What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

needing some opinions on value

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needing some opinions on value

Ok guys so I need a good range in value of my car as opinions from you guys,i have a 1998 Camaro Z28/SS as I'm sure quite a few of you also have,shows 76k miles on the odometer,clean title,clean carfax,IMMACULATE interior (no rips or tears or color fade in any of the leather,no cracks in the dash or plastics,very nice and expensive sound system professionally installed (7 speakers,tweeter,highs,mids,mini woofers)and 2 jl audio subs all ran to 2 different amps,I had the entire chassis and suspension custom rebuilt with pretty much everything you can think of for drag and street purpose with a full bilstein shock system,Brembo front and rear calipers with ceramic pads,drilled and slotted rotors,racing hubs and bearings,complete racing steering system for street and strip with locking pinion (for drag use),fully built ls6 swap straight from an 04 c5 zo6 (aggressive cams,ported heads,ls6 intake,maf,underdrive pulley,pacesetter long tubes,magnaflo exhaust kit (cat delete)evap delete,all the free mods all the bolt ons,etc.)mounted to a Borg Warner Tremec level 6 t56 tranny with full stage 3 spec clutch kit,tick performance adjustable MC,Hurst short shift,skip shift delete and traction control delete,no roll cages,no body kits,no ridiculousness,6000k lows and fog lights,it is ready for both a supercharger and 200 shot of nitrous,already pre-installed nitrous switch and button,I think that's all,anyways what would be a good range to put on my camaro price wise?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Default needing some opinions on value

Ok guys so I need a good range in value of my car as opinions from you guys,i have a 1998 Camaro Z28/SS as I'm sure quite a few of you also have,shows 76k miles on the odometer,clean title,clean carfax,IMMACULATE interior (no rips or tears or color fade in any of the leather,no cracks in the dash or plastics,very nice and expensive sound system professionally installed (7 speakers,tweeter,highs,mids,mini woofers)and 2 jl audio subs all ran to 2 different amps,I had the entire chassis and suspension custom rebuilt with pretty much everything you can think of for drag and street purpose with a full bilstein shock system,Brembo front and rear calipers with ceramic pads,drilled and slotted rotors,racing hubs and bearings,complete racing steering system for street and strip with locking pinion (for drag use),fully built ls6 swap straight from an 04 c5 zo6 (aggressive cams,ported heads,ls6 intake,maf,underdrive pulley,pacesetter long tubes,magnaflo exhaust kit (cat delete)evap delete,all the free mods all the bolt ons,etc.)mounted to a Borg Warner Tremec level 6 t56 tranny with full stage 3 spec clutch kit,tick performance adjustable MC,Hurst short shift,skip shift delete and traction control delete,no roll cages,no body kits,no ridiculousness,6000k lows and fog lights,it is ready for both a supercharger and 200 shot of nitrous,already pre-installed nitrous switch and button,I think that's all,anyways what would be a good range to put on my camaro price wise?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

holy crap thats a ton of **** lol.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Lmao yeah its been my #1 project for 2 years now lol and finally done,well besides the supercharger and nitrous haha,but now I have my first child on the way so I need to sell or trade this one,kinda why the supercharger and nitrous isn't done yet,but I wanted to know a good range on value for it,I mean I can say what I have in it but I know I'll never get that back bit I also don't wanna get ripped off that's why I'm asking on here from people alike who know asking bout these cars but what I should price it at
Old 11-17-2014, 07:25 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yessir, not engine related so now it's here in the Camaro section.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Ok so anyone know a good value?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its gonna be hard to put a value on the car cause its so highly modified
If you find the right buyer that knows what you have and wants a highly modded car maybe $12-14K????
In the real world its a borderline drag car so $10k??
Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Ok,not arguing here at all,so this is a western not arguement,but $10k for a car with $50k+ in it?I was thinking at LEAST $20k-$25k being that's less then half of what's in it on top of kbb
Old 11-17-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CodyCamaro13
Ok,not arguing here at all,so this is a western not arguement,but $10k for a car with $50k+ in it?I was thinking at LEAST $20k-$25k being that's less then half of what's in it on top of kbb
KBB doesn't apply to your car anymore
Unfortunately the car is worth more if you part it out than it would ever be as a whole. Like I said, find the right buyer and you may get lucky.
Its not a high end low 9 second race car but its to modified to be a comfortable driving street car. Kinda stuck in the middle...
Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

