1999 Z28 m6 sport gold metallic - LS1TECH



What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1999 Z28 m6 sport gold metallic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 1,331
Default 1999 Z28 m6 sport gold metallic

hey guys,
I have a buddy of mine that has a 1999 z28 in the sport gold metallic. It's a 6 speed car. The car is a roller but from what I've read the car is extremely rare. They only made 5 sport Gold metallic z28's in 1999.

what do you think the car is worth. He isn't doing a thing with it and I was thinking about buying it and putting motor and trans in it
TwoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 22,698
Default

Not enough details here to really estimate a specific value. The value of a roller can range quite a bit depending on its condition, mileage, and what all is included (such as extensive chassis mods for racing, major axle upgrade, overall completeness of the car, etc.)

As for the rarity of the color, not much (if any) value can really be added in this case. It's just a base Z28 car and it's obviously not original since the engine/trans is missing. No telling what the miles or condition are, but at this point there isn't really any collector value to such a car, especially since SGM isn't one of the more desirable rare colors (compared to SOM or Hugger Orange.) 4th gens in general aren't highly collectible cars, especially lower trim levels and examples that aren't original and in #1 or #2 condition.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 1,331
Default

The car has 96k miles on it. Paint is in great shape except for the driver quarter panel that needs a blend due to previous owner fixing a basket ball size dent. Interior is in great shape. As far as I could tell the rear end is stock. Stock rims with all 4 tires with 50% tread.

He said he'd sell me the roller for $1000
TwoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Launching!
 
Bandits96ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 233
Default

As stated if you like the car buy it as not to many cars you can get in for $1000..this being said you will prob be at or around $5k even with a high mileage drop in or an lq build which all in all still isnt bad. But like RPM said if your buying this car thinking it is gonna be something someday then don't waste your time. There may be a few of these Fbodies that appreciate back towards the original sale price (LT4SS, Berger, etc..) but the majority of them I think will continue to be at or around today's market value or less. I have seen some smoken deals on SS cars lately with mid range mileage for well under 10k. As I advise anyone don't buy thinking your going to have a collectors item as you are only setting yourself up for disappointment in life. I just sold a pretty rare car in a 96 SS one of GM only plaqued cars a few weeks ago...I feel pretty comfortable in the next 10 years if I want one back it may take a little time just because they don't show up that often but should easily get one for 10,000.
Bandits96ss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFast View Post
hey guys,
I have a buddy of mine that has a 1999 z28 in the sport gold metallic. It's a 6 speed car. The car is a roller but from what I've read the car is extremely rare. They only made 5 sport Gold metallic z28's in 1999....
According to the site production list the number 5 is correct. But, they're all automatics. So not sure what to say about your M6. Supposedly, none were built. I would check your friend's door tags and VIN to ensure it's not a 1998, where over 400 in this color were made. A lone 1999 M6 might have some merit...someday. Or it was a 1999 A4 altered into an M6. 1 of 400 total (97+ M6's) in 1998 is not so special for a car that has lost its drive train and been hit.
Firebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chitown, IL
Posts: 1,524
Default

I sincerely doubt this will be worth any money in the future at all. if it is not a #1 condition car, with documented low mileage, there will not be a market for these like there is for the 1st gens. People will argue these will go up in price, but you can't compare a 60s car and what it did to change the world to v8 power vs. a run of the mill car that was outpaced by some sedans in it's heyday.

treat it like a hobby and do it if you want. A car is the LOWEST priority investment construct I would recommend to anyone. You will never see your money back.
merim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 501
Default

I studied and participated in the 1960's muscle car market run up from 1992-2007. Lots of cars in the 1960's that were considered "unworthy" around 1993-2002, have become quite worthy today, some of them lower hp V8's with nothing more than a unique color and low production. Frankly, I'm shocked at some of the cars I gave no credit for 10 years ago, are now in high demand and have doubled in price, while the cars that led the 1996-2007 rally have languished or retreated quite a ways.

Any 1 of 1 car "with a reason" will be "something" special one day. It took the 60's about 20-35 years to get that status. Expect that it might take the same time period for a unique 4th gen FBody. Today's recency bias no doubt is similar to the early 1980's when probably many people said those 1960's cars were nothing but scrap in the long run. I see this effect time and time again in numerous collectible markets that I have participated in since the early-1970's. Be careful when you say "never." I was saying "never" in the mid-1980's on a speciality of mine since the mid-1970's, because I lost focus. Those items I gave up on because they were stagnant for 10-15 yrs eventually moved up in price 20X to 30X from 1986-2006, most of it from 1996-2006. They always had a reason to rise in price. I just lost patience and listened to the "crowd."
Firebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chitown, IL
Posts: 1,524
Default

a 1993 car is 24 years old today. still going for 500-5k = will never be a 45k investment grade car. That is my point.

