What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

02 SOM WS6 Vert 42,XXX miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015 | 01:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Probably so. Addressing the 1993-1997 cars is another story unto itself. A lot of those being "saved" started getting driven a lot more when the LS-1's showed up. The fact that the horsepower wars have continued is probably placing a ceiling on the prices of the 4th gens forever.
I don't see any long term collector value in the '93-'97 cars, outside of the LT4 examples due to the unparalleled amount of modification that was done to those cars as compared to any other "factory" 4th gen. A close friend currently has a '96 SS for sale with under 4k miles on it, it's got all the popular options and plenty of SLP content but there is no demand for it. I believe that 1996, as an overall model year where SS was offered, is the most rare year of Camaro SS in history, but nobody seems to care - or at least they don't place much value on this. Most people who want a 4th gen want an LS1, that isn't going to change IMO. Personally I have nothing against the LT1 cars and would be proud to own a nice one, but their lower stock performance (as compared to their LS1 conterparts) will always hurt their value in comparison, regardless of production rarity.

Originally Posted by Firebrian
It was one thing when Detroit was putting out mostly dogs from 1975-1992. The old 1960's muscle was actually a stronger car even 20 years later. Not any more. That's what got me into classic muscle cars in 1992. The old muscle cars were mostly faster than what Detroit was putting out....at a lot less money. My first car in 1992 was a 383 Roadrunner 4 speed with 3.55 gears...a solid rust free, #'s matching car for $3,000! It had a freshly built 383 that must have been pushing an additional 30-50 hp over the stock 335 hp (gross) rating (and those were underrated to give the 440 Magnum more bragging rights). That $3K went a lot further than say a $35K 1992 Vette....or a year later the 1993 Trans Am (275 hp net) came out for around $22K. And today? That $3K roadrunner with 65K miles today is a $15K-$20K car. This time around I bought the 1999 SS with 12K miles for $12K. The tables flipped around. The newer car is now the better performance deal imo. Both cars probably depreciate similarly if driven the same miles.

If 400-700 hp cars continue to be the norm, who is really going to care about a 350 hp WS6 or SS in 15-30 years? There's always going to be a nostalgic seat at the table for a 1969 Hemi Charger or a 1970 Chevelle SS 454. I don't know about a 2002 SOM WS6 or even a CETA. It's quite possible our typically "nice" 4th gens will never get out of the $10K-$20K range again....barring some type of incredible price inflation.
On this point we definitely agree, especially the bolded area, and that was part of the point I tried to touch on above; the climate likely won't ever exist for any of these cars [4th gens] to skyrocket in value regardless of their rarity. They will never be the 426 Hemi or 454 LS6 cars of the future, just a page in the chapter of a return to decent factory performance. A rare color or an optional extra cost cosmetic trim package doesn't separate two cars of the same make and model the way that a 350-2bbl vs. a 454/450hp enigne does.

The popularity of LSx conversions into older '60s/'70s models will continue to keep hobbyist interest in the classics, even as the older crowd (those guys who've paid 6-figures for SS454 Chevelles) dies off. The future for the classics is still strong, I see it every week at my local cruise nights. What I *don't* see is much interest in the 4th gens...at all really. I attend events with as many as 200-400 cars, and sometimes I'm the only 4th gen in sight, or one of just a handful. Will there be a renaissance? Doubtful; the average enthusiast seems more interested in the affordable performance and swapability (is that a word?...perhaps it should be) of Gen III SBC engines than the cars in which they originally came.

Quick Reply: 02 SOM WS6 Vert 42,XXX miles