What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Camaro Z28 - PA

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1998 Camaro Z28 - PA

1998 Camaro Z28 LS1 V8, 6 Speed Manual, Black, Leather, T-Tops, 85K miles

Second owner. This car has every option except SS or convertible. Preferred group 1, leather seats, power driver seat, traction control (ASR), limited slip (posi), T-tops, Monsoon, remote entry, alarm, all power, cruise, a/c, etc. Few modifications (LS1 Motorsports airbox, K&N airfilter, FRA, SLP short throw shifter & short throw stick, SLP 2 On The Left stainless steel catback exhaust, SLP 17" SS Rims, SS spoiler, front KVR cross drilled rotors and pads, w/silver coated calipers and mounts, driver side lumbar airbag, strut tower bar, skip shift eliminated, 20% tint, slp bowtie grill.

Have original airbox, shifter, spoiler, stock grill and wheels (16" 5 stars w/BFG VFR4s). All parts go with the car.

The bad: A 18" scratch not completely through paint on the passenger side 1/4 panel and there is also a small ding on the same quarter panel. The tires have about 80% tread left but are starting to dry rot.

Last edited by Camaro8509; 08-15-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

With the issues you describe (tires too) I believe KBB is going to be quite close. Not many want to pay over book, then start throwing serious money into a car. $600+ for a set of tires and hundreds more for the paint/body repair plus any other things that always pop up with 85k miles cars. Having a manual tranny will add some $$$ but how much? Any issues with the clutch or tranny? The running condition and maintenance history haven't been mentioned either. Are all the fluids done or are another few hundred dollars needed for rear end, power steering, brakes, coolant flushes. So many concerns that all affect the wallet, especially if a shop is needed.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I figure $7500 to $8500 for a fully serviced Z28 M6 at 85K miles with nothing to do but drive it. It may be that the extra SS parts you have added (and the orig Z28 factory parts) might compensate somewhat for the scratch, dent, and tires. KBB is a bit light on the mileage premium for a stock 85K mile car. And it also gives no value for upgrades or an M6. Figure 10% over KBB for a properly functioning M6. Clean M6's with mid miles (55K to 95K) aren't that easy to find....usually because of the "clean" part....particularly documented, 1-2 owner cars. Most of them have been hot-rodded by this mileage. Thar appears to be a very short shifter on your car. I have a Hurst short-throw (circa 1999) on mine and it's about a 6" length vs. the stock 8-9" as I recall. Yours looks to be about a 3-5"

What do buyers want to pay? If you mean your typical tire kicker (80% of buyers) then probably $5K to $7K. There have been some recent WIW threads on similar cars to yours. Check them out

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-15-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Clean M6's with mid miles (55K to 95K) aren't that easy to find....
I seem to find them about twice as often as A4s in a similar range, at least locally, though the M6 is still more valuable/desirable on the general market even though they seem more in abundance. They were more often someone's "toy" than the auto cars, keeping mileage lower, and are more desirable for the same reason.

But in general my thoughts are mostly in line with this:

Originally Posted by NC01TA
....Having a manual tranny will add some $$$ but how much? Any issues with the clutch or tranny? The running condition and maintenance history haven't been mentioned either. Are all the fluids done or are another few hundred dollars needed for rear end, power steering, brakes, coolant flushes. So many concerns that all affect the wallet, especially if a shop is needed.
In addition to the issues mentioned, I can see that the headlights are in need of some restoration - there may be other areas in need of attention that have not been listed in the description (...how are the seats? The leather is notoriously delicate on these cars, often ripped or worn by this mileage/age, nothing is shown or mentioned about this either way. If the leather is in rough shape, it will be a negative asset.)

There are some positives regarding the aftermarket add-ons, such as the grille, exhaust and wheels specifically. Those are all generally desirable. As mentioned above, they may make up for some of the value lost on the cosmetic issues.

It's a '98 so assuming a pre-May build date, it won't have the bubbling roof in need of replacement. That's a big bonus for those of us who are aware of this issue. But some shoppers don't like '98s due to the one-year only computer and a few other items that are subjectively good/bad/neutral.

Overall I think it is of average value for your region but will need an attractive price if you want a reasonably quick sale. The $5-7k mentioned by Firebrian is likely a reasonable target range.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Thar appears to be a very short shifter on your car. I have a Hurst short-throw (circa 1999) on mine and it's about a 6" length vs. the stock 8-9" as I recall. Yours looks to be about a 3-5"
Its a lou's short throw stick
Old 08-15-2016, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In addition to the issues mentioned, I can see that the headlights are in need of some restoration - there may be other areas in need of attention that have not been listed in the description (...how are the seats? The leather is notoriously delicate on these cars, often ripped or worn by this mileage/age, nothing is shown or mentioned about this either way. If the leather is in rough shape, it will be a negative asset.)

It's a '98 so assuming a pre-May build date, it won't have the bubbling roof in need of replacement. That's a big bonus for those of us who are aware of this issue. But some shoppers don't like '98s due to the one-year only computer and a few other items that are subjectively good/bad/neutral.
My interior is 95% perfect. I added pictures in the original post (taken today).

I just bought headlight restorer but more importantly I have the original headlights and tail lights in a box in the garage. The headlights (whistler modded) and taillights (lightly VHT) on the car were spares I bought to play around with.

It has T-Tops so I don't have to worry about bubbling.

I also have the original window sticker, build sheet and that car has had all needed and required maintenance.

Last edited by Camaro8509; 08-15-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

The interior looks very nice for the mileage. Seats are in better shape than the miles would often suggest. Either restoring the current headlights or going back to the originals (if still in good shape) would really make the car look so much nicer.

Originally Posted by Camaro8509
It has T-Tops so I don't have to worry about bubbling.
This, however, is not the case. T-tops don't spare you from the issue on the portion of the roof that isn't glass. Every '99+ (and '98 cars built in 05/98 or later are hit-or-miss) F-body is subject to this problem unless it's a convertible. Hardtop/T-top makes no difference, it's all about build date (due to a process change at the factory.) Black examples and all V8 Camaros have it the worst due to having a black roof.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That interior is in fine ship for the mileage, possibly indicative of a car that saw mostly longer highway trips or light drivers. That dent looks very reachable from either the inner door panel or the door jamb. Possibly only $100-$200 to a good dent tech.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Back from the dead... I never sold the car. It now has 93,000 miles but other than that is identical to the original post. Whats a fair listing price? TIA
Old 05-14-2019, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Not much has changed price-wise. You had the opportunity to enjoy the car for 3 more years while the same pricing should be applicable.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

According to Hagerty valuation on a 1998 4th Gen Camaro Z28 has increased over the last three years. The 95,000 miles aren't attractive to the serious collectors but I think you might actually get a little more out of the car now than you would have three years ago.

In a nutshell...
#2 Excellent is a show winner on the local level
#3 Good is a nice car that needs a few things
#4 Runs & drives but needs a lot of mechanical & cosmetic love.

Sounds like your car is close to a #3 car maybe a little better etc if the headlights are nicely restored. I think $9,500 base then adding and subtracting according based on details of condition, maintenance needs and quality tires.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My red - 2 owner, 19K miles, stock 1999 Camaro SS M6 with TTops, cloth, performance exhaust and Auburn is worth around $11K-$12K to me. For 75K miles more I would subtract another $4500........or $6500-$7500 for a 95K mile M6 in decent condition with up to date maintenance. In the end, it comes down to the supply and demand in your local /.regional market. In some areas, it's hard to find a good running '98-02 4th gen M6.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro Z28 - PA