What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What is this car worth? I want it possibly. 99 trans am medium blue

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this car worth? I want it possibly. 99 trans am medium blue

I am curious, what is a seriously fair value for this car? I'm thinking 7k maybe 7500?
Guy wants 9k see any issues with this car? Opinions comments, avoid or take? It's beautiful. I would prefer 3.40 or 3.73 gears, how much to change it to those?

I have around 8k to play with, or should I wait for a better car? I really like the color. But can't justify paying a high premium for it. Any other color what would this be worth?

Here is ad.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Anyone..?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Car looks clean and modded somewhat. What stands out to me is:

Stock Clutch
Stock MC
Stock Rear with Gears ( asking for trouble in a M6)
No lowering springs
No LCAs, PHB, or TA
High Mileage

If this was a 50-75k mile car I'd pay closer to what he wants as the color is rare and is worth a premium
Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Teching In

so it's possible it won't hold up. Awh. It's beautiful, I would change 4.10 to 3.40 gearing or something close as I use highway.
I really was tempted to get 7.5-8k together but I don't want a car that won't be reliable for my weekend cruiser in summer.

It's so gorgeousness !

Now.. Do you think il ever find an wd6 00-02 for 8k price range? Because it's about my budget. I want an 02 silver ws6 but I saw this and it really tempted me.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This blue car is a stunner. The 156K miles is WAY to high for the asking price. At $9K I'd expect no more than 90K miles, and that would still be a strong price. This car is going to need a lot of tlc now or very soon....and probably why the owner is dumping it. The mods don't help it any. I recall a very fresh 90K mile purple M6 TA for sale on here in 2014 that sold for $8000. And that car had numerous fresh upgrades (brakes, suspension, tires, etc.). That was a stunning car too that the owner did right by.

$8K for a WS6 would get you something with 100K miles or more. Again, you could be chasing after your tail on repairs. I'd suggest passing on what looks cool and get a '98-'00 Z28, SS or TA in solid 1-2 owner condition with 50K-75K miles. For $8K you can find a Z28 A4 with 20K-30K miles. And that car will hold its value and be far easier to sell than a 156K mile, modified med blue TA. If you want an M6 add another $1K to $2K to those figures, maybe more. Clean, lower mileage M6's don't seen to show up very often under $10K. If you're observant and check every day for 12 months, you just might score one for $8K. Spend the extra few thousand for a cleaner, lower mileage car, it will be worth it in the long run. 50K less miles for $3K-$4K more is a bargain imo. This blue car in another color would probably worth no more than $5K-$6K.

Last edited by Firebrian; 10-28-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I needed to make me realize it's not worth it.
I will save up and get a TA or ws6, m6 is a must, t top as well. I'm not a camaro fan as much as the TA. I do know I want the ram air good on whatever I get.

Thanks! Maybe prices drop for winter. I made an ad her maybe il find one by next year.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
This blue car is a stunner. The 156K miles is WAY to high for the asking price. At $9K I'd expect no more than 90K miles, and that would still be a strong price. This car is going to need a lot of tlc now or very soon....and probably why the owner is dumping it. The mods don't help it any. I recall a very fresh 90K mile purple M6 TA for sale on here in 2014 that sold for $8000. And that car had numerous fresh upgrades (brakes, suspension, tires, etc.). That was a stunning car too that the owner did right by.

$8K for a WS6 would get you something with 100K miles or more. Again, you could be chasing after your tail on repairs. I'd suggest passing on what looks cool and get a '98-'00 Z28, SS or TA in solid 1-2 owner condition with 50K-75K miles. For $8K you can find a Z28 A4 with 20K-30K miles. And that car will hold its value and be far easier to sell than a 156K mile, modified med blue TA. If you want an M6 add another $1K to $2K to those figures, maybe more. Clean, lower mileage M6's don't seen to show up very often under $10K. If you're observant and check every day for 12 months, you just might score one for $8K. Spend the extra few thousand for a cleaner, lower mileage car, it will be worth it in the long run. 50K less miles for $3K-$4K more is a bargain imo. This blue car in another color would probably worth no more than $5K-$6K.
I agree especially in bold.

Mileage doesn't scare me if you can tell it was taken care of and they have receipts. I still say he has it priced too high

Do a Richard Rawlings impersonation and offer $5500 lmao
Old 10-28-2015, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Winter prices in your area should drop things by 5-15%....figure on 10% (Nov-Mar). With luck you could score a 50K-60K mile M6 Pontiac for $8K. If it's clean, quiet trans, and shifts like a dream, it's worth a premium imo. I'd rather have a quiet 55K mile car than a noisy/rattly 35K mile one....though the price guides would disagree with me....lol. Don't jump on something that isn't just what you're looking for. Invariably, the exact right car will show up the month after you bought another one.

