What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Firebird Formula worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Firebird Formula worth?

I have a 1998 Firebird formula with 36,700 original miles. Always garage kept, always kept in amazing condition. What is my vehicle worth?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Formula is tricky, it's less sought after than the trans am, the auto hurts it too. That said you do have a nice color and nice miles.

Kbb is $6500
NADA is $7500
Edmunds TMV is $5000

I think all three of those are full of ****. $8k-$9k is probably more accurate.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:18 PM

Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Firebird worths

Thanks for the valuation. I may have to reconsider my asking price of 13k
Old 02-03-2016, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Storcacveirs
Thanks for the valuation. I may have to reconsider my asking price of 13k
I'm hardly an expert and cars like yours are pretty rare. I would wait for someone else to chime in before lowering, it really is a beautiful car.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If it helps any the first LS1 I considered back in November 2011 was a silver 2002 Trans Am A4 with 48K one owner miles that was superb. It looked closer to 20K miles, including the engine bay. The dealer was asking $11,500 and I was at $10,500. We couldn't get together on price. That's probably a $10K or so car today. And with the 4 additional model years over a 1998, the 2002 T/A is probably worth more even with higher miles than a '98 Formula.

Overall $8K-$10K for your car seems reasonable. Ask $11K. Try to get $10K. And if you have to, accept $9K. It's not easy to find a base model 1998 either. $9K seems sort of cheap for a quality, problem free, 1 owner, non-TTop car. I think they are sort of sleepers. And they have less features to go wrong than the upgraded cars....lighter too which is a big plus to some people. I wouldn't mind one of those with manual windows, seats, and mirrors if they sold such a thing. The automatic doesn't bother me in the least. It just makes the car worth $1K-$1.5K less than an M6.

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-04-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

If it's a one owner, stock, garage-kept, and well maintained Formula with records, I would personally pay right up to $10,000 for your car. I don't like 6 speed manuals so the automatic would be perfectly fine to me (and others) with no discount applicable. If there are issues, too many mods, or the car needs tires, etc.. then $10k is too high. I'm giving you a perfect scenario for a stock excellent example of a Formula. Your photo looks very good, and the Goodyear tires are an indication that the owner (you) isn't cheap with his car. Like Firebrian above, I would also ask $11,000 to allow for those negotiations. $13k is a bit too high and I possibly wouldn't even respond to an ad like that with such a wide price spread. Your ad and asking price need to be appealing. Make sure you stress all the positives in your ad. One owner, garage kept, maintenance records, low miles are all HUGE turn ons for many people as long as it is accurate of course. GLWS!!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
If it's a one owner, stock, garage-kept, and well maintained Formula with records, I would personally pay right up to $10,000 for your car. I don't like 6 speed manuals so the automatic would be perfectly fine to me (and others) with no discount applicable. If there are issues, too many mods, or the car needs tires, etc.. then $10k is too high. I'm giving you a perfect scenario for a stock excellent example of a Formula. Your photo looks very good, and the Goodyear tires are an indication that the owner (you) isn't cheap with his car. Like Firebrian above, I would also ask $11,000 to allow for those negotiations. $13k is a bit too high and I possibly wouldn't even respond to an ad like that with such a wide price spread. Your ad and asking price need to be appealing. Make sure you stress all the positives in your ad. One owner, garage kept, maintenance records, low miles are all HUGE turn ons for many people as long as it is accurate of course. GLWS!!
I agree on all counts. Automatic is more desirable to me as well, so if you find the right buyer you won't have to worry about discounting the price for the trans type. All depends on how quick you want/need to sell.

A $13k ask would scare a lot of people away I think, I probably wouldn't bother contacting the seller at that price either. $11k would be more reasonable, and I think a final sale in the $8500-10,000 range would be a good, fair target for both buyer and seller. Hard to nail down an exact number without seeing the car in person as not everyone has the same definition of "excellent condition", plus there are some regional value differences.

A hardtop, cloth interior, auto trans Formula isn't the most popular model (most shoppers would be looking more for a Trans Am with T-tops, leather and an M6), so it might take some time to find a buyer. But there are some of us out there who actually prefer a car like yours over the more popularly optioned Trans Ams.

Quick Reply: 1998 Firebird Formula worth?