What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

How much is my 02 Camaro worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How much is my 02 Camaro worth?

Soooo its been over 10 years since I posted anything on LS1Tech. Long story short, started having kids so the muscle car got put to the bottom of the priority list. Fast forward to today and I'm now getting divorced and surprise surprise the Camaro is getting brought up in court by my ex. She said something to the effect of "And also your honor, he has a really nice Camaro with a bunch engine work done to it so I know its worth a lot of money." Were in CA so she is unfortunately entitled to half of its value and I understand that, but the value of it is where it gets contentious. I've been out of the car game for a while now so I'm pretty rusty on this stuff, but maybe you guys can give me a better idea. Red 2002 Camaro z28 w/ SS hood and spoiler, T-top, leather and LS2 swapped w/ 5.3 heads, custom cam, built 6 speed transmission, TSP X-pipe and headers out to a built Ford 9" all swapped in by previous owner at around 50k miles (but no documents available on when done). I got it at about 80k miles, currently sits at 93k miles. My judge gives off 0 car guy vibes, so I suspect he hears her description and pictures some hot rod 69 Camaro w/ 80 grand into it like something he's seen walking through a car show. This thing is now 20 years old and has sat for almost 8 years now, currently has some kind of heating issue, (found leaking coolant but didn't track its source, could be a hose but could also be the radiator) along w/ a myriad of minor leaks and little annoyances that come with a modified car. last registered in 2016. Tires are shot, sail panel bubbling like a ************, and I haven't turned the engine over in almost 3 years. The court goes off a KBB value but I'm not sure how accurate it is giving what it would take to make it ready for sale or ask someone to tow it and do the work themselves. I checked Craigslist and there's literally only 3 for sale within 60 miles of the Bay Area, 2 unmolested 35th Anny's which are hard to compare to mine and one black 2000 SS which combined with the KBB, makes the numbers all over the map. Would it be worth it to have it appraised? or is that doing too much? This thing has a big *** surging cam and a spooled 9" rear end, which means **** all to my ex and the judge who cant understand, there's not a lot of people other than a serious gear head, who wants to buy and drive this kind of car.

Old 03-10-2023, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the divorce, I hope that you can find some happiness and relief when the process is finally over.

As for the Camaro, all that really matters is this:

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1's
The court goes off a KBB value but I'm not sure how accurate it is giving what it would take to make it ready for sale or ask someone to tow it and do the work themselves.
All the mods and such don't really mean anything in this case, the only way their value could be attained by the court would be an appraisal (so she'd have to insist on such). But the appraisal probably wouldn't help her case any, given the condition of the car. Sounds like, in its current state, it would be at the lower end of examples with comparable mileage. Thing is, the appraisal costs money so that's a factor to consider in the overall net settlement regarding the car.

Bottom line, it's not any kind of special edition original car, it's not low mileage or show quality, and it sounds like it has several issues. Best (or worst, depending on your view) case, the car would fall in the middle of the KBB spectrum. But if you do have it appraised and it's in non-running condition at that time (this would be a good thing for your purpose), then I would expect the value to be at the basement of KBB (or perhaps lower) - so the appraisal might be worth it in that instance.
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

No appraisal!!! They always price cars higher than what they are worth. It makes owners happy and the insurance companies can charge you more. There is no WIN in getting a car appraised in this divorce situation. If you want honest opinions, your car has appeal only to people that love modded used cars. How many buyers are out there just itching to get their hands on your car as it sits with cash in hand??? How about 'very few'. You might find folks with $5,000 calling you but not at $10k, no way.
I would not want your car and collectors would not either. That's honesty at it's ultimate level. Your car is worth the bottom of the KBB price range. Stick to your guns and hopefully the judge is not a man hater.
When all is finished and you are FREE again, we welcome you back into the F-body world if you decide to return with another.
Nathan C (03-20-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

In general I agree with NC01TA above, appraisals are almost always on the high side but I've personally seen at least one type of exception. Back in 2019 we had to get a vehicle appraised while dealing with the estate liquidation of a relative. This was a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood, had about 40,000 miles and was in the sort of nice cosmetic condition (other than being very dusty) you would expect from car of this mileage (which had always been garage kept). Only issue is that the car didn't run, hadn't been started in 16 years at that point. This really hurt the appraisal figure as there was no real ability to asses its mechanical condition. On paper, this is similar to your car, meaning a non-antique (at that time), non-special/non-collector car that was old and non-running. The appraisal ended up being lower than the low end of average KBB value (for that mileage) at that time.