The medium blue '99, is it repainted? That's awfully nice looking for 156K miles on factory paint. My thoughts would be repainted. And then you'd have to be sure it wasn't a more common color to begin with. If that's factory paint, someone took great care with it. Regardless, 156K miles and the beating on the rear end with 4.10 gears and an M6 is not a good combo. I don't get the idea of putting a fresh, stout cam and rear gear in a 156K mile car unless your intent is to kill it. Did you ask if the engine, trans, and even rear end might have been rebuilt? Is it a 10 bolt rear or an upgrade? That would make the car worth the $9K imo, though you'd still be nickled and dimed as everything else in the car that's 156K miles continues to fail (AC, heating and cooling, electrical, etc.). I wonder how many window motors that car has seen? Owner puts a fresh cam in the car (for a reason) and now they're bored with it? The infatuation period didn't last long for them. The value of a med blue '99 with 156K miles is not rising each year, unless you're dumping $500 or more in fresh $$ into it each year.

Last edited by Firebrian; 10-28-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a 1 owner 1999 WS6 M6 with 49K mi out of New Jersey with a starting bid of $10K. Not even a single bid with only 11 hrs to go. I guess the front bumper being hit and replaced is scaring people away. Doesn't seem like a bad price to me. I've known some people that paid $10K for 100K mile cars. It's also the much rarer Formula hardtop version with cloth interior. That would be a turnoff to the leather TTop crowd. But, for the go-fast guys, this car would be ideal. It's 20X rarer than a regular WS6 ttop/big rear spoiler car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fire...m=331685779352
Old 10-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Yeah I was really set on
02 ws6 m6 t tops leather, short shifter, exhaust and nice wheels. With the mods to prevent door panels from cracking and the headlights motor gears etc changed the common issues on the car resolved
Old 10-29-2015, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Yeah I was really set on
02 ws6 m6 t tops leather, short shifter, exhaust and nice wheels. With the mods to prevent door panels from cracking and the headlights motor gears etc changed the common issues on the car resolved
As I often say, the car you have described is exactly what the majority of LS1 F-body shoppers would be most interested in, so you won't find any stellar deals on such a car because there is plenty of purchase competition. It's certainly not a rare car respective to 4th gens, there were plenty of them built as compared to some other configurations, their value comes purely from popularity/demand.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
As I often say, the car you have described is exactly what the majority of LS1 F-body shoppers would be most interested in, so you won't find any stellar deals on such a car because there is plenty of purchase competition. It's certainly not a rare car respective to 4th gens, there were plenty of them built as compared to some other configurations, their value comes purely from popularity/demand.

Think 10k-11k will get me a good car? I honestly have 7-8k now.. but I am going to save up and maybe during winter get one.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Here's a 1 owner 1999 WS6 M6 with 49K mi out of New Jersey with a starting bid of $10K. Not even a single bid with only 11 hrs to go. I guess the front bumper being hit and replaced is scaring people away. Doesn't seem like a bad price to me. I've known some people that paid $10K for 100K mile cars. It's also the much rarer Formula hardtop version with cloth interior. That would be a turnoff to the leather TTop crowd. But, for the go-fast guys, this car would be ideal. It's 20X rarer than a regular WS6 ttop/big rear spoiler car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fire...m=331685779352
It got a single bid at the $10K starting point....and apparently it sold...for now. Looks like a good car for $10K imo if a replaced front bumper doesn't bother you. Not a '02 though. Figure another $2K-$3K above the price of this '99 to snare one of those.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely love that color. I almost bought one like 13 years ago with 5 k miles but went with the arctic white I have now because it sold.

Id personally pay 7k for it if it was in really really nice shape with factory paint. But then again I love that color.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great color on that car but $9500 OBO asking price is wishful thinking. You have cash in hand and it is getting to be a great time of year to find yourself a great deal on a car like that. Cast your net a bit wider and expand your search area. Here are a few examples from my area that I would consider looking into:

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/5263409803.html This is exactly the kind of car that I would be interested in, one that appears to have been well cared for and up to date on all of its maintenance. Probably older guy owned. Miles are good, especially if well cared for miles, and the price is right.

http://flint.craigslist.org/cto/5287097738.html This one is obviously not kept up as well as the above car, but it does have lowish miles and the price is not bad for a 6 speed car. I would be skeptically interested in this one but it may turn out to be a solid car that just needs some TLC.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/5211073021.html This one appears to be pretty clean. The price is a bit high for the miles but the ad for the car was posted two months ago and updated 25 days ago. It may still be for sale and if it is, they may be willing to move a good amount on the price.

These are just a few examples of what I see for sale regularly here in Michigan on Craigslist. Obviously you need to do your homework and get lots of pictures, videos, phone time and possibly a third party inspection if considering a car out of state but it can be a lot of fun taking a road trip and driving your new car home.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL!!

That is what I get for posting after being up late with a sick kid. Not one of the above cars is a WS6 as per the OP's original specification. More coffee, please.