What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What is my car worth? 2000 FormulaLS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my car worth? 2000 FormulaLS1

Hi,

I am trying to evaluate the current worth/value of my car in its current condition. my car is a 2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula LS1 w/82,000miles. The T-tops dont leak, I have put in Bosch Platinum spark plugs, run 91Octane, did a tranny flush and coolant flush and new filters all around. It has absolutely NO rust ( Florida car), bought it in Feb. 2018, spent one winter in a heated garage in western mass, other then that its been in florida its whole life. It has only seen rain a dozen times. Has aftermarket rims and tires. I also have Borla 4" Duel Exhaust Tips, altough theyre not installed right now.
Its navy Blue and runs great. Has LS1 motor, run premium fuel and recent tuneup.
Here are the specs:

Engine: 9/10 5.7L V8 LS1. w/80k

Drivetrain: automatic/ chirps 2nd for some reason everytime its warmed up...8.5/10

Interior: 8.2/10 Few cracks on plastic from sun exposure and door plastics, has aftermarket dashboard cover.

Exterior: 7.4/10 needs new paint on panel between T-TOPS, needs new rear 1/4 panel and front bumper. Minor damage to bumper.

It needs a new passenger side headlight motor, Has an aftermarket CD Player with (2) 16" subs and a receiver in back (not hooked up) and extra driverside T-Top, plus borla duel exhaust tips. -Just gauging what people think valuewise of a formula LS1's Vs T/A LS1's. -Pics below. Thanks

Last edited by HOLDA; 11-11-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 11-10-2018, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

The pictures aren't showing up.

"Interior: 8.2/10 Few cracks on plastic from sun exposure and door plastics, has aftermarket dashboard cover."

That's seems more like 5 out of 10. Cracked door panels and dashboard cover.

Exterior: 7.4/10 needs new paint on panel between T-TOPS, needs new rear 1/4 panel and front bumper. Minor damage to bumper.

Needs a new rear quarter panel and bumper?
That's sounds like about a 5 out 10 for the exterior.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

I agree with 99 Black Bird T/A; sounds like the car is more rough than your grading would suggest.

The door panel cracks and bubbling sail panel are typical problems for your model & year regardless of overall care, so those don't necessarily indicate neglect or abuse, but the other issues are certainly not a "given" for an 80k mile car. If it actually needs an entirely new quarter panel plus a new bumper, that's significant damage so a 5/10 would be generous. Just an FYI on the bubbling/wavy/peeling roof issue - it's not just the paint, the whole panel needs replacement to fix this issue.

Hard to really judge condition without some pictures, especially considering the apparently significant body damage. Value could range widely depending on how badly damaged those areas really are.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Default 2000 formula

I just added pics. The same sun overexposure issue (paint bubbling) is whats on the rear qrtr panel. So maybe i dont need a new one. The interior only has two cracks in it (one on drivers door and small one on dash, even though you cant see it with the cover) i dont think two small cracks would make it a 5/10. -otger then that its clean and perfect.

maybe i dont need a new bumper and qrter panel, since its just paint/sun damage, im just picky and would buy a new one myslef. Im also looking at putting a T/A front bumper on it.. please reread. Attached pics its really not in bad shape at all maybe i was misleading..
Old 11-11-2018, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

BTW - The pictures still aren't showing up.

​​​
Old 11-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Teching In

I don't know what to tell you. Keep trying upload them its not showing up.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Another pic
Old 11-11-2018, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

I can only see one picture, just the rear of the car and it doesn't show whatever the issue is with the quarter panel. Quarter panel replacement is major surgery (metal work), and would only be needed for serious impact/collision damage or significant rust. If it's just bubbling paint, there would be no need for, or benefit to, replacing the whole panel. So things aren't nearly as bad if this piece just needs painting. And bumper cover replacement is considerably less serious than quarter panel replacement, so perhaps things aren't TOO bad after all.

As for the roof though, this is not a simple fix. The issue lies underneath the panel; adhesive is drawn through the panel by sun/heat and causes the bubbling. The panel must be removed and replaced, there is no long term repair option other than panel replacement (the glue permanently damages the panel). All '99+ (and some late '98) F-bodies are faced with this issue, unless they are convertibles. Here's further details on the problem if you're interested:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Let me try another pic
if this doesnt work i give up and ill iust do NADA and add accessories and deduct damage. The roof isnt 'bubbling'
, just looks worn out like white, needs a coat or two. Also could use a front bumper. You guys are pretty spot on though w/accessment otger then scoring tha ks
Old 11-13-2018, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NADA tends to be considerably lower than market value for LS1 Camaro's and Firebirds.....for anything under approx 100K-125K miles.

Best bet for pricing would be good photos examined by members here. Your 2nd best sources are comparable "sold" cars on Ebay and/or the lowest 10-15% asking prices on autotrader.com.

Your rear photo of the car looks to be pretty clean overall. Don't see issues with the roof from this view.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-13-2018 at 10:36 AM.