It's worth that money but very few have $20,000 cash laying around that wants that type of heavily modified car. The buyers market is extremely limited for a car like yours and finding a buyer in that price range will be very tough. I know that isn't what you want to hear but reality is a tough pill to swallow sometimes. All you can do is try. Maybe someone is out there that wants exactly what you have. You will never know without trying an ad. Just don't expect it.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Unfortuntely, you have a situation where the finished product is worth less than the sum of its parts.

I agree with the above, that you'd be better off going back to stock with the car, selling it as a demodded stock car, and selling the parts separately. That's a TON of hassle, but the best hope of recovering the most possible cash if that is your priority. In reality, you don't normally get even half of what the modifications cost when new, maybe 25% would be more accurate and even then some extensive and/or polarizing modifications will actually lower value to many buyers.

Without seeing any pictures, I think ~$15k is going to be the ceiling for a car like this, maybe a bit more or less depending on location/local cost of living and attention to detail within the build and overall condition. The extensive modifications and upper 5-digit mileage will keep the collectors away, and right now the collector examples are generally the only ones selling in your proposed price range. At this point you are looking at a very specific, very limited group of buyers and getting it sold for your proposed price range may take a very long time, if ever.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A stock '98 SS with 76K miles in very, very nice condition is probably at most $8K. Now if you wanted a superbly mint '98 SS with 15K miles, you can probably buy that car for $12K to $13K. That's what the buyers/collectors are looking for. And once into the $20K to $25K there are numerous high demand cars that can be purchased with even lower miles ('99 and '02 WS6 anniv cars, very limited production GMMG cars, Firehawks, etc.). Had you chosen an '02 WS6 SOM with <40K miles it's possible you could have found a buyer at $20K or more. But a '98 SS with 76K miles starts $7K to $8K less and is under much less demand. The more specific you make a project, the less the demand there is for it. I would agree with the $15K level being about top dollar. There are just too many really nice, low mileage original cars out there for potential buyers to choose from. But, there could always be the one guy who plans to do the same mods you just did and would be happy to spend $20K upfront before shelling out >2X that amount.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-19-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Firebrian
A stock '98 SS with 76K miles in very, very nice condition is probably at most $8K. Now if you wanted a superbly mint '98 SS with 15K miles, you can probably buy that car for $12K to $13K. That's what the buyers/collectors are looking for. And once into the $20K to $25K there are numerous high demand cars that can be purchased with even lower miles ('99 and '02 WS6 anniv cars, very limited production GMMG cars, Firehawks, etc.). Had you chosen an '02 WS6 SOM with <40K miles it's possible you could have found a buyer at $20K or more. But a '98 SS with 76K miles starts $7K to $8K less and is under much less demand. The more specific you make a project, the less the demand there is for it. I would agree with the $15K level being about top dollar. There are just too many really nice, low mileage original cars out there for potential buyers to choose from. But, there could always be the one guy who plans to do the same mods you just did and would be happy to spend $20K upfront before shelling out >2X that amount.
That was pretty much what I was expecting to be honest,I just wanted to know,I mean I figured having all this stuff done to it I could find someone to pay way less then what's in it for my asking price because I know alot of people don't want to shell out $40k-$50k or more to modify a car,that's why I figured my asking price wasn't TO high,but again that's why I posted on here do I could get some opinions,so you guys think I should put it up for $15k-$20k?to be honest I'm really looking to just trade someone for a fast 4 door car like a G8 or something ya know,think that's a good start?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Put it out for trade and ask $20K or best offer and see what happens
You might score a nice trade
Post some pics up and lets see what this beast looks like

Quick Reply: needing some opinions on value