Also - all the smog of the 70s created the "old cars were faster and better made". Today that is simply not true with advances in tech.
merim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
Launching!
 
Bandits96ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 233
Default

I follow the late model (96+) scene pretty well and on a general perspective can say that things have shown a slight depreciation as of recent with both Fbodys, Cobra/Machs, C4 ZR1s, C5s, GTOs, etc... all shifting slightly. This being said I have seen some weird things as of late I just sold my 96 SS of which I was starting to get a lot of calls recently and even had someone pay me my original asking price after reducing a few times. I then have been monitoring LT1SS and WS6 cars and they have been on a slight trend increase. After dicussing with the buyer he suggested that these were the next market that was still reasonably priced and it made sense. Since then I have seen many mid mileage 96SS all over $10K of which if you told me a year ago I would say your drunk.

Anyway what I am trying to prove with this is that similar to the 80's models that somehow became desirable over night that I would have never in my life believed would reach the prices they have, I think these cars will see in the somewhat near future a decent bump in price but don't forsee them being the next Barrett Jackson craze.

I say this in that I personally feel unlike the muscle cars that there has been enough continuation in performance cars (i.e. 5th Gen Camaros, Challengers, Chargers, Chevy SS, etc...) that it creates a conflict that unlike in the mid to late 90's early 2000's there wasnt a lot of performance cars availalbe thus if you wanted a High Performance car you were basically between a new Vette or an older muscle car. In today's market there is so many used performance models that I am not sure there will be this revert to buy 4th Generation camaros. With 5th Gens, C6 vettes, Terminator Cobras dipping into the high Teen's and the contunied output by every manufacturer only getting "bigger, badder" cars on the market I just don't see 4th Gens becoming a viable market in the long run other than the few guys who want one just for nostalgia.
Bandits96ss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merim123 View Post
a 1993 car is 24 years old today. still going for 500-5k = will never be a 45k investment grade car. That is my point.

Also - all the smog of the 70s created the "old cars were faster and better made". Today that is simply not true with advances in tech.

The OP was talking about a roller SGM M6 car (1 of 1 built) that will cost $5K-$10K to make viable. We're not talking about whether a 600 mile "common" black WS6 M6 being offered for $32K will be worth $45K someday. It likely never will be worth even $30K any time in the future. But a 1 of 1, higher mileage, "off-beat" and "refreshed" SGM could easily be a $15K car 10-15 years from now. It's a personal choice if you want to put away such a car in storage for a decade or more. I wouldn't. Someone else might have the space. Who liked "panther pink" cars back in 1970-1971? Probably only "fools" if you asked around at that time. And even PP in a V6 Challenger/Barracuda is a highly desirable car today. I wouldn't sell short the low production, quirky colors used in the 1998-2000 LS1's.

I remember passing on a original paint, 22K mile 1970 '340 lemon twist, automatic, Cuda back in 1996 at $12,500. The guy just couldn't sell it locally. It was a nice #'s car in strong driver, weak #2 condition. It didn't have any neat options and the color didn't do anything for me. Well, within 10 years of that all Cuda's got red hot, even weak V8's with poor options. I couldn't buy that same car today for under $35,000. I shouldn't have gone with the "crowd." At the same time I passed on a fully restored, #'s, documented, bench seat, column shift, 1969 bronze 383 Roadrunner automatic for $14K. Very common car at that time. Today you couldn't even find that one nice for under $30,000. Who knew? Both of those cars were taken to the larger/regional Chrysler shows where they sold instantly.

When the high end gets pushed too far up, the lower end models find a way to catch up. Chrysler A bodies (1968-1974 Dusters, Demons, Darts) have been playing catch up for the past 10 years too, especially the 340 cars. No one cared much about them in 1996-2004 when Cuda's, Chargers, SuperBees and GTX's were the rage. Yet, even the 2 door V6's have done very well.

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-20-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Firebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 22,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merim123 View Post
a 1993 car is 24 years old today. still going for 500-5k = will never be a 45k investment grade car. That is my point.

Also - all the smog of the 70s created the "old cars were faster and better made". Today that is simply not true with advances in tech.
I definitely agree here, no question about it. The fundamentals just aren't present for a car such as this to ever be "big dollar", period. This is clearly illustrated with the 3rd gens - they are 25-35 years old now, and nobody is beating down any garage doors to get at them, nor is anybody paying "big money" for anything less than the nicest examples in the world (and even then, "big money" is subjective) - just being a rare color alone won't cut it.

