Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
i didn't read all of the posts, but i would recomend you not narrow the rear more than 1/2" per side.

i have an s60 that is shortened either 1" or 1.25" per side. i forget. and strano/konis.
i have rpm 505's 19x9.5 with narrow vredestein tires and it fits fine. it tucks the wheels quite a bit the way i like it it. no problems here.
with other wheels, you will have a problem unless you go 15's or 16's. and that will depend on the offset.
i have problems with 17x10.5 TTM wheels on sumos. i have a 1/4" spacer and had to cut my lca's since i didn't want to buy offset lca's. the inner fender is beat to **** with a fender roll. i'm not confident in launching hard on this setup because of the scare of rubbing/cutting on the lca's. i'm at the point where if these tires got deflated, i would be in some deep ****.
i did have the TTM wheels with a 1" adapter and it was fine for the most part i needed a fender roll. before the fender roll, i cut chunks out of my tires. this is all with an adjustable panhard.

plan this out hard or be prepared to buy $3k+ wheels or minitubbing. eventually i will have to mini tub to get wider tires on. using specs that are too close will put you where i'm at.
I honestly don't understand what your trying to say. Narrowing the rear end has nothing to do with the width of a wheel. If a 17x11 will fit stock, it will fit on a narrowed rear end WITH THE CORRECT BACKSPACING. Smokedoutz has a set of 17x12s on his car and he mentioned that they fit without and beating. I'm planning on rolling my fender lips too, that way I don't have to worry about it.

You mentioned you narrowed the rear 1" per side, meaning that if you run a 1" wheel spacer a wheel designed for a stock f-body then it will fit perfect. Thats just common sense.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a dick, but I'm planning on getting custom wheels built for a 4" narrowed rear. I just don't see why you are trying to put stock wheels on a narrowed rear and expect them to fit.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I honestly don't understand what your trying to say. Narrowing the rear end has nothing to do with the width of a wheel. If a 17x11 will fit stock, it will fit on a narrowed rear end WITH THE CORRECT BACKSPACING. Smokedoutz has a set of 17x12s on his car and he mentioned that they fit without and beating. I'm planning on rolling my fender lips too, that way I don't have to worry about it.

ask SmokedOutZ28 what he has as options for wheels in the sub $2k range since you said you didn't want to spend $3k for wheels.

You mentioned you narrowed the rear 1" per side, meaning that if you run a 1" wheel spacer a wheel designed for a stock f-body then it will fit perfect. Thats just common sense.
i don't have confidence in launching with a 1" adapter so don't go in this thinking that you can get back to stock wheel options by using a 2" adapter and feel safe.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a dick, but I'm planning on getting custom wheels built for a 4" narrowed rear. I just don't see why you are trying to put stock wheels on a narrowed rear and expect them to fit.
i'm all for you getting a 4" narrow and coming back here to show us your new $5k wheels and tires.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

i'm all for you getting a 4" narrow and coming back here to show us your new $5k wheels and tires.
Are you retarded or something?

You realize 2 inches off each side (4 inches narrower..) would make the rear end the size of a regular Third Gen's rear right?

You sure as hell don't need to spend 5k to get custom wheels for a Third Gen, why the **** would you need to spend 5k to get custom wheels for a 4th gen?

Common. Sense. People. GOD.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Parasoth
Are you retarded or something?

You realize 2 inches off each side (4 inches narrower..) would make the rear end the size of a regular Third Gen's rear right?

You sure as hell don't need to spend 5k to get custom wheels for a Third Gen, why the **** would you need to spend 5k to get custom wheels for a 4th gen?

Common. Sense. People. GOD.
i don't appreciate you being childish. post up some inexpensive 3rd gen options in a 9.5 and up wheel.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Dude whats your problem? I don't want to run stock wheels, and I am not going to try to make them fit with a narrowed rear. I may run spacers for a little bit, but I can tell you that I will drive the car completely different.

There are wheels out there that won't cost too much for a custom offset. TT2s are an example, they will cost more than the regular TT2s, but not cost the price of a billet set of wheels.

But if I end up spending 5k on wheels, I'll be happy to post up pics for you
Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TT2s are an example, they will cost more than the regular TT2s
TT2s, along with many other wheels, are usually the same price regaurdless of the backspace/offset.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude whats your problem? I don't want to run stock wheels, and I am not going to try to make them fit with a narrowed rear. I may run spacers for a little bit, but I can tell you that I will drive the car completely different.

There are wheels out there that won't cost too much for a custom offset. TT2s are an example, they will cost more than the regular TT2s, but not cost the price of a billet set of wheels.

But if I end up spending 5k on wheels, I'll be happy to post up pics for you
i was seriously giving you a heads up on problems with narrowing a rear and wheel choices but you come at me like i'm hating on you. good luck on the car.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

i was seriously giving you a heads up on problems with narrowing a rear and wheel choices but you come at me like i'm hating on you. good luck on the car.
I understand where you are coming from, but I understand that I'm going to have to spend money to make it work. But I'd rather have something differeent, and I can get wheels that won't break the bank for now and spend more down the road.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Well I found a set of wheels that I like that I can order directly from summit, but the price seems kind of out of line. I have found the wheels from other places online for $100 a wheel less, but can't find them in the correct offset.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-CL2057116560/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-CL2057956170/

And I know that they are 2 different bolt patterns, thats a different story. But it looks like these will be perfect as far as fit goes, I'd still really like to get 18s especially since I will be spending over $1400 just for the wheels. And I would more than likely repaint the centers of the wheels to give them a custom touch.

So if anyone has suggestions for 18s that will be roughly the same price post them up or PM me a link, $360 a wheel for 17s, I don't know if I can justify that
Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Well I found a set of wheels that I like that I can order directly from summit, but the price seems kind of out of line. I have found the wheels from other places online for $100 a wheel less, but can't find them in the correct offset.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-CL2057116560/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-CL2057956170/

And I know that they are 2 different bolt patterns, thats a different story. But it looks like these will be perfect as far as fit goes, I'd still really like to get 18s especially since I will be spending over $1400 just for the wheels. And I would more than likely repaint the centers of the wheels to give them a custom touch.

So if anyone has suggestions for 18s that will be roughly the same price post them up or PM me a link, $360 a wheel for 17s, I don't know if I can justify that
we sell those and regular TT2s and these look a whole lot better. the hoops are totally different and shine alot better than the TT2. i think they are worth the price difference, maybe thats just because i want them to though
Old 08-28-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slowbrakiller
we sell those and regular TT2s and these look a whole lot better. the hoops are totally different and shine alot better than the TT2. i think they are worth the price difference, maybe thats just because i want them to though
Do these have the same stepped lip as the regular TT2s? I really like them, but I strongly dislike the stepped lip of the TT2s.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

15x 10 3.375" backspace. Its 4" narrowed per side so that equates to a 7.375" backspace for a stock rear. Those are 28x13.50-15's on it.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

3" narrowed per side. Greg weld fronts. Summit Stars 15x10 with 4.5'' of backspacing running 275/60/15 MT's. Had to run a quarter inch spacer due to extreme caliper grinding. Still on stock Suspension at the moment. Will be lowering soon. I too am looking for a street trim setup. Seems like torque thrust II's are the most reasonable option.
Attached Thumbnails Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels-rides-005.jpg   Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels-rides-004.jpg   Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels-rides-006.jpg  
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I too am looking for a set of deep dish wheels that people dont normally run.Just want something clean.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Well hopefully by the end of the month I'll be picking up my rear thats 4" narrower than the stock rear. Then I'll worry about wheels :think:

Quick Reply: Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels