if I had it up for $3k, I would have 50 buyers, all dealers, begging me to hold it until they could get to it.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

If you know already, then why are you asking here?? On top of that, why is a dealer asking?? You obviously have all the answers and everyone else is wrong, from NADA to to KBB to my 18 years of F-body experience.
I also don't care what state you live in. I would never recommend to anyone to pay over 'book' for a car approaching 200k miles within a year's time. If you sell for over 'book', good for you, and condolences to the buyers. No one will convince me otherwise. I'm done here. I'll save my solid advice for those that need it and appreciate it. I take this section seriously, not as a shill for a dealer.

Last edited by NC01TA; 08-18-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Finished with this one
Old 08-18-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you know already, then why are you asking here?? On top of that, why is a dealer asking?? You obviously have all the answers and everyone else is wrong, from NADA to to KBB to my 18 years of F-body experience.
I also don't care what state you live in. I would never recommend to anyone to pay over 'book' for a car approaching 200k miles within a year's time. If you sell for over 'book', good for you, and condolences to the buyers. No one will convince me otherwise.
Butt hurt much? Like I said, I have a number in my head, but I'm getting a second opinion. One guy says 6-8K, which I believe is high, another says 3k, which I think is low. Clearly you and your 18 years experience aren't "everyone'. I check with real world sources because books don't hand out cash, it's just a guideline.

I'm not selling this as a dealer, it's my personal car and has been for the last year.

As for the condolences to my buyers, I'll state this as simply as possible. **** you. I don't know how you maintain your ****, but I keep my cars in 100% running condition. I have a very good reputation in my area.

I don't care if I convince you or not since you're clearly not a buyer, but LS1 Fbodies with higher miles than mine go for more than book value through auctions.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Keep in mind I live in Canada where high mileage f bodies sell for 9+
Old 08-19-2014, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm done here. I'll save my solid advice for those that need it and appreciate it. I take this section seriously, not as a shill for a dealer.
Nice edit, too chicken to reply directly? Didn't realize that a mans profession carried over into his personal life. Just because I own a dealership doesn't mean that my personal car is a quick flip. And to make you look more like the jackass that you are, here is the for sale ad from when I bought the car. Note that it has 10K more miles now and it's actually in better condition now than when I bought it. Dash is fixed, a/c is fixed, new tires, check engine light is off, new suspension, etc.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...ormula-la.html

I appreciate the advice, but I don't appreciate a tantrum when I don't agree with it.

Originally Posted by Sickness7
Keep in mind I live in Canada where high mileage f bodies sell for 9+
Yeah, different regions do different things for prices, which is why I'm in this area to begin with.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
As for the condolences to my buyers, I'll state this as simply as possible. **** you.
This was uncalled for, and this thread is now over.

There is no reason to get combative over a difference in opinion when the entire point of a thread in this section IS for opinions. Respectful/mature debate and disagreement is expected in this section, but that does not include attacking other members simply because you disagree with an opinion that you have solicited by posting such a thread.

I understand this sort of thing can get somewhat heated, but this one went a bit too far.

Quick Reply: 98 Formula value?