But, to Firebrian's point, it's not that a car such as this couldn't ever have some value or following. As he mentioned above, as other options get or remain more expensive (including the increasing cost of new performance cars), there will be a market for special interest/enthusiast-friendly cars that were previously overlooked or shunned. While I definitely agree that it would be a huge mistake to count on a car such as this as a bank account/investment grade, I think it's fair to say that someone will find a bit of value in this car down the road - assuming it's put back together nicely - though there is certainly no guarantee of breaking even since the car will need a bunch of work.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chitown, IL
Posts: 1,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
But, to Firebrian's point, it's not that a car such as this couldn't ever have some value or following. As he mentioned above, as other options get or remain more expensive (including the increasing cost of new performance cars), there will be a market for special interest/enthusiast-friendly cars that were previously overlooked or shunned. While I definitely agree that it would be a huge mistake to count on a car such as this as a bank account/investment grade, I think it's fair to say that someone will find a bit of value in this car down the road - assuming it's put back together nicely - though there is certainly no guarantee of breaking even since the car will need a bunch of work.
No disagreement here. Having been a 16 year old when you could buy a '69 camaro for $3-5k used in 1989 it was still expensive (today's dollars is about 10-11k for a 20 year old car). You can still get some of those cars for 10-15k that are 10 footers and driveable.

When you talk about restoring one of these today, and sitting on it for 10-15 years, i don't think you'll double your money. time will tell...
merim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #13
Teching In
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrian View Post
The OP was talking about a roller SGM M6 car (1 of 1 built) that will cost $5K-$10K to make viable. We're not talking about whether a 600 mile "common" black WS6 M6 being offered for $32K will be worth $45K someday. It likely never will be worth even $30K any time in the future. But a 1 of 1, higher mileage, "off-beat" and "refreshed" SGM could easily be a $15K car 10-15 years from now. It's a personal choice if you want to put away such a car in storage for a decade or more. I wouldn't. Someone else might have the space. Who liked "panther pink" cars back in 1970-1971? Probably only "fools" if you asked around at that time. And even PP in a V6 Challenger/Barracuda is a highly desirable car today. I wouldn't sell short the low production, quirky colors used in the 1998-2000 LS1's.

I remember passing on a original paint, 22K mile 1970 '340 lemon twist, automatic, Cuda back in 1996 at $12,500. The guy just couldn't sell it locally. It was a nice #'s car in strong driver, weak #2 condition. It didn't have any neat options and the color didn't do anything for me. Well, within 10 years of that all Cuda's got red hot, even weak V8's with poor options. I couldn't buy that same car today for under $35,000. I shouldn't have gone with the "crowd." At the same time I passed on a fully restored, #'s, documented, bench seat, column shift, 1969 bronze 383 Roadrunner automatic for $14K. Very common car at that time. Today you couldn't even find that one nice for under $30,000. Who knew? Both of those cars were taken to the larger/regional Chrysler shows where they sold instantly.

When the high end gets pushed too far up, the lower end models find a way to catch up. Chrysler A bodies (1968-1974 Dusters, Demons, Darts) have been playing catch up for the past 10 years too, especially the 340 cars. No one cared much about them in 1996-2004 when Cuda's, Chargers, SuperBees and GTX's were the rage. Yet, even the 2 door V6's have done very well.


"I wouldn't sell short the low production, quirky colors used in the 1998-2000 LS1's."

Right on Brian! I'm banking on this and using other people's past experiences to hopefully set myself up. I've been buying the rare 98-99s for the past decade...in hopes that I get them now while they have low mileage, are in great condition, and are affordable. I don't care too much if they are worth a lot later on because I never plan on selling them...however, I don't want to be stuck paying a fortune for the Camaros I want later in life because I passed up the opportunities that are available currently!
camd98z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:36 AM   #14
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 22,698
Default

Here's a pretty rare SGM car that just popped up for sale:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6074667700.html

Convertible, M6, 90k miles and seems to be in decent shape other than some mentioned driver's seat wear and a bit of haze on the headlights. All for $5500.

The ad clearly indicates that the seller knows the rarity of this car, but he also seems to understand that the market for those specifically seeking SGM is relatively small compared to more popular rare colors (such as HO or SOM.) As such, the car is priced quite aggressively; in fact even *I* have to admit that he might be undervaluing the car...and I generally don't put much stock in the rarity value of the SGM cars with upper 5-figure mileage. This one just seems like quite a deal - perhaps it has a bunch more issues in person? If not, then someone is going to get a great deal if they like this color and want a convertible/M6 combo. If the car was an automatic and T-top/hardtop, I'd consider it myself - a bold statement coming from me as I've always disliked the SGM cars.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chitown, IL
Posts: 1,524
Default

saw it on CL as well, says he had it since 16! would be a good buy for someone that wants a convertible. should sell quick, 5500 for a 98 seems like a good deal. A lot of cars have same miles, want more money and they just stay for sale...

