What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Insurance value on totaled 99 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Insurance value on totaled 99 T/A

So, NADA lists my car at 6500 for clean retail, and kbb list for about 5100. Mine was still in great condition body wise, seats were mildly worn on driver's bolster, typical dash/door panel stuff. I was rear ended this week, and am unsure what to expect. Total loss. I have the NADA sheet and some local, similar mileage examples in hand should I feel I need it. Most are 6-7K range. I had collision/comprehensive full coverage. For those with experience, how bad should I expect for them to try to screw me?

I do plan on buying the car back regardless since I just had the T56 rebuilt to stage two specs less than 10K miles ago. And will part the rest. Thanks

Last edited by flyboy129; 07-09-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: More research
Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 454 Likes on 329 Posts

Good documentation really helps! You have done your homework with book values and real world values.
My experiences over the years (learned from others with truly decent cars) have taught me to reject the initial offer. Be polite and tell them nicely that the offer is unacceptable and that a review is needed. Most of the time they will bring back a higher offer. If still unacceptable, and you truly are getting screwed, tell them that you will need to consult with the family attorney to get further advice. This would be a bluff on your part but shows seriousness if you remain calm and show no urgency. Insurance companies like to settle and avoid attorneys. That's a well known fact. Best of luck!!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Good documentation really helps! You have done your homework with book values and real world values.
My experiences over the years (learned from others with truly decent cars) have taught me to reject the initial offer. Be polite and tell them nicely that the offer is unacceptable and that a review is needed. Most of the time they will bring back a higher offer. If still unacceptable, and you truly are getting screwed, tell them that you will need to consult with the family attorney to get further advice. This would be a bluff on your part but shows seriousness if you remain calm and show no urgency. Insurance companies like to settle and avoid attorneys. That's a well known fact. Best of luck!!
Thanks! Seems similar to what I've already read. I figure if I can get about $3500-$4000 and keep my car, I'll be pleased. I am looking to get between 3-4K from parts off of my beloved machine, not to mention be miles ahead with my 6 speed.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Well, I settled today and was shocked. They had my car valued at $7600! The claims officer was also grateful for my dashcam footage since the other company is trying to balk. So, I kept my car to part out and walked away with $5500. Win, win scenario. I am satisfied. In other news, I am purchasing 2000 WS6 M6 this weekend with 112K on it and stock everything. Needs a little tlc from teenager neglect after he got it from his grandmother.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 413 Likes on 293 Posts

What kind of dash cam did you have?

I have been thinking of adding one.

Good to hear on your claim though!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

My wife and I both have the Cobra CDR840 https://www.cobra.com/products/dash-cams/cdr-840 You can get them at electronics express (sometimes on sale at around $120)
Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Car was delivered to the house today. I got the driver's door open, beat the quarter back so it will close easily, pulled any fuse that related to rear/marker lighting, charged the battery, and she fired right up. I knew she would. Shifted through the gears fine and turned it around so the damage isn't visible from the road. So, everything looks and feels good so far. I live in a rural area, so may pull the rear bumper off, make a little more clearance around the exhaust outlets, and slowly take it for a short drive and verify the trans a bit better soon.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 454 Likes on 329 Posts

Nice going with the insurance claim. Glad it worked out.

Quick Reply: Insurance value on totaled 99 T/A