So if the car is non-running (which is what you want here), there is a chance that the appraisal might work in your favor. I'm not necessarily recommending this route, but if your ex (or the judge) insists on this, as long as the car is non-running I don't think it's going to end up on the high side of things.
NC01TA (03-12-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Unfortunately, my wife had an affair and I too am now divorced. It's amazing how SHE had the affair, destroyed the marriage, but she walked off with our daughter, half the equity of the house, and got a large sum of child support each month, which fortunately for me, finally ends at the end of this month. The courts are soooo biased towards the woman in divorce EVEN if she's the one screwing around! You have my sympathies. Been there, done that, yes it sucks.

Fortunately for me, I bought my '98 Z28 about 4 years before we got married and in GA, since I owned it BEFORE the marriage, she couldn't touch it or have any stake in it's value. I kept my daily driver and my Z28, and she kept her car.

Keep your head up, you will recover, and things will get better. It takes a few years I've found, but you will come out of this alright.

Oh, the car...a non-running car should easily be considered in "poor" condition and I'd get several online quotes. Maybe even try a quote from Carvana or Carmax or something and be sure to describe the poor condition. They may see it and even decide they don't want it, which actually means the value may be $0 since you can only sell something for what someone's willing to pay.

The following 2 users liked this post by BandDirector Blk98ZM6:
Nathan C (03-20-2023), NC01TA (03-12-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
If you want honest opinions, your car has appeal only to people that love modded used cars. How many buyers are out there just itching to get their hands on your car as it sits with cash in hand??? How about 'very few'. You might find folks with $5,000 calling you but not at $10k, no way.
My thoughts exactly.
NC01TA (03-12-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
Unfortunately, my wife had an affair and I too am now divorced. It's amazing how SHE had the affair, destroyed the marriage, but she walked off with our daughter, half the equity of the house, and got a large sum of child support each month, which fortunately for me, finally ends at the end of this month. The courts are soooo biased towards the woman in divorce EVEN if she's the one screwing around! You have my sympathies. Been there, done that, yes it sucks.
Similar, she wanted to separate for a while to "Think and find herself". I filed the divorce papers about 2 weeks later after I discovered "Think and find herself" meant other dicks. All total I've lost about 22k in child support and lawyer fees, the 09 Tahoe I financed for our family is about 1100 bucks from paid off and its gonna go directly to her, all 14K value of it, and honestly its whatever. But its petty as **** to wanna squeeze a few extra dollars out of, what is essentially a 3500 pound dust collector. That I'm really only holding onto so me and my sons have something cool we can share and tinker on together when they get older.

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6

Oh, the car...a non-running car should easily be considered in "poor" condition and I'd get several online quotes. Maybe even try a quote from Carvana or Carmax or something and be sure to describe the poor condition. They may see it and even decide they don't want it, which actually means the value may be $0 since you can only sell something for what someone's willing to pay.
I didn't even think of them, I'm gonna check and see what they say. As my lawyer explained..... Judges love documents or opinions from experts, the less they have to make rulings on things based off the word of 2 people who hate each other the better.

Nathan C (03-20-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In general I agree with NC01TA above, appraisals are almost always on the high side but I've personally seen at least one type of exception. Back in 2019 we had to get a vehicle appraised while dealing with the estate liquidation of a relative. This was a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood, had about 40,000 miles and was in the sort of nice cosmetic condition (other than being very dusty) you would expect from car of this mileage (which had always been garage kept). Only issue is that the car didn't run, hadn't been started in 16 years at that point. This really hurt the appraisal figure as there was no real ability to asses its mechanical condition. On paper, this is similar to your car, meaning a non-antique (at that time), non-special/non-collector car that was old and non-running. The appraisal ended up being lower than the low end of average KBB value (for that mileage) at that time.