Last edited by merim123; 04-05-2017 at 07:25 AM.
merim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #16
10 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
BassProCamaro97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wauconda IL
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merim123 View Post
saw it on CL as well, says he had it since 16! would be a good buy for someone that wants a convertible. should sell quick, 5500 for a 98 seems like a good deal. A lot of cars have same miles, want more money and they just stay for sale...

I also saw it on CL. Based on the rarity I'd say its a steal. Im not a huge fan of the color combo but there are people who love it. Had i not just bought one i may be pretty tempted.

Jim
BassProCamaro97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #17
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 501
Default

That's a pretty darn good deal for a 1 owner SGM M6 vert no less. When I sold my 1998 A4 with 115K miles in 2009 the dealer got $3800 for it. I would consider this vert, M6 in a neat color to be a far better value at $5500 than my car at around $4,000. First one that shows up to this guy's door with $5,000 cash should take it. It probably won't last past this weekend before it sells, especially since it's now posted here. Most of the offerings for these SGM's seem to be with A4's with 125K-175K miles. Nice to see one with only 90K miles. If that were near me, I'd be hard pressed not to try and buy it....just because. The market for them may be "small." But, offer at the right price and then you have many more who never considered one to be interested. Seems to me most similar cars like this would be offered in the $6500--$8000 range. The seller may not be an LS1Tech.com reader.

From the production list on this site, only 29 M6 Z28 verts were built. Figure no more than 3-5 surviving. Other M6 SGG's would be 97 - Z28 coupes, 11 SS coupes, and 5 SS verts. Sounds like the sellers car is a pretty darn decent survivor.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Firebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #18
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chitown, IL
Posts: 1,524
Default

the one that was great, I had for a few months was a 98 sport gold ws6 (i borrowed it from a family member for a summer), that is one that should not have been sold...oh well This color looks far better on a ws6 than camaro, but personal opinion.
merim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #19
LS1Tech Administrator
iTrader: (3)
 
RPM WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lincolnwood, IL Member: #317
Posts: 22,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrian View Post
The market for them may be "small." But, offer at the right price and then you have many more who never considered one to be interested.
I agree completely. The "right price" can make a car go from undesirable to very interesting for a given individual. I'm a perfect example, as mentioned many times in the past I'm not an SGM fan at all - the only color I dislike more is BPM - but if this car was an auto and t-top/hardtop (and assuming pre-May build date), I would be first in line to check it out since it's close to me. It's been quite a while since I've seen any [apparently] nice condition, 5-digit mileage LS1 F-bodies for sale in my area for ~$5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merim123 View Post
the one that was great, I had for a few months was a 98 sport gold ws6 (i borrowed it from a family member for a summer), that is one that should not have been sold...oh well This color looks far better on a ws6 than camaro, but personal opinion.
Did this happen to be a WS6 Formula? Another local member sent me a picture of a Sport Gold WS6 that he used to see on occasion near my neighborhood, on his commute to work. Not sure where you live in Chicagoland, but this car was spotted on the Niles/Skokie border, by Touhy & Niles Center Rd. This was several years back, don't recall the exact year but it wasn't recent. I think he also mentioned seeing another one somewhere in the Northwest Suburbs, but it had aftermarket wheels - not sure on the time frame for that one.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #20
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chitown, IL
Posts: 1,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
This was several years back, don't recall the exact year but it wasn't recent. I think he also mentioned seeing another one somewhere in the Northwest Suburbs, but it had aftermarket wheels - not sure on the time frame for that one.

would have been a ta ws6, mt prospect, arlington heights typically.
merim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody done a "hood bird" on their 4th gen Trans Am??? AronZ28 Appearance & Detailing 13 04-14-2016 06:00 PM
Tan Leather Seats for 1998 Camaro loc Parts Wanted 0 05-02-2015 04:13 PM
Does it exist 1998 Formula ws6 1le Sport Gold 2001blkformulaws6 New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech 38 07-05-2013 06:28 PM
Wanted: 99 ta medium blue metallic or 98 ta sport gold doindunes Vehicles Wanted 3 11-27-2011 01:20 PM
1998 Sport Gold Metallic Wanted!!!! KJax2010 Vehicles Wanted 34 09-05-2011 12:16 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send