So if the car is non-running (which is what you want here), there is a chance that the appraisal might work in your favor. I'm not necessarily recommending this route, but if your ex (or the judge) insists on this, as long as the car is non-running I don't think it's going to end up on the high side of things.
The judge is fine with a KBB value, and my ex is obviously ok with the KBB numbers too. So its really up to me to make the argument of its true value based on the extenuating circumstances which KBB cant take into account. How much is an appraisal? Also what constitutes a non running car? Can they still appraise it if I'm not comfortable trying to turn it over without all the prep work/money for a car idled for this long. Or do they really need to hear it run?
Old 03-11-2023, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sorry for the rough turn of events. Wish you the best.

FWIW - I'd check the date code on the car's tires. The value is poor/recondition needed not too KBB since the car almost certainly needs a new set of tires. Likewise with other issues etc if they exist.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Sorry for the rough turn of events. Wish you the best.

FWIW - I'd check the date code on the car's tires. The value is poor/recondition needed not too KBB since the car almost certainly needs a new set of tires. Likewise with other issues etc if they exist.
Yea KBB's lowest option is Fair. It says they don't provide values for a car in poor condition, which I feel mine is. Seems more than likely I need to pay for an independent assessment on it, which would still be way cheaper than handing over half the value of an inaccurate printout from KBB.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1's
How much is an appraisal? Also what constitutes a non running car? Can they still appraise it if I'm not comfortable trying to turn it over without all the prep work/money for a car idled for this long. Or do they really need to hear it run?
The vehicle appraisal was part of a larger estate appraisal, and lawyers (plus an estate manager) were involved so I didn't get a specific line item cost for just the car portion alone (or if I did, it was buried so deep in paperwork that I didn't see it). But they did indeed give an appraised value for the car even though it was not possible to get it running without significant work (again, this is likely why it was such a low number).
Old 03-12-2023, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Appraisals are NOT cheap. I haven't had one done in over 30 years. It was for a 1975 Bricklin I owned that needed an appraisal for insurance valuation. It was $200 way back then so i can't imagine what one is today, but like everything else, probably doubled.. By the way, It was a $10,000 car in reality that the appraiser said was worth $22,000. Not even close. What a waste of $$$ all around. I'll repeat my earlier advice, SKIP the appraisal or you may get a result like mine.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Sell it to a trusted friend for 1000 bucks. Bad fuel filter doesn't run. Give her half and buy it back later.
The following 2 users liked this post by B4CMaro:
Nathan C (03-20-2023), NC01TA (03-13-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Appraisals are NOT cheap. I haven't had one done in over 30 years. It was for a 1975 Bricklin I owned that needed an appraisal for insurance valuation. It was $200 way back then so i can't imagine what one is today, but like everything else, probably doubled.. By the way, It was a $10,000 car in reality that the appraiser said was worth $22,000. Not even close. What a waste of $$$ all around. I'll repeat my earlier advice, SKIP the appraisal or you may get a result like mine.
I hear you, but the alternative is the judge just goes off the KBB printout which says its at a 6k to 10k value. That could cost me anywhere from 3k - 5k which would be like I just gave her the entire value of the car. You and a few others confirmed what I assumed, this a 90k mile car with mechanical issues along with heavy modifications that actually don't add value and maybe even hurts the value depending on who is looking at it. An appraisal "might" come back way over but after 22k lost so far what's another 4 to 6 hundred bucks?
NC01TA (03-13-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B4CMaro
Sell it to a trusted friend for 1000 bucks. Bad fuel filter doesn't run. Give her half and buy it back later.
I like your style.......if only I could actually do it. Smh
Old 03-20-2023, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 619 Likes on 489 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you're in CA, doesn't it have to pass smog? And isn't a car that can't pass smog due to mods basically worthless? If you could prove it won't pass smog and the fact that the car would only be good for scrap value, THEN you sell it to the trusted friend for "scrap".

Quick Reply: How much is my 02 Camaro worth?